Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,707 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Agreed. That 04/05 team were the best team in Europe that year, not just in England. Still my favourite season ever, even more than winning the CL. Only bad decisions and bad luck stopped us winning the CL that year, and we played some truly phenomenal football. Our defence was just incredible too. Best season ever. 

So the double season from Carlo was ordinary. How many golds did we score?

You seem to forget the owners mate a Buffoon called Grant  took the team further in the CL than Jose. 

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't want to be unkind but Pogba really does have ideas above his station and thinks he's better than the evidence would suggest , it looks like Romelu is going down the same path , wanting the renown but without putting in the work first . Why strive to be the best when you can bleach your hair , invent your own dance and be paid like you were anyway?

Not the kind of player we need imho.

And there I was thinking you were talking about Keith Lemon again?

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't want to be unkind but Pogba really does have ideas above his station and thinks he's better than the evidence would suggest , it looks like Romelu is going down the same path , wanting the renown but without putting in the work first . Why strive to be the best when you can bleach your hair , invent your own dance and be paid like you were anyway?

Completely agree with this. Believing your own hype before you fulfil the hype is very VERY dangerous.

Both are obviously good players, but two of the most expensive 5 players of all time? That's just madness.

Give me Costa and Kante over them every time.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Zidane said:

Do we even rely on a 20-25 goals per season striker anymore to win matches?

I don't buy into this idea that we really 'need' a striker like Lukaku. Isn't part of the reason why Costa has been so brilliant for us the fact that even when he's **** in front of goal he does a great deal?

Would much rather we go for someone with a better all around game. I don't see why a striker at Chelsea, given the trajectory of how we have played since Drogba left, needs to cost 90+ million.

Forgive my optimism. 

Yes, this. 

Which is why I'm sort of hot on Morata. I have a feeling he'll make us a much better team

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Completely agree with this. Believing your own hype before you fulfil the hype is very VERY dangerous.

Both are obviously good players, but two of the most expensive 5 players of all time? That's just madness.

Give me Costa and Kante over them every time.

For the combined price of Lukaku and Pogba - £180 million say - you could get this:

Costa £32 million, Hazard £32 million, Pedro £22 million, Kante £30 million, Fabregas £30 million, Moses £9 million, Alonso £21 million, JT free, Christensen free. Add Dave for £7 million and Courtois for £6 million and you have a whole side for £189 million, a side well capable of winning the title.

And United spent that on two players. Indeed, they spent nearly that amount last summer and finished 6th. 

2 hours ago, ripz said:

and you have no idea what might have been achieved if we'd kept Mata, De Bruyne, Lukaku, Moses etc.

what a stupid comment, but we all know you wont have a single bad word said about your beloved Mourinho 

Also, the period I'm talking about is one league title and one league cup and you dam well know that, not to mention the complete capitulation that followed it. What a ridiculous reply but then we all know you.

It's not a stupid comment, it's as close to fact you are going to get. We never signed  JM and we may have been a City - millions of pounds spent and years doing it before winning the title. 

De Bruyne isn't exactly winning titles at City. Mata isn't exactly winning stuff at Man U. Lukaku has won sweet **** all all his career and Moses is clearly the weak link in the starting XI. 

The reason 3/4 left was because they asked to leave. In two cases they couldn't displace better players (Mata, De Bruyne) and the third case couldn't stomach a fight for number one (Lukaku). None of them are winners and I'm not missing any of them. Much rather Pedro than Mata or De Bruyne. Much rather Willian as well. Costa vs. Lukaku? No contest. 

1 hour ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

Agreed, and it's not even that close imo. 

Not close at all. Jose's 2004-2007 team made Arsenals invincibles look like amateurs. 

One thing I've noticed with Chelsea recently, is that we've focussed less on buying superstars, and more on buying players who fit in to our team, who fit the system - not individuals. 

United and City have been buying great individuals and won two league cups, an FA Cup and a Europa league between them in the last three seasons. We've done the opposite, and won two league titles, the league cup and reached the FA Cup final. 

Lukaku is, as people say, very hyped, very much an 'individual' player. It looks like the players we have been linked with - Bakayoko, Sandro, Rudger and now Morata, are more team players, and fit with Chelsea - and Conte - much more.  I do think Lukaku was our first choice, but not getting him isn't a disaster - indeed, it may turn out in the long run to be a blessing.

That said, I still would have loved Lukaku here - I think he'd have become a better player, and better man, at Chelsea under Conte, than he will at United under Jose. 

And the danger with Jose bringing in all those big egos into the dressing room at United, is that there's always a chance they can turn against you - and given Jose's history, there's every chance that could happen again. I guess we'll see in due course on that one.

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yes, but I do think you had something of a mixed message there. I agree with you in so far as I too would have much preferred him to stick with Mata, De Bruyne etc. As well as Lukaku I suppose and I think he was mistaken not too. But if you point that out then I don't think you can simultaneously suggest that had "he been backed" things would have gone well. He would still have got rid of all of those players would he not?

How is it a mistake? If a player doesn't perform, the manager has to pick a players that does. De Bruyne didn't get in the side not because Jose didn't rate him, but because he didn't perform. He started the season as a starting player. By October he was hardly a bench player. It was fully deserved. 

Lukaku? He asked to leave. He had played in all games up until that point. What on earth is a manager supposed to do? 

Mata didn't have the legs to play a pressing game we had set out to play. Unfortunate for him, but we were a better team without him. 

22 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Unkind?  Hardly!  Just telling it like it is as is your way.  I daresay Pogba can handle it!

Being unkind would be to continually slate a player who's going through a bad patch but still giving 100% because he's a professional.  A former Spanish striker of ours comes to mind.