• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

kev61   
5 minutes ago, Curtis Brand said:

I'm confident on Lukaku just because we actually have players that can whip in a cross now. Lukaku is very good at getting himself into a smart position, and strong enough to hold it. Would like to see what he can do with consistent delivery from Alonso

The thing is Alonso may not be part of the team next year.Ever considered that?.

45 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The thing is Alonso may not be part of the team next year.Ever considered that?.

Yeah, I'd say Sandro could do a similar job! 

Can't see us walking into 2017/18 without one of the two as our preferred LB 

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I don't get it, either. Injury-prone, and ordinary just about any and every time I've seen him play. Yes, there's the odd moment here and there, but I just don't get some people's fascination with the guy.

If that's the standard we're setting ourselves now, we may as well sign Shane Long while we're at it!............:).

Says the man who's championed Bamford, Omeruo and Hector to be given a place in our squad...;)

jones   

I think comparing Ox to Shane Long is a bit unfair. He is a very good PL player. He has the Arsenal mentality though, which is a massive drawback. But coming from Southampton, I guess it will be possible to shake that off him.

What he is though, is a poor man's Willian. Immense acceleration and balance, great technique, crisp passing, good at attacking space, but lacks that bit of killer instinct that could have made him a world-beater. Why he has been playing wing back for Arsenal is pretty obvious when you look at his skills. But, for comparison: I have long argued that Willian should be great in the RWB position, but have come to the conclusion that he is too much of a superstar for Conte to switch him from AM/playmaker to a more defensive role. More like it's a mentality thing rather than a skill thing. Lack of concentration or focus for just a few seconds can be lethal. I remember Swansea's first goal when we played them on the opening day of the 2015/16 season - Willian had tracked back but suddenly forgot he had to get up the pitch again, and was playing Swansea 5-10 yards onside instead. He is a creative player that influences instinctively. Players like that can switch off and on suddenly. And will be is a defensive risk if given the responsibility for an entire side of the pitch.

Question is, if we are looking at Ox as a wing back, does he have the concentration and focus that Willian (perhaps) lack, to be able to play that position effectively under Conte? (And no, it is not an argument that he played there for Wenger - that guy doesn't have a clue.)

Edited by jones

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Says the man who's championed Bamford, Omeruo and Hector to be given a place in our squad...;)

What a man, Dave. I'm in awe.

14 hours ago, chelsea_matt said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I would LOVE Oxlade-Chamberlain. In my opinion if we could keep him fit he'd be brilliant. 

Didn't he choose the Arse instead of us when he was up for grabs at southampton.

Even though he is English cannot see what he would bring to the party apart from regular doctors notes :)

19 hours ago, bluecueball said:

Sandro comes in as one of the top left sided players in the world. Whenever you can bring in a properly world class player you do it. I like Alonso but we could do with proper competition for our wingbacks and he could also slot in at LCB so we have more options. 

19 hours ago, jones said:

Surprised how keen people are on "usable" players. Baba Rahman and Michael Hector, Shane Long and Olivier Giroud. Honestly? I prefer bringing in world class talent that will strengthen us significantly. I don't care if Sandro is going to cost 45 or 55mp. I want us to get the players Conte identifies as the best. And Sandro is a massive upgrade on Alonso imo (and Aké for that matter). Sandro is going to own the left side, which is going to free up Hazard more and create more opportunities in the final third. He is a great crosser, a lot quicker, better technique and dribbling, and is drilled in the system in a club and league that knows it best. I was impressed by Alonso and would love to keep him around for many years - but he is not the LWB that is going to increase our chances winning another UCL trophy. Sandro is. And since we need two quality options for each wing back position, having them both in our squad would be great for us.

Bertrand is a good shout as well. Less of a superstar signing than Sandro, but definitely an upgrade on Alonso. Wouldn't surprise me if he is number three on Conte's list: Sandro, Mendy, Bertrand. But as been said, he is English and will probably cost up to 40mp. 

Great posts. Couldn't agree more.

15 hours ago, bert19 said:

I don't disagree with you there, but if that is the policy, there are positions that need addressing long before the left wing-back spot does. E.g. up front, in the middle of midfield and centre back 

15 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Some good points made by many although I'm only quoting your post. Of course Sandro is a top class LWB. I don't think anyone is arguing against that. 

But is it where we need to reinforce the most? No imo. 

But if we buy Sandro AND a top class CM AND a top class striker AND a top class AM then we don't have much to complain about. Problem being that will cost us £250m+ and we've never ever spent that sort of money before. Add the fact that when we have spent big lately (£120m last season) that has been coupled with significant sales (£80m incl Oscar and Salah but not including Cuadrado). If you include Cuadrado in this figures then we are at our average net spend over the last decade - £30m/season give or take...

Who knows, maybe Roman understands that we need to invest £150m+ net to get back to where we want to be. But at this stage I see that more as wishful thinking than what reasonably will happen. I'll be happy to be proven wrong. 

I think we're almost certainly targeting a CM, ST, and most likely an AM as well, to go with Sandro. IMO, Bakayoko is a done deal, just waiting to be announced, so that sorts out the CM. Lukaku, as well, will be pursued and landed. It remains to be seen who the AM is.

Don't think we need another CB with Christensen arriving. Also, with the possible addition of Sandro, it could mean Alonso becomes an option at LCB, thereby increasing our numbers. I really hope we keep Ake as well, so think we're sorted there.

As for numbers, the in's will probably cost around £200m:

Sandro: £55M

Bakayoko: £35M

Lukaku: £75M

Caballero: Free

AM: £35M

In terms of what we can recoup, let's not include Oscar:

Cuadrado: £17m (confirmed)

Atsu: £6m (confirmed)

Solanke: £3-10m (rumoured)

Izzy Brown: £8m (rumoured)

Bertrand Traore: £17m (rumoured)

Costa: £30-40m (estimated)

Have I missed anyone?

That's anywhere between £80m-100m that should be recouped. And that doesn't include the potential sales of Kalas, Piazon, Pasalic, Miazga, Nathan, Omeruo, Remy or Van Ginkel among others. 

14 hours ago, paulw66 said:

We are after Oxlade Chamberlain according to Sky 

Reckon it's his agent stirring things up by including us as the bogeyman. No better way to force a contract offer. 

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

What a man, Dave. I'm in awe.

Sorry Michael, I couldn't resist...

It was a joke though. Hope you understand that - no ill-intentions from my side. Just some friendly banter. 

paulw66   
15 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Sorry Michael, I couldn't resist...

It was a joke though. Hope you understand that - no ill-intentions from my side. Just some friendly banter. 

Play nicely. :-)

Links to Mahrez and Barkley today... 

Barkley is a funny one. Mahrez I can understand - wouldn't be too surprising really. He's a tricky player with a lot to offer. But not entirely sold on Barkley.

What do people think of him?