Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

35,680 posts in this topic

Sandro comes in as one of the top left sided players in the world. Whenever you can bring in a properly world class player you do it. I like Alonso but we could do with proper competition for our wingbacks and he could also slot in at LCB so we have more options. 

1 person likes this

Surprised how keen people are on "usable" players. Baba Rahman and Michael Hector, Shane Long and Olivier Giroud. Honestly? I prefer bringing in world class talent that will strengthen us significantly. I don't care if Sandro is going to cost 45 or 55mp. I want us to get the players Conte identifies as the best. And Sandro is a massive upgrade on Alonso imo (and Aké for that matter). Sandro is going to own the left side, which is going to free up Hazard more and create more opportunities in the final third. He is a great crosser, a lot quicker, better technique and dribbling, and is drilled in the system in a club and league that knows it best. I was impressed by Alonso and would love to keep him around for many years - but he is not the LWB that is going to increase our chances winning another UCL trophy. Sandro is. And since we need two quality options for each wing back position, having them both in our squad would be great for us.

Bertrand is a good shout as well. Less of a superstar signing than Sandro, but definitely an upgrade on Alonso. Wouldn't surprise me if he is number three on Conte's list: Sandro, Mendy, Bertrand. But as been said, he is English and will probably cost up to 40mp. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

It is what Economists call "Opportunity Cost" 

If we spend GBP 50m on a LWB and the Opportunity Cost of that is not buying a CM or CF then we are bloody mad. 

Certainly there are 2 regulars in the team that could be upgraded on far more easily than Alonso, and Hazard and or Costa's places need to be prioritised if either is not staying long.
But I do think we can and probably will spend a lot more than £50m.  And that Alonso would still be a great squad player.

9 minutes ago, jones said:

Surprised how keen people are on "usable" players. Baba Rahman and Michael Hector, Shane Long and Olivier Giroud. Honestly? I prefer bringing in world class talent that will strengthen us significantly. I don't care if Sandro is going to cost 45 or 55mp. I want us to get the players Conte identifies as the best. And Sandro is a massive upgrade on Alonso imo (and Aké for that matter). Sandro is going to own the left side, which is going to free up Hazard more and create more opportunities in the final third. He is a great crosser, a lot quicker, better technique and dribbling, and is drilled in the system in a club and league that knows it best. I was impressed by Alonso and would love to keep him around for many years - but he is not the LWB that is going to increase our chances winning another UCL trophy. Sandro is. And since we need two quality options for each wing back position, having them both in our squad would be great for us.

Bertrand is a good shout as well. Less of a superstar signing than Sandro, but definitely an upgrade on Alonso. Wouldn't surprise me if he is number three on Conte's list: Sandro, Mendy, Bertrand. But as been said, he is English and will probably cost up to 40mp. 

Great post.

Posted (edited)

If we spend big on Sandro and not elsewhere then it will be utter madness. If we spend big elsewhere as well as on Sandro then we will have very little to complain about.

Alonso doesn't need replacing or upgrading, he was absolutely brilliant last year.  Perhaps we are looking at Sandro because he can play further forward also so gives us an option to play him there when Hazard is out.

Alonso Could also be used on the left of the back three which ultimately could be his best position?

Cahill/Alonso - Alonso/Sandro - Sandro/Hazard.

There are not many players we could sign that would give us that flexibility.

Edited by Martin1905

3 hours ago, Sea foot said:

Think he was talking about Ake Ham.

Thanks - I was talking about Ake. 

£50m odd is a huge amount to spend on a full-back or wing-back.  Especially when the £25m player we bought less than a year ago to play in that same position has done a more than admirable job.  

14 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Thanks - I was talking about Ake. 

£50m odd is a huge amount to spend on a full-back or wing-back.  Especially when the £25m player we bought less than a year ago to play in that same position has done a more than admirable job.  

Maybe Conte wants more than admirable.

24 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Maybe Conte wants more than admirable.

If we are looking to upgrade on Alonso, where are we not looking to upgrade? 

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

That's the rub isn't it ?  Personally I thought Alonso was superb last year and so was Moses , although his game did drop off somewhat through fatigue I'm guessing.

If you follow this assessment then surely nobody is safe from an upgrade.

How will Alonso feel to see a £60M replacement usurp him ?

It's all very good replacing Costa with Lukaku  one wants to leave the other wants to come and you can argue the pros and cons of the respective players but what's the sense of rocking the boat with players who did better than anticipated and that the coach couldn't speak more highly about.

Not when you have a Long John Silver sized lump in midfield who desperately needs upgrading. Maybe Conte has seen a box-to-box midfielder in Alonso ?!

I'm confused.

28 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Maybe it's less a case of "we need to upgrade in these positions" and more a case of "who is currently available who is also an upgrade on who we have?" and going after them.

It may seem crazy to try and sign Sandro when the need, in our minds anyway, is elsewhere; the fact is it seems Sandro is amenable to a move as is his club (for the right price)... you have to take your chances when they come around as they may not come around again.