• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

bert19   
4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

do we really need to spend that sort of money on a LWB? Seems a lot to spend in what isn't a problem area. 

Would be quite happy to stick with Alonso and use one of Baba, Kenedy or Ake as back up. 

Can play left back, left wing-back, centre back and in midfield.  I think that's a player that is more than useful and a handy back up option for Alonso.  I'm in agreement with you Paul.  The money would be better spent elsewhere

Ham   
17 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Can play left back, left wing-back, centre back and in midfield.  I think that's a player that is more than useful and a handy back up option for Alonso.  I'm in agreement with you Paul.  The money would be better spent elsewhere

At the price being quoted I'd very much doubt he's agreeing to come here as a back up. 

Sea foot   
2 minutes ago, Ham said:

At the price being quoted I'd very much doubt he's agreeing to come here as a back up. 

Think he was talking about Ake Ham.

42 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

do we really need to spend that sort of money on a LWB? Seems a lot to spend in what isn't a problem area. 

Would be quite happy to stick with Alonso and use one of Baba, Kenedy or Ake as back up. 

Agreed. The upside of spending £60m on Sandro isn't as high as spending £60m elsewhere. 

Still - if Conte gives this his blessing I'm all for it. 

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Agreed. The upside of spending £60m on Sandro isn't as high as spending £60m elsewhere. 

Still - if Conte gives this his blessing I'm all for it. 

It is what Economists call "Opportunity Cost" 

If we spend GBP 50m on a LWB and the Opportunity Cost of that is not buying a CM or CF then we are bloody mad. 

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Conte Kante said:

Just out of interest is Sandro worth £55m when Mendy is apprantly goung for £40m? (Although I do suspect wages are a big factor)

One is more proven than the other. That aside, he's also Juve's primary (and only) LWB therefore it would naturally require a figure too good to turn down. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Baba is coming back from an ACL he did in January, Kenedy barely got a sniff as it was and probably lacks the positional and tactical sense to play the position at this point, while Ake also wants to play more than he did once he returned from loan - would 4th/5th choice CB and second choice WB be enough? Unlikely I'd say. Keep in mind I'm sure he'll want to push for WC selection now that he's worked his way into the NT.

Edit: Alonso is enough as first choice with another solid competitive option coming in. Not sure we need to quite go to the extent of Alex Sandro. Someone like Bertrand would be suitable.

Edited by zaffo

paulw66   
44 minutes ago, zaffo said:

e need to quite go to the extent of Alex Sandro. Someone like Bertrand would be suitable.

Both players would cost a fortune. 

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yeah Bertrand would cost £40m+ no doubt. 

Of all the young players we've sold, selling Bertrand was the hardest pill to swallow. It was clear as day he'd be a top player and he never disappointed when given a chance for us. I spent years defending him on here and asking us to give him a proper chance. But our short-term outlook made it very hard for managers to take a punt on him. 

Ake is almost exactly in the same situation. Hopefully we won't make an equally mad decision on him. 

xCELERYx   
2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Meant more in the sense of skill level than Bertrand himself.

All we realistically need is an interchangeable option with Alonso who is of a similar quality overall, maybe a little added quickness to provide us with an alternative when against quick wide players if desired. That's about it. While Azpi would provide that option on the right with Moses.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Sea foot said:

Think he was talking about Ake Ham.

I have COMPLETELY misread the post I was quoting.

Apologies.