Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The romantic in me thought 'why not? he's always wanted to play for the club'. The rational breathes a sigh of relief. Nowhere near the Drog's standards. And Essien was a different type of player to Pogba. Lamps or Herrera? James, be careful. You're killing me. I follow your argument, the Moan U set up does have a kind of Mourinho smell to it, but I think we can do better than that. Really looking forward to seeing how the club reacts. A Conte team is very different to Mourinho team, and to be frank, I prefer it.

Edited by blue moon

16 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

I think most Chelsea fans deep down didn't want Lukaku. 

Truth is that keeping Costa has always been the best option. I hope ego and pride can be put to the side. Imagine ruining this great team because of a rushed text. 

He's been told he's no longer required and wants to move back to Madrid.

Time you moved on mate.

35 days to go!

6 minutes ago, Dingus said:

He's been told he's no longer required and wants to move back to Madrid.

Time you moved on mate.

Sky are saying Chelsea want £60 millon and won't budge on that. And that Athletico won't pay. 

I thought he was gone, 100%. But seems there is still a chance he could stay. 

Reports in the media today say his people are making reconciliatory noises towards Conte and Chelsea.

1 hour ago, JFKvsNixon said:

Hi everyone, first post here.

Chelsea's failure to complete any of their transfer targets does suggest that possibly something strange is happening behind the scenes. I'm not too bothered about the Lukaku saga, I can understand that £100 million plus, with around £30 million plus in agent fees and a big signing on fee is just a ridiculous amount of money to spend on Lukaku, although it is perplexing that Chelsea waited until Man Utd made this bid before we made our move.

My issue is situations like we find ourselves with Bakayoko and Ruddier, where there seems to be a reluctance to get the deals over the line. Prior to last week, the consensus seemed to be that when we started our Nike contract the signings would be announced, but since then the only news coming out is that the players are due to have their medicals imminently.

It's starting to look like something is holding Chelsea back from completing these signings, my fear would be a lack of funds, for whatever reason, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's a conflict over the control of Chelsea's transfers happening behind the scenes. Or maybe the issue is that Chelsea are playing hardball with agents fees? It would explain why they never moved on Lukaku earlier if from the get go they baulked at paying Raiola his £30 million plus.

I wonder what peoples thoughts are.

Well, I did say a while back, (about 1000 posts ago given the rate of posting on this thread), that maybe Roman had concerns over expenditure, particularly given the intended outlay on the new stadium.

1 hour ago, Harvz said:

I've been away from the site for a while but its nice to see sensible posts like this rather than the CFCnet-typical freak out. I've never seen Belotti play. Watched Morata a lot via Juve, Real and a bit of Spain. Nothing flashy really but a very solid player who scores goals. A safe choice I think.

Yes indeed. Welcome back Harvz.

1 hour ago, JFKvsNixon said:

I wonder what peoples thoughts are.

My thoughts are , in all probability ,we're waiting for the manager to return from his holidays before we start going for it in earnest.

I personally don't believe one word of the rubbish written about the Lukaku deals in a media obsessed with making rather than reporting news.

A story where there is a valiant winner and a pathetic loser in a race for a player where the only quotation available is from the selling club denying everything is worth much more to them in story generation than the one where United buy Lukaku with no shenanigans.

Now they can construct imaginary scenarios where Chelsea are at loggerheads with Conte , how Mourinho has his mojo back , Lukaku why I snubbed Chelsea , where do Chelsea go now , Everton say good riddance to Lukaku etc etc..

I personally do not believe that we matched the United bid and furthermore don't believe for one moment Conte would see £100m of value in Lukaku or that the club would want anything to do with Raiola who amongst agents seems to be obsessed with rocking the boat wherever his players go.

United get Lukaku and rid of Rooney nobody can compete with that value we'd have had to have raised the stakes to £500m for it not to be worth it to United.

Everton now have a 24 carat busted flush hogging the limelight and ruining all the good work Koeman has done.

The media can now get Rooney back into the England side.

Welcome to the forum.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

My thoughts are , in all probability ,we're waiting for the manager to return from his holidays before we start going for it in earnest.

I personally don't believe one word of the rubbish written about the Lukaku deals in a media obsessed with making rather than reporting news.

A story where there is a valiant winner and a pathetic loser in a race for a player where the only quotation available is from the selling club denying everything is worth much more to them in story generation than the one where United buy Lukaku with no shenanigans.

Now they can construct imaginary scenarios where Chelsea are at loggerheads with Conte , how Mourinho has his mojo back , Lukaku why I snubbed Chelsea , where do Chelsea go now , Everton say good riddance to Lukaku etc etc..

I personally do not believe that we matched the United bid and furthermore don't believe for one moment Conte would see £100m of value in Lukaku or that the club would want anything to do with Raiola who amongst agents seems to be obsessed with rocking the boat wherever his players go.

United get Lukaku and rid of Rooney nobody can compete with that value we'd have had to have raised the stakes to £500m for it not to be worth it to United.

Everton now have a 24 carat busted flush hogging the limelight and ruining all the good work Koeman has done.

The media can now get Rooney back into the England side.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome.

My issue isn't so much Lukaku, although the point as to why did we leave it so long before we made our bid still stands. It's with the payers whose clubs have accepted our transfer offers and why those transfers aren't proceeding.

Posted (edited)

Roman is paying for the stadium from his own money according to most sources. He has, as far as I have read in reports, formed a separate company to pay for the stadium, so as not to lumber the club with debt. No way the club can afford it on their own.

I do believe the club now have enough income to pay for big transfers without him. But I also believe they don't want to spend beyond our means.

We have brought in £60 millon this summer so far. Apparently we have a 25 per cent sell on clause for Lukaku so will get £20 millon from him going to United. (And makes our £75 millon bid worth £100 million effectively). 

And there will be more sales. Costa and Matic could still go, as could some fringe players. Included the £300 odd from prize money and sponsorship and we have the money to spend without Roman's input. 

So esentially, we spend only what we earn.  That's why they are focussing on sales first I suspect. 

I heard recently our net spend for the last 3 summers is £13 millon. Not sure how accurate that is though. 

Edited by James Prescott

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

I also don't get the criticism of Morata. Great movement, good in the air, good link up play, great finisher. Got 20 goals from the bench for Madrid last year, averaged a goal every 89 minutes. Conte is a fan. 

Can't see the problem. Remember, Belotti is great but far more of a risk given he has had one great season.

Either would be an excellent signing.

Though I would still love Aubangyang.

James, he's none of the things you've suggested. Majority of his goals came against below average sides where Madrid completely dominated due to their class difference. Sometimes you have to dig a bit deeper beyond face value to get a more accurate picture. Morata is one of those players. He's a solid option as a second striker, not the sort you want leading the line on his own. Highly inconsistent, unable to establish himself at Madrid (twice over) and Juventus, and had scored double figures in the league once his entire career. 

Belotti had a good season prior to this one just been. This recent one was his breakout. Either way, his game and attributes are more promising than anything Morata has going for him.