Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, McCreadie said:

I never buy that argument about "free in 12 months". Nor do I see what difference it makes, because you wont get him for much less than £60m in this window. But Costa and Sanchez, for the same money as Lukaku is clearly better value as they are both better players.

With Sanchez free in 12 months Arsenal have to sign him on another contract or sell him in this window.

Just now, paulw66 said:

JP said they were willing to pay that much. 

Almost - certainly a lot closer to what he said than that it happened.  Missing "it seems" though.

5 hours ago, Dingus said:

And the bolded bit is the key issue here and is for everyone else I imagine moaning about the fee quoted for Lukaku. People have to get used to these fees now - the game has escalated now where these fees are and will be the norm going forward.

You say we need to look elsewhere, but 1) If the manager wants him then we clearly aren't going to look elsewhere, and 2) where are these world class strikers that you want to buy for £60m or less? There aren't any. Not in todays market.

I accept that the market value is rising significantly, but lets wait until the end of this transfer window to see how much clubs end up paying. I doubt that we will see many transfers 60+ million this transfer window.

5 hours ago, Dingus said:

Is that what's grating on you with this whole Lukaku transfer Dave, the fact he decided against competing against Torres and Eto'o?

As I said, I felt the same as you initially, but when it's all said and done, he's a better striker now by being away from the club than a few years ago.

I think Lukaku didn't believe he was given a fair chance to compete.

4 hours ago, James Prescott said:

We should just resign ourselves to being a top 4 side or top 6 side if we aren't prepared to pay what it takes to get top players.

We have won the Premier League two of the last three seasons. The club obviously are doing some things right. Relax James, the transfer window still has 8+ weeks. And I would be very surprised if Lukaku goes before the last week.

3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Is it? Does it? Then mate, please explain with all this rampant incompetence, how have we managed to win 2 out of the past 3 Premier League titles, and build what I think is a pretty decent squad as it stands? That wasn't Arsenal winning those 2 titles, or Man Utd, or Man City, or Liverpool, or even Everton - that was Chelsea, who surely must be doing something right? Enough 'right' you'd have thought, to give them the benefit of the doubt until we ACTUALLY KNOW WHO WE HAVE SIGNED, AND HAVEN'T SIGNED!

Awesome post!

James, refer to this post each time before you post. :)

4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Is it? Does it? Then mate, please explain with all this rampant incompetence, how have we managed to win 2 out of the past 3 Premier League titles, and build what I think is a pretty decent squad as it stands? That wasn't Arsenal winning those 2 titles, or Man Utd, or Man City, or Liverpool, or even Everton - that was Chelsea, who surely must be doing something right? Enough 'right' you'd have thought, to give them the benefit of the doubt until we ACTUALLY KNOW WHO WE HAVE SIGNED, AND HAVEN'T SIGNED!

Fine and emphatically worded slice of common sense. As others have said - to be taken three times a day (with water) by those of us with transfer-related anxiety.

Oh my god! The repetition!!!!!!

Either start copying and pasting James or give us all credit for being aware of your stance on this subject already. 

You're giving ME anxiety. 

1 person likes this

Loving reading all this but can I just wish our greatest ever transfer (bar one) Gianfranco Zola OMRI OBE a Very Happy 51st Birthday (I mean, how can that be......?!!!!!)

Apart from your exquisite skills, you will always be No.1 in my Chelsea heart because of your decency, humility and courage.  You could have basked in your playing career, and no one would have blamed you for that, but you didn't and gave management a go.  It didn't work and I'm sure that grieves you a lot but time to look forward to the next challenge whatever that might be.  Love you Franco.

Right, now back to the present......   

2 people like this

Anyone heard/read anything about plans for Lewis Baker ? I doubt we will be playing 343 every week this season, I expect things to be a little more mixed on the formation front. Surely this could be his chance to make the final 25 .