Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,081 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Just saying one of them could play there. Not controversial at all.

They "could" but doesn't mean they will

If Conte doesn't want to use either as a LCB then it doesn't assist with any right side issues at all 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

How does buying a LWB free up our LCB ?

No chance. Luiz is far superior to Cahill. 

Are we talking about the same player? One of the main reasons he plays RCB over a player like Zouma is because he is good on the ball. 

Aside from Begovic we haven't sold anyone yet. 

Matic is immobile and not a great defensive or offensive midfielder. He is a decent all round player but not good enough at any one thing IMO. 

You'll notice I put "it appears that". 

Sky UK sources now reporting we are in talks for Bakayoko and Sandro. 

Think we're getting close to these two signings.

Just the CB, striker and possibly other forward/winger to go...

To me it appears Conte is trying to get us good cover in every defensive position.

We didn’t have any cover for LWB (Pedro, you’re having a laugh) and Alonso got roasted for pace against the big 4 that could be 24 points dropped. In the other matches he was excellent. I like the analogy with Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge someone made earlier.

Alonso can also play as a CB and Cahill could play as LCB with Azpi moving to RWB when the need arises. We are also looking for cover for Luiz who was carrying an injury last year and the rumour is were looking at Kostas Manola.

Bakayoko looks like a ball carrier and ball winner and with Kante looks like we will have enough firepower to compete against any midfield and overrun the others

I also think we either need an extra attacking player or to move one out and get one in. I just think we are too predictable with Willian and Pedro and of course we do not know when Hazard will be back to his best.

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

Nice article by the rare decent hack, Martin Samuel.

A Bit over simplified though:

Now, here's the twist. What if Chalobah does a Solanke? In fact, what if all of Chelsea's young players follow that example? What if they all turn the tables and reject the club, before the club gets a chance to reject them? And, worse, what if they do it in a way that threatens the precious revenue stream?

The real risk is not a few Solankes, it is if the club pay up on demand to all the Solankes and RLCs still at the club.  Then we end up with a dozen players all earning 20 to 50k a week, and none of them playing much at all.

Taking a youngster through the development pipeline is not a risk-free investment, and the critical point comes around 20 - do you take them from 1k or 3k a week to 20k to 50k - and up the risk by a factor of 10+?  Or do you let them go.

Which reminds me, Jon Swift was one who decided to go a year ago (for free I guess).  Now just turning 22 (last Friday) and playing for the England U21s in the current tournament.  Played Championship games for Reading  It is an interesting question - should we have kept him?  Should he have stayed?

I could have stayed at Chelsea but I had three loan spells while I was there and I wanted to be involved week in, week out,” said Swift whose team beat Fulham 2-1 on aggregate in the semi-final.

“I could have stayed at Chelsea but I didn’t want to go out on loan again,” he recalled. “I wanted to sign for a team and do well for myself. Toulon was good for me. I wasn’t signing for Chelsea so I wanted to go out there and do well. I had a good season at Brentford on loan and I was hoping I could find another club.”

A story to keep James and others happy.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3866441/chelsea-tottenham-new-signings-latest-kits-july-1/

Spurs and Chelsea won't announce new players until July 1st when new kits will be presented.
(I know others have made the same point, but for millions, a fact isn't a fact unless the papers print it).

Meanwhile just for me, the Guardian has:  Manchester United set to sign Nemanja Matic from Chelsea for around £40m

Surely some mishtake as they say about the Guardian.  That Bakayoko sounds a bargain if we can sell a 28 yo for £40m.
I'd take, £40m, I'd even take £40m AND Fellaini.

I know we hoped we'd strengthen over the close season but so far it looks like we're selling Costa and replacing him with Lukaku , Selling Matic and replacing him with Bakoyoko , selling Ake and replacing him with Sandro .

Where's the "fighting on four fronts , strengthening " then? 

Surely not another season where the board think they're doing a great job of backing the manager by weakening the depth of the squad , please ?

We need numbers as well as upgrades.

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Are we talking about the same player? One of the main reasons he plays RCB over a player like Zouma is because he is good on the ball. 

If you had said better on the ball then you may have had a point. He plays there because he's a good defender, and most likely doesn't play RWB because he is poor on the ball. 

On Matic, I'll be very sad to see him go. He somehow became the scapegoat for the disastrous 15/16 season, despite many others playing just as badly, and his performances in the season just gone were largely undervalued. If we're looking to upgrade in certain positions then I can see why we would buy another midfielder, but why on earth let him go? 

Letting a starting midfielder, from a team that has just won the league with the second highest points total in history, go to a rival is foolish. Replacing him with a relative unknown quantity is crazy. We need reinforcements not replacements!

Posted (edited)

someone get a taxi booked for Matic quick before anything changes, I'd even drive him there myself.

Edited by ripz