Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

35,736 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Moses was excellent last season - but I do believe we need another player in that position to rotate - I think Dave would be a phenomenal RWB, he's good going forward and solid defensively. So for me, no problems there. 

In terms of sales - I've heard Chelsea put buy-back clauses in all their player sales now. They did it with Thorgan Hazard (though it expired in January), they are definitely going to do it with Ake according to most reports (and they will only sell if he asks to go, apparently). And I'm sure they've done it with Traore too. 

So now we've sold Cuadrado for £20 million (including the extra loan bonus from last season), Traore for £20 million, Solanke has gone, possibly for up to £10 million, Atsu for £6.75 million and Begovic for £10 million. So far we've potentially brought in about £66 million this summer. If Matic goes for £40 million that's £106 million, before we even sell Costa, which looks like being up to £50 million. Add Ake and you have about £170 million. 

That's a big chunk of change, especially when you add all the prize money and sponsorship money to our income. The £170 million alone should just about cover 3 signings - Sandro for £61 million, Bakayoko for £36 million, and £50-60 million for Van Dijk or Bonucci, with a little left over.

Our net spend will likely be around £100-110 million, but considering we've had a very low net spend each season for several years and the huge income from TV money and sponsorship we now have, we can easily afford it IMO.

I seriously doubt we'll get that for Solanke. £3m-£4m is more likely, £5m-£6m at a push, but not anywhere near £10m. I know the club are asking for more on the basis that the club rate(d) him highly, but I think the arbitration panel will probably say "well if you valued him that highly, why didn't you play him more often and/or offer him closer to the wages he wanted?"

€10 million for Traore is probably not one of our better deals of late.  Appreciate there's reported to be add ons but that is an absolute steal in this market.

So that's Begovic, JT, Traore, Ivanovic, Oscar, Solanke, Atsu, Cuadrado, Mikel and Bamford that have all been sold/released this calendar year off the top of my head.   (It would appear that Kalas, Matic, Ake and Costa are pretty safe bets to follow too)

Wow, Chelsea better get that chequebook ready! 

There's a 15% sell-on clause and possibly a buy back clause with Traore. So either way we make money from the deal. I think we could and should have kept him, but there you go.

I hope Chalobah stays - we need a HG player in the squad. Lukaku counts as home grown so if we get him, he replaces Begovic in that respect. They will likely promote a youngster from the academy or bring a HG player from loan to replace JT as a HG player (that's why I would have kept Ake). Not sure Christensen counts as club trained or HG now does he? If RLC goes on loan we'll need another U21 or HG to replace him in that respect too. 

Interesting summer ahead.

Lyon will probably sell him on for £60m in a three years.

Who will be next? Ake? Christensan next year.

shocking deal for Traore, can't believe the figures, yes there's add ons or sell ons but to sell him for a price not too different to Bamford is unreal. I think Traore should have stayed with us this season or go on loan to a prem club.

Just 1 good season with a prem club and we'd be getting 20-25m for him.

disappointed

Edited by ripz

I think us fans need to realise that we aren't and never will be a club who wants a youngster to break through, we won't be a club that produces a JT, Gerrard or Scholes; we would rather sell the player for peanuts and buy them back for mega money, than be part of them developing into the final product. I genuinely think that we only have a youth system because everyone else has one, if there was a choice we'd probably drop it tomorrow and just put the money towards paying over the odds for someone else's finished product.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, some clubs operate like that and some produce youngsters who they just can't hold onto. The problem for me is we play the game totally different, we can't be bothered to take the best young talent and turn them into the complete player, but we won't make mega money deals either, we just float around the middle. Even the players we are linked him aren't mega money deals, they aren't the best of the best, Sandro to be fair is a great player. Bakayoyo is a good player but not a world beater, the sort of player who we could easily produce from our youth system but we just can't be bothered to do it. Bakayoyo is the total opposite to Matic, Chalobah is closer to Bakayoyo than Matic yet we picked Matic all season instead of giving Chalobah that chance to stamp his own place in the squad. If we can't be bothered to produce players from our youth system than we might as well go big or go home: Bonucci, Manolas, Verrati, Nainngolan, Sandro, Felipe Anderson, Greizmann(tie the deal up), Mbappe, Morata, Belotti. Otherwise we should really start to use our league and cup winning youth.