Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,707 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I would agree with you, if this is what actually happens. Atm, it's just another press rumour, and he hasn't signed with anybody, at any fee, as far as I can see. He also has a season to run on his current Chelsea contract, iirc, so I guess that Conte/the club will decide if he goes anywhere. 

Juni has more or less confirmed he's off even before the rumours started to appear in the press. 

he's a gonner and it's worse than any other decision we've done in the past. £5m in this market!!! What on earth are we doing? We've sold off or are about to sell two very competent said players in Chalobah and Ake. Both HG and definitely good enough to play for us. 

Minst this what we and the club wanted? No, apparently not. 

22 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

£5m for Chalobah? £5m for Musonda? Imagine if Jose was overseeing these transfers? Luckily it's the notorious Conte who gives these young lads a chance🤔

I'm absolutely disgusted by the club (if this happens). Chalobah is good enough to be starting for us. We have no business even selling him for £25m let alone chump change!!! 

You're getting worked up over paper speculation. First it was Issy Brown leaving, now he's signed a new deal and going back out on loan apparently. Latest is that Musonda is signing a new deal and not being sold, possibly even remaining part of the squad. As for Chalobah, it's similar to Ake, he wants to play. He also only has 12 months left on his current contract so that's going to drive down any price - hence the low figure doing the rounds. After his excellent run for the England U21's, he's now come to attention. Don't think he'll be sold either as long as he can be shown there is a chance for him to pick up playing time. 

Wouldn't quite get so worked up over everything just yet.

I wonder what Raiola , seemingly money mad , thinks engineering a bidding war between Chelsea and United will get him ?

Oh yes ! A minimum £250K in his back pocket for every million pound he gets for Everton .

Shitbag seems rather prescient of S'ralex if you ask me , and I'm not even fussed whether Lukaku comes or not.

19 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Juni has more or less confirmed he's off even before the rumours started to appear in the press. 

he's a gonner and it's worse than any other decision we've done in the past. £5m in this market!!! What on earth are we doing? We've sold off or are about to sell two very competent said players in Chalobah and Ake. Both HG and definitely good enough to play for us. 

Minst this what we and the club wanted? No, apparently not. 

Perspective is everything;

Ake as a CB isn't better than Cahill, Luiz, Azpi, Zouma or Christensen. At best, he's 5th choice. At LWB he's at best second choice behind Alonso, third choice if Alex Sandro is signed. CM he's down the list also. Given his quality, he's better than the positions he'd occupy in our current squad, but no better than those in front of him in the pecking order. Therefore, he's better off being sold, playing regularly and if he's as good as people want to believe he'll show that. Maybe then, we'll exercise our option to buy him back. He wants to play and he's better off doing that elsewhere if he can't do it here. While the club make a solid fee in return  for the time being.

Chalobah has the ability and I'm a huge fan, but he's not first choice either at this point. The biggest issue with him though is that he's got 12 months left on his contract and thus recouping a fee like with Ake is nearly impossible. IF he does wish to leave then we're without much leverage, we either take what offer we can get that's the best provided to us, or he walks on a free.

29 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Perspective is everything;

Ake as a CB isn't better than Cahill, Luiz, Azpi, Zouma or Christensen. At best, he's 5th choice. At LWB he's at best second choice behind Alonso, third choice if Alex Sandro is signed. CM he's down the list also. Given his quality, he's better than the positions he'd occupy in our current squad, but no better than those in front of him in the pecking order. Therefore, he's better off being sold, playing regularly and if he's as good as people want to believe he'll show that. Maybe then, we'll exercise our option to buy him back. He wants to play and he's better off doing that elsewhere if he can't do it here. While the club make a solid fee in return  for the time being.

Chalobah has the ability and I'm a huge fan, but he's not first choice either at this point. The biggest issue with him though is that he's got 12 months left on his contract and thus recouping a fee like with Ake is nearly impossible. IF he does wish to leave then we're without much leverage, we either take what offer we can get that's the best provided to us, or he walks on a free.

That's fine, and I don't disagree. It's just a shame we can't seem to agree deals to bring players in as easily.

Unfortunately we as fans need to get used to us selling off our best young players, it's quite clearly a strategy the club use to make money and any manager we have is not going to be in the slightest bit bothered as they can get sacked six months after winning the champions league or for finishing second a year after winning the double. 

There is no incentive for the manager to play these players and the club are obviously quite  happy to use them as a way of making money so it's not going to change any time soon.

My biggest fear is someone is either forgetting the rules in regards to home grown players or the club have decided they are no longer prepared to fund a large squad so will be going forward without enough players to compete in multiple competitions. 

Conte will not last the season.  Will be surprised if he's here at Christmas. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

£5m for Chalobah? £5m for Musonda? Imagine if Jose was overseeing these transfers? Luckily it's the notorious Conte who gives these young lads a chance🤔

I'm absolutely disgusted by the club (if this happens). Chalobah is good enough to be starting for us. We have no business even selling him for £25m let alone chump change!!! 

Is the comparison here - Dave - that de Bruyne and Lukaku originally didn't have the stomach to stay and fight for their squad places while being behind players that were almost too old and almost certainly too faulty and so they were at fault for engineering moves to guarantee playing time, while Ake and Chalobah doing the same thing under a different managerial watch is a club problem?

Will you become as vitriolic about "our Nates" should those players go onto be as successful at Bournemouth and Watford as the Belgian kids have been at Wolfsburg/City and Everton respectively?

Because I am imagining if it were "Jose overseeing these transfers" and there is no doubt that some in here would be blaming the players but because it is Conte currently at the helm and not TSO then it is the club that are to blame.

Edited by Hugh Jars 99

14 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Conte will not last the season.  Will be surprised if he's here at Christmas. 

That's the spirit! Glad to see that you're not joining the 'doom 'n gloom' merchants on here......:).

20 hours ago, Dingus said:

What a crap attitude.

Why? Box of tricks obviously doesn't rate him so if he's happy the deal is off, especailly at the prices mentioned, why is that a crap attitude? It's his opinion.

19 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Last year we didn't need to spend big on a striker. We had Costa. Plus, we had no CL football.

We need a top class striker and top class strikers today cost £70-80 million plus.

United could end up with a strike force of Lukaku and Morata with Rashford on the bench. City could have Sanchez and Aguero and Jesus. Arsenal will have Lacazette.

Meanwhile we'll end up with Dembele and Bats. For a side which claims to want to win the CL.

Its both amateur and pathetic. And it happens every year. Go after big money signings and miss out because we won't pay what it takes to get them.

Sometimes I wish we had Kenyon back. He got the job done with big signings. 

19 hours ago, James Prescott said:

It's not meant as a childish rant about Lukaku.

My anger is more about the bigger point - are we prepared to spend big to get players we want and need to challenge for the big trophies?

Has Torres shambles made us petrified to risk any big money at all?

If we won't spend on Lukaku there is no reason to say we will for anyone else. And that's what is a disgrace, for a club who claim to want to win PL titles and CL titles regularly.

A lot of overreaction here James. It's hardly pathetic or disgraceful to have reservations paying a world record fee. Keep in mind. as well, that Man U are the richest club on the planet. They operate on a different budget. Regardless, nothing has been signed yet.

18 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Woe, Woe, and thrice Woe.

Matic and Kante doing an interview on the Official site.  Well I suppose the good news is that Kante will probably stay.

Yes, that is good news. We need a match day squad after all. 

17 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Yeah I partly agree, but I think what frustrates me is when our striker goes chasing a ball down the left wing and not even doubling up but tripling up. I think as long as Lukaku(or whoever else may come in) plays his part in not letting the opposition's main ball playing CB see the ball much, or not let easily go past him, then that's enough; we shouldn't need our striker chasing someone from the opposition's half. I actually think Conte might have the same idea, which is why he has gone for Bakayoyo to offer more pressing from midfield positions; but that's me totally guessing.

That's the problem; Lukaku doesn't pressure the ball playing CB, in fact he barely presses at all. Sure, he has plenty of other favorable attributes, but I do think the lack of pressing will be an issue. I suppose that's an issue to be discussed if/when the time comes.

17 hours ago, Dingus said:

Come on now, we've got previous in regards to bodging up transfer windows, you can't blame people for being apprehensive.

17 hours ago, paulw66 said:

so we should panic at every internet rumour? 

It's July 5th ! 

Agree with Dingus here. We shouldn't panic but the apprehension is perfectly understandable.

It's only July 5th (6th) but pre-season is a couple of days away and as it stands we have a squad of 16 (which includes Chalobah, Costa and the 3 keepers). It's bloody frightening. 

17 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

How many 19 year olds have City paid £27m for? 

Well, in the 19-22 age group, they've payed a lot of money for Jesus, Sane, Sterling, and Stones. Mangala was 23. Bit of a mixed record there. 

16 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Yes or maybe because there's about zero chance United will buy Morata and Lukaku for £180m. 

Good question. There's no doubt that there us considerable transfer fee inflation in football at the moment. But Costa cost us £30m two seasons ago... Lacazette will cost Arsenal about £45m. These are two top strikers. 

Lukaku at £100m is beyond a joke and does not reflect the true inflation rate in transfer fees. You have the PL premium, the striker premium, the Everton premium and some other intangible premium that I have no idea what it is that takes the fee to £100m. We could find a similar player in Europe for half without any noticeable drop in quality. Maybe even less than half.

Yes, would have to agree with this. The Lacazette cost shows that there still is some sort of value there. Lukaku is grossly overpriced. 

15 hours ago, Faramir said:

With Sanchez free in 12 months Arsenal have to sign him on another contract or sell him in this window.

Or keep him, as their public stance has been.

13 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

Anyone heard/read anything about plans for Lewis Baker ? I doubt we will be playing 343 every week this season, I expect things to be a little more mixed on the formation front. Surely this could be his chance to make the final 25 .

Contract extension and loan, as Tammy and Kasey have done, and Izzy is rumoured to as well. Tammy aside, I expect the others to be sold in the seasons to come. 

11 hours ago, ripz said:

I'd really like to see the fee paid for Costa by Atletico if this does get completed very soon. The figure itself will be so very interesting and revealing. On one end we have £90m rejected in Janaury from China to Atletico offering £22m as their first bid which I hope Chelsea replied with a clear GTFO, so let's see.  Minimum has to be 40m surely, I'm going to guess 40-45m region. Anything in the 30's will be disappointing, considering the Oscar sale and the China offer for Costa we turned down, it'd be like giving up that whole Oscar deal if we go from 90m down to 30 something.

To be fair, the Costa fee is so low because of the lack of suitors. He wants out, we want him out, and there's only one buyer. That reduces the fee drastically. We'd do well to get 30-35m.

Some of the posts on here are starting to get a little out of hand. Firstly there is Lukaku. In my opinion, if Utd are actually insane enough to pay £100m for him then they are welcome to him as I think he is not worth anywhere near that. Ake, sure is a dissapointment, but I think that was the player wanting to leave and to be fair we have replaced him (Rudiger) and put a buy back in his contract. As for Nate, we are not sure on what is going on but if he wants to leave in his last year of contract then £5m with buy back is probably the best we are going to get if you rate him. Additionally, after a few early signings other clubs are also finding it difficult to sign players so I do not see why so many people are getting so upset.

1 person likes this