• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Oh, scrap my last post - here's a quote from Sky's James Cooper:

"Manchester United have got their number one target. I’m told the Wayne Rooney deal isn’t linked with this offer, although negotiations are going on between the clubs. Lukaku will have a medical in the next couple of days, which means he should be able to join up with the squad in America for pre-season. United report for training on Saturday and fly out on Sunday.

"This means United have ended their interest in Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata." 

JezQ8   

Were we really in for him 100% in the first place ?

we may have not been 

4 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Oh, scrap my last post - here's a quote from Sky's James Cooper:

"Manchester United have got their number one target. I’m told the Wayne Rooney deal isn’t linked with this offer, although negotiations are going on between the clubs. Lukaku will have a medical in the next couple of days, which means he should be able to join up with the squad in America for pre-season. United report for training on Saturday and fly out on Sunday.

"This means United have ended their interest in Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata." 

Maybe they ended their interest in Morata because "shock horror" the CFC board have backed Conte and targeted who he wants rather than who "the footballing board" wants , United being United have just switched tack to their second choice and presented it as a coup so that Internet Ninja's don't keep referring to them as "Snubchester".

Dingus   
1 minute ago, JezQ8 said:

Were we really in for him 100% in the first place ?

we may have not been 

The line everyone who didn't want Lukaku here will peddle ladies and gentlemen.

17 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Breaking: BBC Sport saying United have agreed a £75 million fee for Lukaku.

Great work Chelsea. Lost our main target, who wanted to come to us, and it wasn't even for the world record fee. I'd thought we had offered about £70-80 million for him, but Everton wanted more.

The fee makes it worse, it really does, because it's much less than the world record and something we should have been willing to pay. I'd hope that we might make a late bid to match that fee but it's not likely. 

Great. Just great. 

It's hugely embarrassing, it really is. This should have been a shoe in for us, It's like an open goal, and we missed it through penny pinching and complacency. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Conte walks now. Lukaku was his number one target.

I've been trawling the internet to find quotes to support this regularly repeated assertion of yours (YOUR number one target, and what the press claim to be Conte's number one target doesn't mean he actually was the manager's number one target... Emenalo's perhaps, but I doubt it was Conte's)

As for the "cut down" price... has it occurred to you that Rooney going in the other direction and Man Utd possibly also (part) paying his wages for a little while has an influence on the £75m price? Factor in the "Chelsea Premium" Everton seem to use and it was always going to cost another club less than it would us.

Matt Law and most sources are saying Lukaku was Conte's first choice. Apparently we wouldn't pay even £75 million for him. It's ridiculous. Honestly. 

That we have missed out on him, to United of all clubs, will be infuriating. Honestly wouldn't surprised if he walked now. He's done it before when not backed, he could easily do it again. TBH though I suspect Roman won't be happy at losing a player to United either.

xCELERYx   
11 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well, I don't think I'm doing that thank you, but I do feel that when some of our players have chosen to leave because they've felt that they have little or no chance of getting an opportunity, then they sometimes have a fair point. This is particularly the case with Ake and Chalobah I feel, because they are as good as others bought in to replace them.

A fair point? You do realise that they aren't entitled to a regular position in the team, right? Those who are signed to replace Ake and (well, not yet, Chalobah) aren't the reason these players want to leave. It's because they aren't better than those we already have in those same positions. 

If Ake was better than Cahill, Luiz, Azpi, Zouma or Christensen then I can certainly understand the concern. But the reality is that he isn't, yet - and may never be. With the system we play the only senior player is he probably a better option over is Zouma. That at the very best makes him 5th choice still, 4th at a real push if you think he's better than Christensen. 

Chalobah I'd like to see more of. I'd offload Matic and he'd split between 3rd and 4th choice CM depending on what each individual game needs. That would likely mean he'd be in direct competition with Fabregas. If Chalobah has the fight I'd like to think he has, he'd stay because there's a genuine chance he can stake a claim over the next 12-18 months. There is a realistic chance that both Fabregas and Matic are gone in that period. So, for him there is more of an opening compared to what Ake had. 

Dingus   
Just now, James Prescott said:

Matt Law and most sources are saying Lukaku was Conte's first choice. Apparently we wouldn't pay even £75 million for him. It's ridiculous. Honestly. 

That we have missed out on him, to United of all clubs, will be infuriating. Honestly wouldn't surprised if he walked now. He's done it before when not backed, he could easily do it again. TBH though I suspect Roman won't be happy at losing a player to United either.

If he wasn't willing to shell out 75m on Lukaku then why would Roman care at all?