Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

Whats shrewd about the deal ? He is bang average and I will say it again , come Xmas majority of PL fans, pundits etc will be querying why we signed Rudiger for this money and let Ake go. Ake  will have the better reputation come end of the season, Ake is also more versatile. Rudiger at RB will just be a horrible sight and if that experiment ever happens then it will be incredibly short lived.

This is just an odd signing and waste of money.Thats not saying he can't have a half decent time at Chelsea, but it's £30 million quid for no improvement on what we had/have.

Shrewd is the last thing I would call it.

You do know that Rudiger hasn't played a single competitive match for Chelsea, right? And yet you speak with such certitude about his future performance for Chelsea. Based on what?

No one knows whether Rudiger will be a hit or miss. But we all can all agree that the nature of player acquisition is that some will come good and some will be total right-offs. Only time will tell.

2 hours ago, Kezza said:

Those who write off Rudiger at this point probably also wrote off Luiz and Alonso last summer.

And Pedro at the start of last season based on his disappointing first seasons stats. 

The Antonio Rüdiger I remember from Stuttgart was a decent one on one defender with good pace. He was OK in the air and comfortable on the ball but prone to the odd calamitous mistake. His positioning was average and he was slow to recognize a developing threat.

I have no idea how he's developed in his 2 years in Rome but we've been after him since before he moved there, so someone at the club sees something in him.

Still, he's here now and I look forward to seeing how he gets on.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

received_10158862736233125.jpeg

LOL!

8 hours ago, James Prescott said:

I actually think Christensen will oust Cahill from the first team this year. He is better on the ball, a better footballer and an all round better player - and more natural for LCB. 

It may well be our CB line this year is Christensen, Luiz and Rudiger, with Cahill dropping to the bench and Dave as RWB but also a back up CB, and Hector or Chalobah Jr as 5th/6th choice CB. 

There is the chance we could still buy VVD, but if we don't our defence looks sound. Christensen coming in is like a £30-40 millon signing for me, given his quality and potential. 

Given that this season we're in 4  competitions, with plenty of mid-week games to look forward to, I'd suggest that we're not looking at just a static CB starting 3 with reserves who play occasionally (that's if we continue to play 3 at the back, of course!), but a group of central defenders who rotate regularly, and are comfortable swapping positions in that back 3. Quality in depth is what I think that Conte is looking for. Players he can use with confidence. Same with the fullbacks, should we make the signings we've been tipped to make.

As for the bolded bit, I think you'll find that Christensen is more natural for CB/RCB, and not LCB. He also plays RB when needed.  I'm not saying that he can't/couldn't play there, just that (like Cahill) it isn't his natural side.

1 hour ago, Galol said:

You do know that Rudiger hasn't played a single competitive match for Chelsea, right? And yet you speak with such certitude about his future performance for Chelsea. Based on what?

No one knows whether Rudiger will be a hit or miss. But we all can all agree that the nature of player acquisition is that some will come good and some will be total right-offs. Only time will tell.

I think the issue some have is that Rudiger hasn't even been great for Roma. 

The players who looked borderline signings or were promoted from loan positions last season still had something about them - they impressed at the clubs they came from.

There's one thing signing a player who looks good that has a question mark over their ability to play at the top level, but another thing entirely when Rudiger has looked average and has had question marks regarding him being selected as a starter for the club we are signing him from.

I can understand that people are worried, they have a genuine reason to be, the only counter argument that can be made is that so far Conte has made the right calls with his signings; however saying that, even I'm worried about the Rudiger signing.

12 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

As for the bolded bit, I think you'll find that Christensen is more natural for CB/RCB, and not LCB.  I'm not saying that he can't/couldn't play there, just that it isn't his natural side.

Yes - but is it the natural side for Cahill either - right footed and always played Right with JT Left as a 2CB partnership.
But I agree, CBs should be interchangeable, and the main difference in not between LCB & RCB, but between both and the central CB role.

I've just saw how we announced Rudiger's signing...my god...let's just stick to signing a contact and a handshake.