• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

If we're going for Manolas at £26m, is there no value in going for a homegrown player like Michael Keane at about the same price?  Younger and Premier League experienced

Last season there were quite a few articles linking us with both Keane and Ben Gibson (Boro).

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Unfortunately, Sanchez would prefer City because of Pep, a manager he played under in his Barça days. James I personally would steer clear of, but I wouldn't mind seeing Martial join us.

But Pep was the one who got rid of him!

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Did he? I thought Sanchez wasn't happy at the bit-part role he had behind Messi, and with Luis Suarez arriving, Barça were happy to cash in. At City, he won't be a squad player, as he was in Spain, but a starter.

Flinkers   
4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Point of order - Sanchez left Barcelona in 2014, Pep in 2012.

Pep signed him from Udinese but it was Luis Enrique who sold him to make room / raise money for Suarez.

Have to say, I'm a bit worried about all these purported sales. 

I understand why Ake would want to leave, with the demand for regular football, but I'm quite gutted about it tbh. IMO, he's never looked out of place. In fact, whenever's he's played for us, he's often been the best player on the pitch. He's as ready as anyone whose come through the academy and if he can't make it, who will? Traore's a similar case. It's quite disheartening. 

I also don't agree with getting rid of Matic. We need a bigger squad this season and some one with his experience and know how is essential. There's no guarantee that Bakayoko will settle quickly. What if he struggles with the pace and intensity of the league? He's only 22 after all. It could take him a full season to get used to the league. I know we have Fabregas too, who should play a lot, but the more usable bodies the better. I'm not even going to include Chalobah. Won't surprise me if we sell him as well. 

It also worries me that we're not linked to any AM's. As of now, all we have are Pedro and Willian. Hazard will take a while to get match fit (he's already looking a bit pudgy in some social media pics). We're in desperate need of another addition.

I fear we're going to further trim the squad, even with the expected 5-6 signings, leaving us with a usable squad of 18 not including keepers. 

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

This. I think that is lazy journalism, Sanchez has said he would like to stay in London so personally I feel we would have just as good a chance as City IF arsenal would consider selling him to either of us. Plus city are overstocked in those positions whereas he would comfortably play RW or even up top for us if Costa is on the way out.

Edit - seems I am the lazy one if pep didn't sell him

Edited by Lump Of Celery

8 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

I understand why Ake would want to leave, with the demand for regular football, but I'm quite gutted about it tbh. IMO, he's never looked out of place. In fact, whenever's he's played for us, he's often been the best player on the pitch. He's as ready as anyone whose come through the academy and if he can't make it, who will? Traore's a similar case. It's quite disheartening. 

I also don't agree with getting rid of Matic. We need a bigger squad this season and some one with his experience and know how is essential. There's no guarantee that Bakayoko will settle quickly. What if he struggles with the pace and intensity of the league? He's only 22 after all. It could take him a full season to get used to the league. I know we have Fabregas too, who should play a lot, but the more usable bodies the better. I'm not even going to include Chalobah. Won't surprise me if we sell him as well. 

It also worries me that we're not linked to any AM's. As of now, all we have are Pedro and Willian. Hazard will take a while to get match fit (he's already looking a bit pudgy in some social media pics). We're in desperate need of another addition.

I fear we're going to further trim the squad, even with the expected 5-6 signings, leaving us with a usable squad of 18 not including keepers. 

Agree with every word. 

Jay Seal   
4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I get your point, but In these cases, the big difference is that Roma were prepared to sell Manolas to Zenit, whereas right from the start Southampton refused to sell Van Dijk either to Liverpool, or Chelsea. 

How did you seem to know about Manolas a week or two ago out of curiosity?

JaneB   

I really want to buy Alexis Sanchez because he's a world class player.  But more important, it would p*** Piers Morgan off big time and, in my opinion, any man who loves two Golden Retrievers #AtomHumber# as much as he does can't be a complete pain in the neck surely?

• Like 1

paulw66   
34 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

If you are going to be worried about every rumour or non rumour, then there is not much anyone can do for you.