Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

If this is true... I don't even know what to say. Embarrassing.

I would imagine that having been "in" football all their lives , from eight years old in some cases , the lure of actually playing some is quite compelling , especially with the "quality" of those leapfrogging them in the first team being  debatable.

Footballing careers are short , I think I'd probably want to play rather than boast I was on the coach when Chelsea won the double.

Posted (edited)

Breaking: BBC Sport saying United have agreed a £75 million fee for Lukaku.

Great work Chelsea. Lost our main target, who wanted to come to us, and it wasn't even for the world record fee. I'd thought we had offered about £70-80 million for him, but Everton wanted more.

The fee makes it worse, it really does, because it's much less than the world record and something we should have been willing to pay. I'd hope that we might make a late bid to match that fee but it's not likely. 

Great. Just great. 

It's hugely embarrassing, it really is. This should have been a shoe in for us, It's like an open goal, and we missed it through penny pinching and complacency. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Conte walks now. Lukaku was his number one target.

Edited by James Prescott

Odd. Could swear Jose didn't rate him. Was he imposed on him, do you think?

1 minute ago, xCELERYx said:

They (at least Ake, since he's the only one who has been sold yet) were sold per their own request. He wanted to play regularly, that wasn't ever going to happen here because he's no better than anyone else we have in the positions he plays. Just as the case was with Lukaku. Both could have opted to stay, fight for a position, seen what happened, and potentially play nominal minutes. Instead both opted to leave for more regular playing time. With Lukaku, it worked out well. With Ake, we'll wait and see if he's actually as good as many on here believe him to be. And if he is, we've learned from the Lukaku situation and have the opportunity to buy him back if desired. 

Can't actually believe some are getting their panties in a bunch over selling a player who is at best 5th choice CB, 2nd choice LWB and 5th choice CM. It's mind boggling.

Well, I don't think I'm doing that thank you, but I do feel that when some of our players have chosen to leave because they've felt that they have little or no chance of getting an opportunity, then they sometimes have a fair point. This is particularly the case with Ake and Chalobah I feel, because they are as good as others bought in to replace them.

Just now, Sleeping Dave said:

All fair observations.

My point is, in your case, the fair observations were lacking when we had a different manager. 

I think a lot of judgement went out the window when half the fans were blaming JM and the other half the senior players.

Generally young players at this club have to go off an prove themselves before they can take permanent roles.  That has been as true of the ones that had successful loans (Courtois) as of the ones that got sold (Matic or possibly Lukaku or as occasionally rumoured, Bertrand).  Those that have spent time as first team squad marginals have all got nowhere.   This has been equally true at Man U  and City - both of whom have tried some kids (lots at Man U, dozens), but for whom only Rashford has become a regular off the bench/occasional starter.  
Arsenal are the exception, but then we all laugh at Arsenal for a reason.

It isn't anything to do with the manager, or the old has been players (who in practice we invariably get rid of a year early, not too late and have done even since around 2012 - when ironically a stream of old hasbeens allowed us to get over suspensions and win a certain trophy).

It shouldn't be a stick to beat either with.

1 minute ago, James Prescott said:

Great work Chelsea. Lost our main target, who wanted to come to us, and it wasn't even for the world record fee. I'd thought we had offered about £70-80 million for him, but Everton wanted more.

The fee makes it worse, it really does, because it's much less than the world record and something we should have been willing to pay. I'd hope that we might make a late bid to match that fee but it's not likely. 

Great. Just great. 

But, and if this is true, the fee is very telling for you James isn't it? It makes a mockery of all of your words about Lukaku being worth 100 million and that it was just down to inflation?

The only thing is that according to the BBC, United apparently have dropped their interest in Morata - so I'd say we'll move for him now. Conte likes him and signed him for Juve, and tried for him last summer.

My guess is that Morata will end up here now.

1 minute ago, James Prescott said:

Great. Just great. 

Can't say I'm hugely upset apart from the fact of who is the alternative? Clearly a player more interested in the money when you take into consideration he's going to play for a manager who disposed of him previously. Maybe the "love for Chelsea" wasn't so truthful after all.

Just now, PeteRobbo said:

But, and if this is true, the fee is very telling for you James isn't it? It makes a mockery of all of your words about Lukaku being worth 100 million and that it was just down to inflation?

Well maybe inflation isn't as big as I thought. And that's a good thing.