Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

Where abouts is Matic standing at the moment?

6 minutes ago, Gormangorman said:

Where abouts is Matic standing at the moment?

By the exit door I hope.  It does seem a bit too good to be true though.

Not posted in a while as every time I go a day or two without checking the forum this thread seems to have jumped forward 20 pages. Finally managed to catch up so thought I would post a lengthy one with a few thoughts about the last couple of weeks so bear with me.

First of all on Lukaku, I am actually very relieved we have avoided this one as whilst I do think he is a decent Premier League striker I do not think he has the capability to lead the line for a team with European and title winning objectives. He did impress me at times last season but it was almost always against bottom of the table fodder. He scored 4 vs Sunderland, 4 vs Bournemouth and also got a brace against Hull when they were already down to 10 men. Contrast this against his performances vs the big sides where he would often be invisible for 90 minutes.

Going back a few years the moment I thought his Chelsea career was in serious danger was when he came on as a sub vs Bayern in the Super Cup as a young striker with much to prove against tiring legs. He was dreadful in this game, everything that was played into him bounced back, he barely broke a sweat and then missed a penalty in the shootout.

Now despite his obvious improvements since then I saw the exact same performance and attitude in multiple games last season.  I was especially disappointed with his performances home and away against us and away at Liverpool sticks in my memory as well. He is likely to score 15+ goals over the course of a season but is he really the player you want leading the line in big European games?

Last season Ibra carried that United team for most of the year but when he got injured it became clear that his limitations were actually hindering the team as a whole. Their dominant performance against us at Old Trafford was only possible due to the high intensity pressing and movement they had with Rashford and Lingard. Forwards such as Ibra (current version), Giroud and Lukaku have very clear strengths and weaknesses and are all good players to have in your squad but can all be contained with the right system. I think you will struggle to win much with these players as teams will find ways to nullify their qualities and force them to play in areas in which they are uncomfortable. Azpi and Luiz completely suffocated him last season and he barely touched the ball in either game. 

Lukaku may be built like a Drogba type striker but I have always thought he is a much closer resemblance to Torres. He requires space to run into and is much more comfortable with the ball played ahead of him rather than with his back to goal. It will be the case that at times Jose’s style of play will suit him and also the way Conte played much of last season would utilise this as well. The problem is it limits us to this style of play meaning we will struggle to evolve. When we come up against a Burnley wall with 10 players behind the ball we will need to be cute and precise which is not really within his capabilities. Also if Conte ever does leave and we bring in another manager we may find ourselves with a big square peg.

There has also been much talk about whether or not he was our first choice. A couple of weeks ago I was reading that Conte was furious because he wanted Morata and Emenalo was pushing for Lukaku but as soon as we are not signing Lukaku, Conte is apparently on the verge of leaving because of his anger. It’s impossible to know for sure but I personally feel strongly that Lukaku is not a Conte player.

He famously will not shut up about how he needs his players to work, work, work and this is not Lukaku’s game at all. Lukaku tends to save his energy for around the box but compare this to Costa who even on a bad day will still give any centre back nightmares by harassing and pressing all game. Costa still scores the goals but what he brings to the team is so much more important, this is why I have been firmly in the Costa / Morata / Belotti camp from the beginning.

There seems to be a big split on Morata and I can understand why as the fees being talked about are very high. Despite this I think that bar Aubameyang he is the single best option. I love his all round game, he's an excellent dribbler, great hold up play, good passer and he’s developing into a very good finisher whilst being superior to Costa in the air already.

His numbers are not elite just yet and I will admit his second season at Juve wasn’t great but it’s well documented the issues he had that year. He totally lost form and admitted being affected by personal issues of which can happen to any young player playing abroad. There were also politics regarding the buy back clause and whether or not Real would pay it. I would recommend reading this interview from a couple months back, some very interesting comments on Conte as well.  https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/12/alvaro-morata-real-madrid-bayern-munich

This is a player that scored both home and away against Dortmund in CL knockout round, home and away vs Real in CL semi and against Barca in the final as well. Even in his disappointing 15/16 he scored the winner in the Copa final vs Milan, he is a player with clear quality and talent who has shown that he can perform on the biggest occasions. It is no embarrassment to fail to break into that Madrid side and I honestly feel he is on the verge of a huge season in the right environment. His scoring record last year was insane and if you include internationals he scored 27 with a goal every 66 minutes. Some might argue this was mostly against inferior sides but he has already shown he can perform on the big stage in the past and last year he wasn’t exactly given the opportunity due to clashes with Ronaldo.

The added bonus with Morata is even when he isn’t scoring he has an all round game that will bring more out of our other players especially Hazard and Cesc who will relish his ability to play in tight spaces. I tend to try and forget about the fee because it’s impossible for us to buy a proven striker sub £50mill anyway whilst long term I think he has the highest ceiling of all the potential signings due to this all round game.  
3 people like this

Might I suggest that James blocks Dave and Bob and that they do likewise?

Posted (edited)

Can we have a truce here?

In the black corner James, consider what you post and dont post so much. Sometimes less is more.

In the red corner, those in, shall we say, debate with James give him some space, he gets a bit carried away and not for the first time here he ends up against the world but he seems to mean well and he is one of us.

Back to transfer talk?

Edited by exiledblue
missed a bi

Don't want to quote it all but  Sam , that post was magic , thanks for taking the effort.

1 hour ago, samhoward17 said:

Not posted in a while as every time I go a day or two without checking the forum this thread seems to have jumped forward 20 pages. Finally managed to catch up so thought I would post a lengthy one with a few thoughts about the last couple of weeks so bear with me............etc..

Very interesting stuff Sam. I just hope that we end up with any one of Morata, Aubameyang  or Belotti.

1 hour ago, samhoward17 said:

Not posted in a while as every time I go a day or two without checking the forum this thread seems to have jumped forward 20 pages. Finally managed to catch up so thought I would post a lengthy one with a few thoughts about the last couple of weeks so bear with me.........etc..

Really good post Sam, Morata does sound a better fit for us and I hope he can become a big success here if he joins.

Top post Sam, well put. You should have popped back earlier.

^ Basically what these guys said Sam!

A quick summary of what seems to be doing the rounds this evening....

RLC heading to Palace on loan....

Ola Aina heading to Hull on loan....

Bakayako doesn't need surgery and should therefore complete a medical imminently (interesting that his Instagram has a pic of him boarding a private plane 3 hours ago with the caption "Let's Go" )

According to the Corriere Della Sera we are still in for Koulibaly 

Telegraph saying Conte wants Morata and Llorente 

Finally, we're trying to tie Charly Musonda down to a new deal (did anyone see the pic of him next to Boga on TOCWS? What a difference in size!!)