Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, kev61 said:

OK michael .

Wow did I say that! - I meant to say Bollocks!!! To that.ūüė©

7 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Costa on his game and up for it - keep him hands down.

Fact is he has pretty much wanted to go back to Athletico since he signed, openly courted them publicly, never learned the language, played half a season every season for us and tried to pin the blame on his desire to go on Conte.

Frankly I don't want such an uncommitted disruptive player near my club. No way he wants to stay, never has. Let him go. At least Lukaku actually wants to play for us.

Bet his head would be sorted out in a minute with a 50K pay rise, the China nest egg has gone and I doubt Atletico can match our wages.

Who says he’s disruptive the press? It’s a speculation to fill the back pages. The bottom line is we have a player who will score you 20 goals a season regardless of his state of mind and desires. When will, Costa have time to be disruptive next season its back to Pl & CL so he could be playing twice a week?

Hernandez for 13m as a 3rd striker, got PL,CL experience and knows where the net is?

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

What Michael is saying, as far as what I take from it, is that a story breaks via initial source, then a whole heap of other places then report that same story citing that initial source, this then becomes one story being shared by at number of other places. Doesn't mean the story is more credible or reliable, it's just that all these other places have taken the one story and rehashed it for their own purpose.

With respect I know what Michael is saying.

4 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Not worth the hassle or drama. This is the right time to flog him off and clean our hands of the constant circus that is Costa. He's run his course here.

Not worth the hassle? 20 goals and more in each of 3 league title winning seasons in his career... You sure about that?

Costa has his ups and downs like a lot of strikers - certainly no more than Lukaku,

Posted (edited)

Some people are so naive.  The China offer was never on. I said that on this forum months ago. The way it was hatched bore all the hallmarks of a sabotage job on Chelsea. 

Costa never wanted to go to China. The Chinese club knew that not even the poorest club would sell their main striker in the middle of a season where they are winning the league.  Costa's agent knew the deal was a non starter. Call me a conspirator theorist,  but the China rumour was aimed at derailing Chelsea's title bid. When it didn't work, Costa himself made sure he did as much to make us useless on the pitch. 

Which serious club (whether in China or any banana league ) would want to rush a £100m signing in the middle of a season from a club that was never going to sell ?

Considering Costa's performance since the China rumour we should really have called his bluff and that of his agent and would still have won the league.  But hindsight is precisely that.  

Edited by Blue Rod
Spelling mistake

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

Some people are so naive.  The China offer was never on. I said that on this forum months ago. The way it was hatched bore all the hallmarks of a sabotage job on Chelsea. 

Quote:

Tianjin Quanjian billionaire owner Shu Yuhui told Sina Sports: “I can only say that we are still working on the deal to sign Costa.

Maybe it got lost in translation and he was referring to buying a Costa Coffee franchise

Edited by RobertoftheGiz
3 people like this

1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

Costa never wanted to go to China. The Chinese club knew that not even the poorest club would sell their main striker in the middle of a season where they are winning the league.  Costa's agent knew the deal was a non starter. Call me a conspirator theorist,  but the China rumour was aimed at derailing Chelsea's title bid. When it didn't work, Costa himself made sure he did as much to make us useless on the pitch. 

Which serious club (whether in China or any banana league ) would want to rush a £100m signing in the middle of a season from a club that was never going to sell ?

Considering Costa's performance since the China rumour we should really have called his bluff and that of his agent and would still have won the league.  But hindsight is precisely that.  

I don't know Rodds...some people in my opinion think you just have to throw money at a given issue and it solves everything. In my opinion I think the China thing was real (in my opinion) and although I think Diego is too much of a diva to keep on (in my opinion) I don't blame him for considering what may have been (in my opinion) a massive, massive amount of cash (in my opinion). Just my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, chelsea_matt said:

I don't know Rodds...some people in my opinion think you just have to throw money at a given issue and it solves everything. In my opinion I think the China thing was real (in my opinion) and although I think Diego is too much of a diva to keep on (in my opinion) I don't blame him for considering what may have been (in my opinion) a massive, massive amount of cash (in my opinion). Just my opinion. 

Matt, in the nicest possible way, with absolutely no offence intended  - do we have to keep doing this? It's all a bit silly, isn't it? Really, we get it, so can we move on now? Cheers.

I seriously worry about some people's actual knowledge.

First, £100 million is, down to inflation and more money in football, about equivalent to £20-30 million 10 years ago. If we'd been buying Sheva now, it would have been up near £100 million, if not higher. If we'd been buying Torres now, it would likely be the same. That's plain inflation.

And I'm not sure how many times I have to say this - we have the money. Not only are we going to make about £150 million from player sales (plus the £60 million from Oscar), we also made £150 million from our title win, all told, and make £110 million a year through sponsorship now, and then there's our Nike sponsorship. 

That's about £750 million income. 

We can afford a player for £100 million. And £100 million today is not £100 million even 3 or 4 years ago. If the Ronaldo transfer to Madrid was being done now, it would be about £150-160 million, not the £80 million. That's called inflation, and it's the reality of modern football.

And for all the critics, please tell me a potentially world class striker, proven in the PL, who will come to Chelsea, of the same age, who we can get for £40-50 million. It simply doesn't happen now. There aren't any. Mbappe is only 18 with one great season and he's suddenly worth £130 million? In that world, Lukaku is worth £100 million.

In terms of paying it, we pay it over the course of his contract and we won't bankrupt ourselves doing it.

Here's the reality - if you want to compete for the title every year, and have a world class squad, then £200-300 million spend each summer is going to be the norm. That's the reality. It's called inflation, it's called the real world. And with all the income we have the fanbase we have, we can actually afford it without Roman spending a penny of his own money, and still be in profit. 

Hence, there's no danger of us getting into financial difficulty over a transfer of a player who a) has never been injured seriously b) Is only 23 so likely to improve significantly over the coming years, as he already has in recent years c) Is one of the highest scorers in the PL in recent years d) Fits into our style of play like a glove

Yes, it's a risk. But given the finances we have, and the market as it is, we have to risk big money on a striker - it's simply choosing which one, and I would rather have one proven in the PL, who has potential and desire to improve, and who wants to play for us. The only alternative is likely to be Belotti (who has had one good season, is older and doesn't know the PL). Lewandowski would be more expensive and is older (and won't happen). I don't see anyone else we could get, and I don't see the critics naming any legitimate, realistic alternatives.

Lukaku gets 24 goals a season for Everton now, without quality creativity behind him. He's getting more each season. I think he's well capable of getting 25-30 PL goals a season, no sweat - maybe more at his peak - and that's not including CL and cup goals. 

I literally see no reason not to invest in him.