Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

Jim White just said on Talksport that Everton won't take one penny under £100 million for Lukaku. 

Wonder if we will pay that. Not sure. Would be a massive statement if we did. We should IMO - not because he is worth the money, but because we have the money, we need a top quality striker desperately before the season starts.

Massive statement yes, but what type of massive statement? One that says we've been taken for a ride I reckon.

13 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Massive statement yes, but what type of massive statement? One that says we've been taken for a ride I reckon.

£100,000,000. Insanity. 

Tell me about it Matt. I think he'd be expensive at half that price.

We should just switch targets if Everton will not lower the price. Anyone willing to pay nearly half of our budget for Lukaku is insane. Max we should be willing is 60-65. Dont forget agent fees, this is the same agent who pocketed £30M+ or so for the Pogba deal. There are other targets out there. Lukaku is not the best striker in the world. He wont even make top 5.  I just hope the board give up and focus on other targets for now. We should never do business with Everton again. 

I'm done with all the lame, unjustified criticisms of Lukaku. Because that's what they are. He got more goals than anyone in the PL bar Kane last year. And Kane was playing in a good Spurs side. Lukaku had less quality players around him.

He's 23 and got 84 Prem goals already, for a side that's no more than a top 6 side, with no real world class creativity behind him. He's scored more goals year on year, and improved every year. He's got more goals in a season than any other Everton player. And he's young enough that he will keep on improving, especially playing with better players, and working with a coach like Conte, who improves players

He has a great attitude - he wants to improve, openly stating he wants to push himself further and get better by playing for a CL side. He's shown that every year, where his goal tally has gone up and performances improved. 

He's precisely the profile of player we should be signing. He's got potential to be a world class striker. And Conte wants him, and the club even want him. If Conte wants him, that's enough for me anyway. 

The going rate for a striker of that age and calibre is now £100 million. If you're thinking Lewandowski, proven world class striker, it's going to be £120-130 million, if not more - and I know we wouldn't pay that for a player. And for a player who'd only be able to give us 3 years anyway. Lukaku could be with us for 8 years at least - and he's gonig to improve wherever he goes.

Drogba hadn't got anything like the goal tally Lukaku has got already at the same age. Neither had Henry, or Costa. Plus, he's Chelsea through and through.  It's a no brainer. 

Ideally, you'd not pay that much (realistically he's probably worth £70-80 million) - but given the lack of alternatives, the inflated market, and that we have the money to do it, it's a no brainer for me. There's no risk here. He's young and will improve, he's never had any injury problems, he's proven in the PL, and fits our style of play perfectly.

I'm pretty sure we'll get him. It'll likely be a world record. And yet, of course, fans are criticising. 

Belotti? Not proven in the Prem and 3 years older. Lewandowski? Way more expensive and 6 years older. Morata? Going to United. Kane? No chance. Augbangyang? Won't be coming here. Lacazette? Going to Arsenal? Mbappe? £130 million for an 18 year old is a way bigger risk than £100 million for a 23 year old proven PL striker. Costa is going so we need a replacement. Lukaku makes sense. I'm right behind this move.

29 minutes ago, kratos said:

Absolutely Kratos.

32 minutes ago, kratos said:

2 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Absolutely Kratos.

Not in today's market. GBP 50m would be a steal for someone with his goal record. 

Posted (edited)

I dont understand why people are hung up on transfer fees. It's not your money, it's as simple as that. But if you're concerned with the financial solidity of the club, rest assured, there are educated people at the top  with aim to keep the club financially healthy.

I also agree with James, Lukaku would be a coup. He is not the finished product so I understand the concerns but what better way to get to that level than at a top club with top coaching and top players?!

Also, fun bit of off topic trivia. In our current squad, Eden Hazard has the most appearances in our shirt.

Edited by DannyLB

Just now, DannyLB said:

I dont understand why people are hung up on transfer fees. It's not your money, it's as simple as that. But if you're concerned with the financial solidity of the club, rest assured, there are educated people at the top making with aim to keep the club financially healthy.

This.

11 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Belotti? Not proven in the Prem and 3 years older. Lewandowski? Way more expensive and 6 years older. Morata? Going to United. Kane? No chance. Augbangyang? Won't be coming here. Lacazette? Going to Arsenal? Mbappe? £130 million for an 18 year old is a way bigger risk than £100 million for a 23 year old proven PL striker. Costa is going so we need a replacement. Lukaku makes sense. I'm right behind this move.

Point of information James, Belotti is 23.  Younger than Lukaku.  

He also scored 30 odd goals in a mid table Serie A team last season (a league where reaching those sort of numbers in a season is rare to say the least.) 

I'd say that makes him an option very much worth investigating.  

Lukaku is far from the only option out there.  Especially at the prices being talked about.  

3 people like this