Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

35,680 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

For me a more than good enough squad next season would be;

GK................: Courtois, GK2, Eduardo

DF: Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Christensen, Ake

WB: Moses, Alonso, new WB (preferably being able to play both L and R)

CM: Kante, Matic, Fabregas, Chalobah, new CM

AM: Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Baker, Loftus-Cheek, New AM

S: New S, Bats, Abraham 

I entirely agree that Ake and Chalobah can and should contribute to the squad.  I doubt that either Baker or RLC add anything useful at all - they simply won't get picked except in emergencies and in games that don't matter.  And both of these (and Abraham) will be far more useful to us in the future if they are playing football regularly (and at a higher standard than the Dutch league => Championship, PL, or a decent German team)

22 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I'd agree of course. My main issue is whether we need a new CB. 

For me a more than good enough squad next season would be;

GK: Courtois, GK2, Eduardo

DF: Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Christensen, Ake

WB: Moses, Alonso, new WB (preferably being able to play both L and R)

CM: Kante, Matic, Fabregas, Chalobah, new CM

AM: Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Baker, Loftus-Cheek, New AM

S: New S, Bats, Abraham 

Given Costa seems to be off. If not, we could save ourselves a lot of dough... The bulk of the £150m or so we'd realistically spend should be on the S, AM and CM positions. Both Alonso and Chalobah are able to play at CB... Bonucci would be great of course but how likely is it? Not very likely at all I'm afraid... 

I think Conte wants another established CB to strengthen on what we have. He made the best of what he had last season and a strong foundation is key. While it would allow us to reshuffle Azpi over to RWB and solving the need to bring someone in there. I also don't think all those younger players will be here, particularly Abraham. Pre-season will determine a lot of who stays and goes. 

GK: Courtois, GK2, Eduardo

CB: Luiz, Cahill, <New CB>, Christensen, Hector/Ake

WB: Moses, Alonso, Azpilicueta, <New LWB>

CM: Kante, Matic, Fabregas, Chalobah, <New CM>

AM: Hazard, Willian, Pedro,  <New AM/CF>, Baker/Musonda,

S: <New CF>, Bats, <NEW CF*>

* Would depend if we sign a straight out AM or someone capable of playing both AM/CF

I think we're likely to see RLC head out on loan to play regularly for once. Ake could also follow suit if he wants regular football to maintain a NT position heading into the WC, being 5th choice CB and reserve LWB probably won't suit him and his position in the squad could be comfortably covered by one of our returning loan CB's like a Hector/Miazga. I can only see one of Baker and Musonda remaining, although Baker could technically provide extra CM cover and act as an understudy to Fabregas - may also depend on Matic's future. Abraham won't remain and everything points to him playing next season elsewhere on loan at this point. 

That's 25 players, possibly 26 if both Baker and Musonda remain.

27 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I entirely agree that Ake and Chalobah can and should contribute to the squad.  I doubt that either Baker or RLC add anything useful at all - they simply won't get picked except in emergencies and in games that don't matter.  And both of these (and Abraham) will be far more useful to us in the future if they are playing football regularly (and at a higher standard than the Dutch league => Championship, PL, or a decent German team)

Maybe. 

But I think it's quite ok to highlight how useless Harry Kane looked in the championship before making it to the big times. 

Sometimes you need to be given a proper chance.

Make of this what you will...

Gonzalo Higuain posted a goodbye message to Juventus teammate Dani Alves, then quickly removed it from social media.

There had already been some speculation the Brazilian would be moving on just one year into his Turin experience.

He is reported to want a longer contract, but the Bianconeri aren’t prepared to go too far, so a Premier League or Chinese move seems likely.

Higuain sparked more controversy when he posted a goodbye message on social media.

“It was a pleasure playing with you. I wish you the best and hope to spend time together again soon,” noted Pipita.

However, it was swiftly taken down, suggesting Higuain had jumped the gun on something that was not yet supposed to be in the public domain.

Dani Alves has been linked with a move to Chelsea or Manchester City.

I think given the cost of Lukaku we are going to exceed £200 million - and frankly given we've already brought in about £40 million this summer, plus the £60 million from Oscar, the potential money from the sales of Traore (up to £20 million apparently), and two of possibly Matic, Costa and Willian - plus our money from the title win, TV money, and sponsorship, I'd say we have well enough to cover this kind of expenditure. 

There's also players like Remy, Hector and Van Ginkel who we can sell to bring in income as well. 

In terms of spending, if we get the players we are linked most often with, Sandro will likely be £60 million, Lukaku is likely to be about £80-90 million. Then you add Bakayoko for about £40 million, a CB for approx £50 million, plus Caballero (and possibly Alves, given Higuain just posted then deleted a full goodbye message to him on social media) on a free, and that's a superb summer - for about £240 million.

That's not beyond our spending power and, especially with Christensen and possibly Musonda coming back too, according to some reports, would give us huge strength in depth to challenge for the PL and CL next season. It would likely mean Batshuayi staying - but there would definitely be options to rotate or play him with Lukaku given we have more fixtures next season.

But it's all speculation right now. It's encouraging though to be linked with players of the quality of Sandro, Lukaku and Bakayoko, without doubt. All would make us much stronger. 

6 hours ago, James Prescott said:

OK, forget the freaking argument 'we can make it back on shirt sales'. Forget it completely. I don't "continue claiming". I said it in one post. That's it. Yet you set the dogs on me like I'm some criminal. 

If we spend a huge amount on a marquee signing, it improves our chances of success on the pitch. And success on the pitch brings in more income. £150 million in prize money and PL money last season proves that. Winning the CL is probably just as lucrative. 

Honestly, it was a small argument - and clearly, from the evidence, not accurate. Fine. I accept that. 

But doesn't mean we shouldn't sign world class players - Ronaldo is up there with the best in the world right now, without any doubt whatsoever, and without doubt would improve us, and maybe help us win the CL, and although it wouldn't pay the fee, there's no doubt it would increase our income from shirt sales and merchandising.

Personally though, I want good players for the sake of having good players, not for their financial benefits.

I suggest you re-read your old posts going back several years in this thread. Every transfer window you claim we could buy so-and-so for some inflated price on the basis we could recoup the money in shirt sales. It's not one, solitary, post; it's many going back six, seven, maybe more transfer windows (probably more given your 13,800+ posts!).

As for success bringing in more income; yes that happens, but spending £150m on Ronaldo, for example, isn't going to bring you £150m of extra income on top of the money you'd earn from winning competitions and being on TV anyway, whether he was in the squad or not.

If we started the season with:

GK: Courtois, Eduardo, GK?;

CB: Luiz, Cahill, Azpi, Zouma, Ake, Christensen;

WB: Moses, Alonso, WB?;

CM: Cesc, Kante, Matic, Chalobah, CM?(Bakayoko);

AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, RLC, AM?;

CF: Bats, CF?(Lukaku), CF????;

We win the league again, but the CL will depend on who we bring in at attacking mid and if we get someone like Mortata as well as Lukaku. Our defence was fine last season, Christensen and Ake will only bolster the defence; of course Bonucci would improve us, but I think he is the only player in the world worth chasing for defence at the moment. 

19 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Maybe. 

But I think it's quite ok to highlight how useless Harry Kane looked in the championship before making it to the big times. 

Sometimes you need to be given a proper chance.

That is a bit like the Drogba argument - he came good late so we should sign a thousand 21 year olds that don't yet have professional contracts - it would be a lot cheaper than signing Drogba after he'd impressed at Marseilles.  (Now called the Kante argument).

The Championship does not lack young players who have not stood out yet.   Chelsea have a couple of dozen too.

Besides, RLC has been given plenty of chances at Chelsea to date.  Certainly more than Lukaku, Cuadrado, Michy, Marin or Salah ever got.  If he is half as good as people say, he'll only need 6 months to prove it.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

That is a bit like the Drogba argument - he came good late so we should sign a thousand 21 year olds that don't yet have professional contracts - it would be a lot cheaper than signing Drogba after he'd impressed at Marseilles.  (Now called the Kante argument).

The Championship does not lack young players who have not stood out yet.   Chelsea have a couple of dozen too.

Besides, RLC has been given plenty of chances at Chelsea to date.  Certainly more than Lukaku, Cuadrado, Michy, Marin or Salah ever got.  If he is half as good as people say, he'll only need 6 months to prove it.

Tammy is ready for his chance, if he is good enough for a loan to the PL he is good enough for his chance - or the flip side is that we don't bother giving young players a chance and just buy them back for £70M+. I think fans get caught between wanting the club to bring through talent and wanting to win it all every season; we will have to accept that if we bring through talent that it will cost us a few matches.

Regarding RLC, in my opinion bringing him on when we've given up attacking or when throwing the kitchen sink is the same as not playing him, when a player is given a chance they must be starting alongside the first team's first selection, and not the 3rd selection - otherwise he might as well go play with the reserves. 

Edited by GURJ SS