Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

35,680 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Sandro is probably the best in that position in world football, a better full on LB, and we have no other players in that position. We need another LWB. When Alonso went off against United we had no one good enough in that position, Sandro gives us strength in depth all top sides need and have - being able to rotate with Alonso, and in terms of formation.

Alonso had a great season but I have my doubts about him being a truly world class WB, and he's our only player who can play that position - definitely need another player there. 

Apparently Sandro is going to put in a transfer request as he wants to come here. Hope so, would be an excellent signing. Definitely a major upgrade on Alonso.

Buying a CB means Dave can go to RWB full time, so effectively gives us a new signing there. It's totally strategic and necessary. 

Buying a LWB of that standard when Alonso was arguably one of the best players for us last season isn't necessary, it's poor planning. Over £100m for left backs could have been spent a lot better. 

Hell it could have gotten us another world class attacking player who would have made a proper difference. 

We don't need a new first choice LWB. We need cover. We can get that for less than £60m and there are other much more pressing issues we need to throw money at in this squad. 

A striker and CM are absolutely necessary and they need to be world class players. Those alone can cost us £150m+. In light of that, it's insanity spending that sort of cash on Sandro, insanity

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Buying a LWB of that standard when Alonso was arguably one of the best players for us last season isn't necessary, it's poor planning. Over £100m for left backs could have been spent a lot better. 

Hell it could have gotten us another world class attacking player who would have made a proper difference. 

We don't need a new first choice LWB. We need cover. We can get that for less than £60m and there are other much more pressing issues we need to throw money at in this squad. 

A striker and CM are absolutely necessary and they need to be world class players. Those alone can cost us £150m+. In light of that, it's insanity spending that sort of cash on Sandro, insanity

 

Agreed. We don't need a replacement for Alonso, he's capable enough and shown that. All we need is someone who can complete with him and maybe offer a few different qualities. That way we have the option to seamlessly rotate depending on tactical requirement and opposition.

Main areas of invest are right down the spine of the side; CB, CM, ST. A strong core that we can then build around further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Buying a LWB of that standard when Alonso was arguably one of the best players for us last season isn't necessary, it's poor planning. Over £100m for left backs could have been spent a lot better. 

Hell it could have gotten us another world class attacking player who would have made a proper difference. 

We don't need a new first choice LWB. We need cover. We can get that for less than £60m and there are other much more pressing issues we need to throw money at in this squad. 

A striker and CM are absolutely necessary and they need to be world class players. Those alone can cost us £150m+. In light of that, it's insanity spending that sort of cash on Sandro, insanity

 

It really isn't. Alonso isn't a world class LB. He just isn't. Even this season he had games where he was very vulnerable defensively. And when he was injured we had no back up whatsoever.

Fact is we don't have any other players in that position. At all.

It would be insanity not to get another quality LB in. Which is why we are doing it.

Alonso doesn't need "replacing". But we need more quality in depth at LB. 

He is a much better player than Alonso. And it means we have quality in depth in that position, so if one gets injured, it doesn't change a thing in the dynamic of the team.

Top teams improve even when they look strong. I remember when Cole arrived everyone said we didn't need him as we had Bridge. Cole became arguably the best LB the club have ever had, Bridge ended up at Fulham.

Its pretty clear we need more quality and strength in depth in that position. And getting in the best player in that position around, who will improve us without doubt, is great work by the club. 

We are getting a top striker, a top CB and a quality midfielder - and potentially a winger or possibly second striker as well. We have the money to spend.

Sandro would be a top class signing and a upgrade on Alonso. And would allow us to play 4 at the back if necessary. It's a no brainer. 

Edited by James Prescott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Can/could Alonso  play as one of the back 3?

In my opinion it'd probably turn out to be the best position for him. He is a very intelligent defender, good in the air and comfortable in possession. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need another LWB but I don't think we need a world beater, Alonso was brilliant last season. I'm the first to admit that he lacks pace and the ability to dribble, but he has what Malouda(wasn't anywhere near the best in his position for pace and skill) had which is intelligence; he takes up the right positions at the right time, which makes up for a lack of pace. Alonso's knowledge of the game is up there with the very best, a Cesc of the LWBs to better explain it; pace and skill isn't always needed. The one thing we would lose massively is defence, Sandro's pace bails him out far too often than it should. We need a balanced left midfielder who is willing to play wingback, for example of a Valencia, Moses, Young and Chamberlein mould; someone who won't break the bank either. We need more firepower from striker and attacking midfield positions to spend money on, not LWB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

(Alonso in back 3)  In my opinion it'd probably turn out to be the best position for him. He is a very intelligent defender, good in the air and comfortable in possession. 

I agree, especially as he moves on from 26 to 29.
I also think that the very concept of CB changes when you move to writing 3 of them on the team sheet instead of 2 while opponents still only have 1 up front.  Right now we have Azpi as the guy who moves up to support midfield  (mostly Azpi, occasionally Cahill) while typically Cahill picks up the striker and Luiz covers.  Azpi needs all the tactical expertise of a WB in deciding where to be and when, and I think Alonso could do that very well too.

1 minute ago, GURJ SS said:

We need another LWB but I don't think we need a world beater, Alonso was brilliant last season. 

We have Courtois, Hazard, currently Costa, Fabregas, Azpi and of course Kante.  These are all world class players IMO while Luiz, Willian, Pedro are very good players and Alonso is not at all out of place  (very good but not brilliant - much of the success out wide came from us dominating and winning 50/50s all over the pitch - which has traditionally always been key to wide players being successful and drags their markers infield).

I agree some options would be good, but I'd be more worried about keeping or improving on that World Class 6, upgrading on the two weak regular starters and improving in the core squad positions of AM4 and CF2.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

It really isn't. Alonso isn't a world class LB. He just isn't. Even this season he had games where he was very vulnerable defensively. And when he was injured we had no back up whatsoever.

Fact is we don't have any other players in that position. At all.

It would be insanity not to get another quality LB in. Which is why we are doing it.

Alonso doesn't need "replacing". But we need more quality in depth at LB. 

He is a much better player than Alonso. And it means we have quality in depth in that position, so if one gets injured, it doesn't change a thing in the dynamic of the team.

Top teams improve even when they look strong. I remember when Cole arrived everyone said we didn't need him as we had Bridge. Cole became arguably the best LB the club have ever had, Bridge ended up at Fulham.

Its pretty clear we need more quality and strength in depth in that position. And getting in the best player in that position around, who will improve us without doubt, is great work by the club. 

We are getting a top striker, a top CB and a quality midfielder - and potentially a winger or possibly second striker as well. We have the money to spend.

Sandro would be a top class signing and a upgrade on Alonso. And would allow us to play 4 at the back if necessary. It's a no brainer. 

I seriously can't be bothered to engage with you during the transfer window. It's like operating in a parallel universe. 

Lets just assume we have £200m to spend this window. Personally I don't think we will spend that sort of cash. Maybe £150m at a stretch. 

So that gives us Sandro and Lukaku. What problems have we solved exactly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alonso doesn't need replacing. Alonso was PL Class last year that's all we need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zaffo said:

Agreed. We don't need a replacement for Alonso, he's capable enough and shown that. All we need is someone who can complete with him and maybe offer a few different qualities. That way we have the option to seamlessly rotate depending on tactical requirement and opposition.

Main areas of invest are right down the spine of the side; CB, CM, ST. A strong core that we can then build around further.

I'd agree of course. My main issue is whether we need a new CB. 

For me a more than good enough squad next season would be;

GK: Courtois, GK2, Eduardo

DF: Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Christensen, Ake

WB: Moses, Alonso, new WB (preferably being able to play both L and R)

CM: Kante, Matic, Fabregas, Chalobah, new CM

AM: Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Baker, Loftus-Cheek, New AM

S: New S, Bats, Abraham 

Given Costa seems to be off. If not, we could save ourselves a lot of dough... The bulk of the £150m or so we'd realistically spend should be on the S, AM and CM positions. Both Alonso and Chalobah are able to play at CB... Bonucci would be great of course but how likely is it? Not very likely at all I'm afraid... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

We need another LWB but I don't think we need a world beater, Alonso was brilliant last season. I'm the first to admit that he lacks pace and the ability to dribble, but he has what Malouda(wasn't anywhere near the best in his position for pace and skill) had which is intelligence; he takes up the right positions at the right time, which makes up for a lack of pace. Alonso's knowledge of the game is up there with the very best, a Cesc of the LWBs to better explain it; pace and skill isn't always needed. The one thing we would lose massively is defence, Sandro's pace bails him out far too often than it should. We need a balanced left midfielder who is willing to play wingback, for example of a Valencia, Moses, Young and Chamberlein mould; someone who won't break the bank either. We need more firepower from striker and attacking midfield positions to spend money on, not LWB.

Alonso was amazing last season. He's not a player we need replacing. 

If we want to replace any of the WBs it's Moses we need an upgrade on - not Alonso... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now