Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,081 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Maybe it's less a case of "we need to upgrade in these positions" and more a case of "who is currently available who is also an upgrade on who we have?" and going after them.

It may seem crazy to try and sign Sandro when the need, in our minds anyway, is elsewhere; the fact is it seems Sandro is amenable to a move as is his club (for the right price)... you have to take your chances when they come around as they may not come around again.

I like your thinking Bob as I always think the timing is important too.

Yes Alonso was superb for us last season barring a few matches when he was done for pace.

Yet what I am hearing about Sandro suggests we are sending a message to the players that they need to maintain if not improve standards. We do not know if Hazard will be back to his best yet so in the meantime if we sign another world class player it may encourage other world class players to come to us in the future.

If this does happen I would like us to keep Alonso which probably means Ake would be the spare man for loan or sale.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I would LOVE Oxlade-Chamberlain. In my opinion if we could keep him fit he'd be brilliant. 

And in my opinion Shane Long would be a clever signing too. (In my opinion). 

16 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I don't care much for the 'how much we've earned/how much we can spend' arguments/discussions, and I'm happy enough to leave that in the hands of people at the club who are paid to know what they're doing! My belief though, is that we'll have a very handsome transfer budget to work with, and come July 1st (or shortly thereafter) we'll announce the signing of  Caballero (GK), Bakayoko (MF), Manolas (CB), Sandro (LWB), and Lukaku (ST) to kick things off.

More to follow, is my guess, as well as the possibility of youngsters such as Abraham, Baker, Rahman, Hector, Passaic, Pantic, and Brown looking to press during the pre-season, with a view to grabbing a squad spot. 

Matic, Costa, Traore, Piazon, MvG, Loftus-Cheek, and Remy (etc.) all heading in the opposite direction, and providing additional funds, hopefully. 

This makes a lot of sense.

I suspect Abraham, Baker, Hectior and Oassaic will go out on loan again.

I'm calling it on Abraham, to come back next season as number 2 striker, competiting to play alongside or rotate with Lukaku. I heard originally the plan was to do that this year but they wanted to give him more PL experience. 

Pansclic definitely has a chance IMO. 

Sky saying we are in for Oxlaide-Chamberlain. Good signing if true. English, young, potential, can play RWB or CM. 

I said a while ago I'd be all of Oxlade-Chamberlain. He makes an awful lot of sense, especially since he started playing wing back. Would be a really good, clever, versatile signing. 

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

But he's still an "interesting shape" Dave.

Not sure I follow? 

The question is: can Alonso lead attack on the left side, much like Moses can on the right?

Alonso is a support wing-back, totally dependent on Hazard to get the ball forward. People don't seem to understand how much the wing back can offer us. Those who really can are scarce, and the best will cost a lot. When Sandro can start attacks from the left simply by beating a man, threaten with his pace and ball control, Hazard don't need to drop deep or get close to the LWB to initiate play. It is why someone like Pedro was so successful this season; Moses is a lot more self-serving on the right than what Alonso is on the left. I would love to see Hazard get the ball from the LWB further up the pitch with more space. He will be way more influential with a more attacking WB like Sandro.

Usable options like Alonso are simply not exploiting the benefits of our system. I agree that he had a very good season, but imo he is of the quality our squad players should be. Sandro will massively improve us.

26 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I said a while ago I'd be all of Oxlade-Chamberlain. He makes an awful lot of sense, especially since he started playing wing back. Would be a really good, clever, versatile signing. 

Definitely a very good fit for the wing back position. But I just don't like the soft Arsenal boys. Lacks winning mentality and fighting spirit. 

City supposedly looking at Aubameyang, I would love us to have a go for Aguero if there is any chance of him leaving.

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I suppose , if you want to play with the big boys you have to buy like the big boys these days.

The days of nurturing a Lampard into a World beater are gone , time is money.

Lampard was the 2001 equivalent of a 50m player then, only it was Cuddly Ken's cash, not RA's being spent.  He was a massive investment.  A year earlier the traditional big big transfer - the star CF from Athletico Madrid was 15m.  

I agree, in his first season Frank did not impress me that much.  But that just means I was wrong and Ken and Ranieri got it right, not that he magically improved one summer break.

And since we are speaking of the "old days". Can everyone please remember the summer when our only signing was Enrique de Lucas, a free transfer signing from Espanyol? It is not that long time ago.