Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,707 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Dingus said:

I do think people have this unrealistic ideology that you have to bring the youth into the first team. Whether that's just an old school mentality I don't know.

I've always believed that if you're that talented/good enough, you'll get into the team, regardless of age. Clearly that jump up from the reserves to the actual PL level required to compete for titles is a level too far for the majority of them and I think that's the pill that's hard to swallow for some.

That being the case why did we buy Matic back, Chasing Lukaku been linked with bringing bertrand back on more than one occasion to name a few. Flog KDB on the cheap for him to return to the PL18 month later a 50m player. Even Omouru at southampton is being rated and the expensive exit.

Going to be very intresting to see the value of solanke, Throre & Ake in the next couple years

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, Dingus said:

I've always believed that if you're that talented/good enough, you'll get into the team, regardless of age. Clearly that jump up from the reserves to the actual PL level required to compete for titles is a level too far for the majority of them and I think that's the pill that's hard to swallow for some.

Good luck to Ake who has completed his move to Bournemouth.

There are levels to the jump also - youth and reserve team football to Bournemouth or the equivalent is obviously a much more manageable and realistic move for your Ake's, Chalobah's and Christensen's but the jump from that level to Premiership champions is massive. It's a very special footballer that can do that and none of our lot are that special. Good, sometimes very good but not special. 

We'd have to have had an opening in the squad like United have had that has allowed Rashford a sniff and then that player would have to rip it up immediately but fortunately we haven't had the need.

£20m is a great deal for both clubs and the move is the right one for Ake at this stage of his career. Good luck to him and if we have to put in £30m or £40m in 3 years to buy him back then even better because his development has been sound whereas there is no way he'd kick on at Chelsea. 

Edited by Hugh Jars 99
2 people like this

Struggle to disagree with the sentiments expressed in the recent posts about Ake, just sad. Thought we had a stayer there.

1 minute ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

That being the case why did we buy Matic back, Chasing Lukaku been linked with bringing bertrand back on more than one occasion to name a few. Flog KDB on the cheap for him to return to the PL18 month later a 50m player. Even Omouru at southampton is being rated and the expensive exit.

Going to be very intresting to see the value of solanke, Throre & Ake in the next couple years

Matic was part of the deal to get Luiz from Benfica - Jose wanted him back so bought him back.

Lukaku - wanted the gametime (much like Ake and Traore) to play that couldn't be guaranteed here at the time.

Bertrand - see Lukaku.

KDB - clearly Jose didn't see him as a player that would fit into "his" type of team/squad and was sold accordingly.

1 minute ago, Dingus said:

Matic was part of the deal to get Luiz from Benfica - Jose wanted him back so bought him back.

Lukaku - wanted the gametime (much like Ake and Traore) to play that couldn't be guaranteed here at the time.

Bertrand - see Lukaku.

KDB - clearly Jose didn't see him as a player that would fit into "his" type of team/squad and was sold accordingly.

It's this sort of sensible posting that the "one size fits all" brigade don't and won't ever understand Dingus. 

18 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Really? He had Ake up close and personal for 6 months - long enough surely to make a judgement call? And that's what he's made, isn't it? 

He was so crap that the manaer picked him ahead of Terry for the FA cup semi?

Just now, RobertoftheGiz said:

He was so crap that the manaer picked him ahead of Terry for the FA cup semi?

I just don't know where you make this stuff up from? Did I say that, or anything like that? No. So do us both a favour, and talk to me (if you must) about things I've actually said. Cheers.

4 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

Yup. Bertrand got better with every game for us, and Ake has been the same. Honestly, I don't think we really care. It's just a money making exercise. I've come around to that. 

Yep. Abraham, Baker, Loftus-Cheek, Christensen and Chalobah are all likely to go down that route as well. Maybe it's not Jose's fault after all? 

4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Disgusted. He's clearly good enough to play for us. Madness.

4 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

4 hours ago, Dingus said:

Bertrand - see Lukaku.

KDB and Lukaku ASKED to leave AGAINST the managers wishes. Both manager and BOTH players has confirmed this in multiple interviews. 

Oh... And maybe it's time to kill that myth that Conte gives youth a 'chance' no? 

Like every manager we have had under Roman, the pressure to win is too great to even dear giving PL ready youngsters a run. It's a club thing - the sooner people get that the better. 

12 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I just don't know where you make this stuff up from? Did I say that, or anything like that? No. So do us both a favour, and talk to me (if you must) about things I've actually said. Cheers.

Sticks and Stones Mate