• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

When did anyone say it happened?  

'But United don't seem to have a problem paying £180 million for Lukaku and Morata'

7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

When did anyone say it happened?   There is a lot of informed comment about James' posts.  And a lot of pure outright rejection without even reading them.  

Just is.  Sometimes James gets things right.  No point moaning about it.

And neither James nor anyone else said he was.

Sorry, that's nowhere near adequate is it? Show me how that's proven please. It's certainly not because of the change in the currency's value is it? So therefore I take it to refer to a claimed change with respect to player valuation within football. Where's that proven?

bert19   
20 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Lukaku at £100m is beyond a joke and does not reflect the true inflation rate in transfer fees. You have the PL premium, the striker premium, the Everton premium and some other intangible premium that I have no idea what it is that takes the fee to £100m. We could find a similar player in Europe for half without any noticeable drop in quality. Maybe even less than half.

Well, the way I see it, if we went and got Belotti for say £70m, is there really any way that people can say that's a worse deal than Lukaku at £100m?  

I really don't think there is. 

kratos   
10 minutes ago, DaviesCFC said:

How do you put someone on ignore? His 9 year old bed-wetting is beyond tiresome

Hey I stopped bed wetting at 5 lol.

I'd love to hear actual names who fit the profile of player - same type of striker - at a similar age, who've shown the same potential, have the same goalscoring record at the same age, who have PL experience or suit the PL, who'd come much cheaper than £70/80 million. I don't see one around, not one suitable for a team wanting to challenge for the CL and PL.

Aubangyang is a different type of player for a start off, and he's older, so he doesn't count (though I'd still take him in a heartbeat). Lacazette, again, doesn't fit our style of play. Lewandowski is 28/29 and would cost  £120-130 million. 

I'm tired of our club seemingly trying to cut corners, that's all. If you want to win big, be willing to invest big, and occasionally pay over the odds. Madrid did it and they've won 2 CL in successive years. 

When was the last player we signed over £35 million? I think it might be 2011. It's telling. And yes, we've won the title twice in that time, but we've not really had to replace anyone major in that time. Chances are if Costa hadn't had a buyout clause in 2014, he'd have cost us around £50-60 million comfortably. Would we have paid it? I'm not sure.

BTW, Lukaku outscored Costa in the PL the last two seasons. That's plain and simple fact. And he's improving. 

Belotti will likely become our focus if Lukaku goes to United. But he's well down the road with Milan, and if we won't pay for Lukaku, why would we pay for Belotti, who won't be too much less in the overall scheme of things? And if Lukaku is Conte's first choice, will he sign his new contract if his main targets are being allowed to go elsewhere?

It's a genuine concern. The club hasn't made a big statement in the transfer market for a while, and right now we need a top class striker who can come straight into the first team - and we need one before the Community Shield ideally, which is 3/4 weeks away. 

I still hope we get someone - hopefully Lukaku but if not, Belotti. But who knows.

12 minutes ago, DaviesCFC said:

How do you put someone on ignore? His 9 year old bed-wetting is beyond tiresome

Oh come on, "9 year old bed wetting". I'm trying to make a serious point about the club being willing to spend big if it needs to, and backing the manager. That's not childish 'bed wetting'.

I'm happy to disagree on the merits or otherwise of Lukaku as a player, but that's not the real issue I'm concerned about. 

1 minute ago, James Prescott said:

1)  if we won't pay for Lukaku, why would we pay for Belotti, who won't be too much less in the overall scheme of things? 

2) And if Lukaku is Conte's first choice, will he sign his new contract if his main targets are being allowed to go elsewhere?

3) The club hasn't made a big statement in the transfer market for a while,

and right now we need a top class striker who can come straight into the first team - and we need one before the Community Shield ideally, which is 3/4 weeks away. 

1) What is the "overall scheme of things" please?

2) Yes, "if".

3) Ah, a big statement again. Why should we feel the need t make one of these, whatever they're supposed to mean? Who is this big statement for and what does it achieve?

4) Ooh yes, we mustn't forget the Charity Shield must we. It's so important after all.

48 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Sorry, that's nowhere near adequate is it? Show me how that's proven please. It's certainly not because of the change in the currency's value is it? So therefore I take it to refer to a claimed change with respect to player valuation within football. Where's that proven?

Well the informed speculation says Morata to United is almost done. Sky are reporting it, and other reliable sources are. 

If Lukaku goes there too, that's £180 million on two quality strikers, both of whom I'd love at Chelsea. It's a phenomenal statement of ambition, and gives them insane quality up front.

The player valuation in football has gone up, with all the new money in the English game especially. I mean £30 million for Pickford? Two or three years ago that's £10-15 million at most. £100 million for Lukaku, would have been about £60 million only one or two years ago. Prices are definitely going up. Inflation within football, not the change in currency value, is what I'm talking about.

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

When was the last player we signed over £35 million? I think it might be 2011. It's telling. And yes, we've won the title twice in that time, but we've not really had to replace anyone major in that time.

Nobody major? Cech, JT, Cole, Lampard, Mikel, Mata, Ivanovic?

Since 2011 we have signed players like Hazard, Willian, Oscar, Fabregas, Matic, Kante, Azpilicueta, Alonso, Luiz, Pedro, Schurrle, Cuadrado......some hugely successful. Were they not expensive enough?