Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,707 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Dingus said:

We've got no bloody option but to get a new striker!

Even with all the success we've had, we're a joke of a club sometimes.

we would have been a joke had we matched 100m plus player (not taking into account agent fees) for a good player but certainly not great. 

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I disagree. I think Belotti is too much of a sniper in the box type player. Ok technique and pace, but rather short and not the technical player I think we need. 

Personally, and I stand by this, of the strikers being talked about (Lukaku, Morata, Sanchez and Belotti), I'd seriously prefer Morata all things considered. Sanchez is probably the best player right now, but I'd still prefer Morata. 

I think he's the best player with the best all-round game and the player that will make us the best team. He's got pace, fantastic technical ability, good size and good in the air. Personally I think he's a lot better than Belotti and the player that would suit us the best.  

Which is what we need. Half the issue with Costa is he spends time in positions where he's becomes completely ineffective. We're constantly crying out for out CF to get into the box. Belotti excels at this, he's essentially 6ft and is physically strong. He's also far more dangerous in the air than Costa. 

Morata is genuinely sub-par in every aspect. He's not quick, he's not a factor in the air, he isn't physically strong or imposing, he's incredibly inconsistent and not overly prolific in front of goal. I feel like those who advocate for him are those who've seen limited footage of him and haven't actually watched him on a regular basis. Yeah, when he finds form he can be a reasonably solid player, it just rarely happens enough. The games he does score in are usually the ones against the teams down the lower end of the table or without the importance. He had that one real purple patch in the CL with Juve the other year and that essentially generated all the hype around him. Without context, he looks better than he really is. Exactly why Juve didn't buy him to begin with. He wasn't good enough to be a regular. And this remains the case at Madrid. 

I'd be extremely disappointed if our main CF is a striker who has notched 10+ League goals once in his career and has no significant stand out qualities. More so if he's coming at the cost of 60m. He makes sense as a second option at a more reasonable price of 25-30m. 

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Dingus said:

We will regret not getting him back-mark my words.

Absolutely gutted.

Vent your anger at the owner if you dare - Maybe he said no to spending 75m

Anyway - the Lions are on

Later

It's cool man, you're all entitled to your opinions but to be honest, you're all more worried about the fees of a potential player over the actual player itself and that I feel clouds your judgement.

Because we're going to have to pay over £80m for a Belotti or Morata that's for sure. Are you all going to be ok with that? I'm not so sure.

Lukaku is only going to get better and Utd will reap all the benefits.

Hi everyone, first post here.

Chelsea's failure to complete any of their transfer targets does suggest that possibly something strange is happening behind the scenes. I'm not too bothered about the Lukaku saga, I can understand that £100 million plus, with around £30 million plus in agent fees and a big signing on fee is just a ridiculous amount of money to spend on Lukaku, although it is perplexing that Chelsea waited until Man Utd made this bid before we made our move.

My issue is situations like we find ourselves with Bakayoko and Ruddier, where there seems to be a reluctance to get the deals over the line. Prior to last week, the consensus seemed to be that when we started our Nike contract the signings would be announced, but since then the only news coming out is that the players are due to have their medicals imminently.

It's starting to look like something is holding Chelsea back from completing these signings, my fear would be a lack of funds, for whatever reason, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's a conflict over the control of Chelsea's transfers happening behind the scenes. Or maybe the issue is that Chelsea are playing hardball with agents fees? It would explain why they never moved on Lukaku earlier if from the get go they baulked at paying Raiola his £30 million plus.

I wonder what peoples thoughts are.

Just seen a video on Paul Pogba's official Instagram.

Lukaku goes up to Pogba, happy as Larry, biggest grin on his face, and says "See you in training". Pogba goes "Really?" And Lukaku confirms it.

If that video is anything to go by, there's no doubt he wanted United. Couldn't look happier if he tried. 

The media almost tricked me into really wanting Lukaku. I love the guy but I've never been convinced he's a good fit for us. Never mind big games. He goes missing in small ones too. Hot and cold is not something I personally enjoy watching.

Best thing we could do now is go all out for whoever plan B, C or D was AND get Chicharito. I couldn't stand the guy when he was at United but he's a seriously good bench choice for goals and we'll be needing those.

1 minute ago, Harvz said:

The media almost tricked me into really wanting Lukaku. I love the guy but I've never been convinced he's a good fit for us. Never mind big games. He goes missing in small ones too. Hot and cold is not something I personally enjoy watching.

Best thing we could do now is go all out for whoever plan B, C or D was AND get Chicharito. I couldn't stand the guy when he was at United but he's a seriously good bench choice for goals and we'll be needing those.

Well said Harvz, I was really hopeful and excited but never fully convinced. 

Belotti and Morata did excite me more, but that may be the unknown factor. I haven't seen enough of either of them to be convinced that they'd be a success. 

1 minute ago, Curtis Brand said:

Well said Harvz, I was really hopeful and excited but never fully convinced. 

Belotti and Morata did excite me more, but that may be the unknown factor. I haven't seen enough of either of them to be convinced that they'd be a success. 

I've been away from the site for a while but its nice to see sensible posts like this rather than the CFCnet-typical freak out. I've never seen Belotti play. Watched Morata a lot via Juve, Real and a bit of Spain. Nothing flashy really but a very solid player who scores goals. A safe choice I think.

Time will tell, but I think United have just tied a big ball and chain to their neck for the next eighteen months. And for ridiculous money too.

Where we go from here is of more importance, but a good starting would be a forward with a brain and technical ability. Some guile and nimbleness wouldn't go amiss either.

We needed (much) better than Lukaku, I suppose now we have to make it happen.