Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

35,680 posts in this topic

Upgrade on Alonso, who in my opinion was a possible player of the year for us. I don't get how spending £50,000,000 on a player who's supposedly miles better is going to help us when in my opinion we don't need it. Bertrand would be great for depth and competition in my opinion but I don't think Alonso needs replacing.

33 minutes ago, chelsea_matt said:

Upgrade on Alonso, who in my opinion was a possible player of the year for us. I don't get how spending £50,000,000 on a player who's supposedly miles better is going to help us when in my opinion we don't need it. Bertrand would be great for depth and competition in my opinion but I don't think Alonso needs replacing.

Do you think Bertrand would return merely to be great for depth?

I kinda like getting players in that are better than the ones we have personally speaking.

I suppose , if you want to play with the big boys you have to buy like the big boys these days.

The days of nurturing a Lampard into a World beater are gone , time is money.

6 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Do you think Bertrand would return merely to be great for depth?

I kinda like getting players in that are better than the ones we have personally speaking.

I don't disagree with you there, but if that is the policy, there are positions that need addressing long before the left wing-back spot does. E.g. up front, in the middle of midfield and centre back 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

If we are looking to upgrade on Alonso, where are we not looking to upgrade? 

Some good points made by many although I'm only quoting your post. Of course Sandro is a top class LWB. I don't think anyone is arguing against that. 

But is it where we need to reinforce the most? No imo. 

But if we buy Sandro AND a top class CM AND a top class striker AND a top class AM then we don't have much to complain about. Problem being that will cost us £250m+ and we've never ever spent that sort of money before. Add the fact that when we have spent big lately (£120m last season) that has been coupled with significant sales (£80m incl Oscar and Salah but not including Cuadrado). If you include Cuadrado in this figures then we are at our average net spend over the last decade - £30m/season give or take...

Who knows, maybe Roman understands that we need to invest £150m+ net to get back to where we want to be. But at this stage I see that more as wishful thinking than what reasonably will happen. I'll be happy to be proven wrong. 

If there is a player who is available who is an upgrade and the powers to be are happy to pay to get him then why not? If we get Sandro and a decent CB it gives us 2 RWB and 2 LWB who can cover the CB positions as well. Can't see what there is to complain about in my very humble opinion.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, chelsea_matt said:

I don't get how spending £50,000,000 on a player who's supposedly miles better is going to help us

You've answered your own question.

44 minutes ago, bert19 said:

I don't disagree with you there, but if that is the policy, there are positions that need addressing long before the left wing-back spot does. E.g. up front, in the middle of midfield and centre back 

By that logic, if we sign Caballero first, he was the most important signing we could have made this summer.

Edited by DannyLB
double quote done wrong

We are after Oxlade Chamberlain according to Sky 

^ I'd be all over Ox. Ridiculously misused at Arsenal and he's got bags of potential while being able to cover several positions. 

Perfect squad player and English. A very astute signing if it happened. 

18 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

^ I'd be all over Ox. Ridiculously misused at Arsenal and he's got bags of potential while being able to cover several positions. 

Perfect squad player and English. A very astute signing if it happened. 

But he's still an "interesting shape" Dave.