Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,082 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think it is going to be very tough for them to get time this season - at least time in the PL, and CL knockout rounds.

Only Moses's and Matic's places look underthreat from a younger player (assuming Costa stays or is replaced by a big gun).  And I feel sure that bigger names will come in for them.  And while Conte did have a good reason for sticking to the same 12/13 players all last season (to get his methods 100% accepted), he got himself a reputation for not picking marginal players all the same.

Though certainly those 3 look like the likeliest to break through since Bertrand and before that JT.  If I were them (or Michy or Zouma or RLC or any other younger player) I'd be angling for a loan or sale too.  Look at Bertrand now.

It looks like the senior members of our squad will be something like this:

Courtois -Eduardo-

Luiz-Cahill-Azpilicueta-Zouma

Alonso-Moses-Sandro

Kante-Bakayoko-Fabregas

Willian-Pedro-Hazard

Batshuayi-Lukaku

That's only 3 home grown players, including Lukaku (unless I've missed anyone).

They will need  to play for two reasons, one because they will have to be in the squad due to our massive lack of HG players and two we need to keep them happy by giving them some games so they don't leave. There's no other choice.

Edited by Martin1905

9 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

It looks like the senior members of our squad will be something like this:

Courtois -Eduardo-

Luiz-Cahill-Azpilicueta-Zouma

Alonso-Moses-Sandro

Kante-Bakayoko-Fabregas

Willian-Pedro-Hazard

Batshuayi-Lukaku

They will need  to play for two reasons, one because they will have to be in the squad due to our massive lack of HG players and two we need to keep them happy by giving them some games so they don't leave. There's no other choice.

That to be honest does not look strong at all by the numbers and options. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I know we hoped we'd strengthen over the close season but so far it looks like we're selling Costa and replacing him with Lukaku , Selling Matic and replacing him with Bakoyoko , selling Ake and replacing him with Sandro .

Where's the "fighting on four fronts , strengthening " then? 

Surely not another season where the board think they're doing a great job of backing the manager by weakening the depth of the squad , please ?

We need numbers as well as upgrades.

Exactly the point I was making 

Just now, Kezza said:

No it does not at all. I keep thinking I must have forgotten someone but I don't think I have.

1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

No it does not at all. I keep thinking I must have forgotten someone but I don't think I have.

That list needs to add on a CB, a Verratti and a Sanchez/James, then we can really say its a squad to compete for all 4 trophies. As it is, it doesnt look any different that last season. Not forgetting the inexperience of Bakayoko and not knowing what to expect of Lukaku. Pretty concerning we have two key positions relying on two new players.

3 minutes ago, chelsea_matt said:

I'm hoping we're all missing something and that something is a large influx of youth team players given a fighting chance of a crack at the Premier League. Not all at the same time , maybe the odd one here or there so that by the end of the year two or three of them could point to 15 or so games each .It'd be nice.

I'm certain Chalobah can replace Matic without a noticeable drop off in quality and would dearly love Baker and RLC to get a good go too.

50 minutes ago, Kezza said:

49 minutes ago, chelsea_matt said:

Has the window closed? 

I'm hoping Baker gets a chance in the squad, he's looking good for England at under 21 

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Fabregas is FA trained at Arsenal.

But yes we have given up JT and Begovic this summer who as 4th choice CB and GK2 were core members of the inner squad.

But I htink there are 3 separate questions here.

Should Chelsea want to keep these young guys sitting on the bench?
Should these guys want to stay and not move on?
And Does the rumoured £20m fee over ride both of these?

Sandro definitely not a replacment for Ake. No way Ake is a LWB - Conte certainly didn't see him as one. Sandro is to fill a gaping hole we had all season. If Alonso got a major injury, we had zero other players in that position.

Ake looks like a LCB in a back three - I hear they are inserting a buy back clause close to the amount we are selling for, I read in the same report they still rate him here at Chelsea and there's a possibility they may buy back in a couple of years once he's got more experience, for almost the same price. 

In terms of youngsters - who is seriously ready to play regular first team football? Christensen is, and I think will get a chance to this season. Could well push out Cahill. IMO the new CB will replace Dave in the back three, and he'll go to RWB (Moses will become his back up) Cahill and Dave backup CB's and possibly Aina, or one of the players on loan (possibly Hector as he's home grown I think). 

But back to the youngsters - Tammy, IMO, if he does as well as we expect, will end up back with us, as second choice next summer, challenging for a first team place, rotating with Lukaku or playing with him. He's good enough. I think that's the plan TBH. 

RLC needs regular football - if he goes and plays regularly and does well, he comes back next season. If not, we sell him for a big profit. To me the real generation which will make the breakthrough are the Abraham's, Aina's, Musonda's and the ones just beginning to break through. Ake might still do via another club (Bertrand has done at another club and rumour was we were interested in bringing him back...before Sandro). 

I think Christensen and Abraham will make the breakthrough. Ake and RLC have a chance. I'd like to see Chalobah (both of them ultimately) given chances. 

But people who complain about no youngsters coming through also often complain of no signings. Me included, TBH. Fergie didn't buy anyone when he gave the class of 92 a chance. They were his signings. It was a risk - maybe it's the kind of risk we might have to take sometime soon. Maybe not buying anyone, but buying less and giving kids a chance.

We do need two CB's this summer with JT leaving and Zouma needing to go, to get football - that Christensen is likely to be one of them, says something positive at least.