Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,707 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

There's actually less evidence that he didn't want him, than there is that he did. 

There's far more actual 'evidence' that he didn't want go come here, only media speculation that he did. The player himself said at the beginning of June he knew where he was going. There is now an interview with him saying it was United and he has known of their interest for the past 18 months. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10944308/romelu-lukaku-ready-to-go-through-a-brick-wall-for-jose-Mourinho

We were never in for him, the media got it wrong, he was always going to United, the media got it wrong.

1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

All the articles appeared after he said he knew where he was going, they assumed it was to Chelsea, they were wrong.

They were also wrong NOT to link him to United. All the talk was of him coming here, there was very little if any talk of him going to United and he said 4 or 5 weeks ago he knew he was going there. 

They have got this whole saga wrong, including quite possibly our bid. Why would we bid for him when he knew he was going go United 5 weeks ago? Just because the deal seemed to happen quite quickly doesn't mean that it wasn't agreed a while ago, which again by Lukaku's own admission it was.

Our 'bid' was reported first by Mat Law, who with his apparent connections at the club stood to look quite silly after claiming he was nailed on to come here. The 'bid', in my opinion, is just as likely to be him trying to save face as is to have been genuine. Why bid so late when the player agreed weeks ago to go there? It makes no seanse.

My own view is that we were interested, and United used our interest as a cover. In fact, most media outlets had reported a while back United were interested - but the assumption was he wanted Chelsea. That was an assumption which United may even have encouraged to cover the work they were doing behind the scenes. 

The sources who reported United had agreed a fee, are the same ones who said we matched their offer and that Conte wanted him - so I'm inclined to think we did match their offer. 

I think Chelsea played the long game with the deal with the assumption Lukaku wanted us and United weren't in the game. But we made a miscalculation and didn't realise the truth till it was too late. Lukaku may even have led us to beleive he was coming here to cover up the fact he wanted United - many reports say he'd been talking to Conte and telling him he wanted Chelsea and go on to say Conte feels more betrayed by Lukaku than the Chelsea board. Even the bid for Morata by United, could have been a smokescreen, a negotiating tactic. 

We had no idea he was going to United in my view. If we had, we may have moved for a different player, and if we weren't interested there's no way we would have matched United's offer. 

TBH it's all irrelevant now anyway. He's a United player, he clearly wanted United all along. So we just need to get on and find another striker signing.

1 minute ago, James Prescott said:

TBH it's all irrelevant now anyway. He's a United player, he clearly wanted United all along. So we just need to get on and find another striker signing.

This bit I agree with, no point going round in circles about the rest of it as we will never know for sure. 

Hopefully we will see some movement this week along with Bakayoko so they are ready to go on tour next week.

The Sandro talk has gone very quiet, which normally means a deal is close, so maybe him too?

5 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

There's far more actual 'evidence' that he didn't want go come here, only media speculation that he did. The player himself said at the beginning of June he knew where he was going. There is now an interview with him saying it was United and he has known of their interest for the past 18 months. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10944308/romelu-lukaku-ready-to-go-through-a-brick-wall-for-jose-Mourinho

We were never in for him, the media got it wrong, he was always going to United, the media got it wrong.

That's not evidence we didn't want him at all. That's only evidence United did want him. And as I said, that interest WAS reported a few months back, but there was an assumption he wanted to go to Chelsea, which was a wrong assumption to make.

You can keep saying 'the media got it wrong' all you like. They did about being his first choice. Whether they were wrong about us being interested and him being Conte's choice is just your opinion though, just like my opinion is they were right about that. Because they were sure as hell right about United's bid being accepted. 

6 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

My own view is that we were interested, and United used our interest as a cover. In fact, most media outlets had reported a while back United were interested - but the assumption was he wanted Chelsea. That was an assumption which United may even have encouraged to cover the work they were doing behind the scenes. 

The sources who reported United had agreed a fee, are the same ones who said we matched their offer and that Conte wanted him - so I'm inclined to think we did match their offer. 

I think Chelsea played the long game with the deal with the assumption Lukaku wanted us and United weren't in the game. But we made a miscalculation and didn't realise the truth till it was too late. Lukaku may even have led us to beleive he was coming here to cover up the fact he wanted United - many reports say he'd been talking to Conte and telling him he wanted Chelsea and go on to say Conte feels more betrayed by Lukaku than the Chelsea board. Even the bid for Morata by United, could have been a smokescreen, a negotiating tactic. 

We had no idea he was going to United in my view. If we had, we may have moved for a different player, and if we weren't interested there's no way we would have matched United's offer. 

The media were wrong, you were wrong to believe the media... you just don't want to admit it, that's all.

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

This bit I agree with, no point going round in circles about the rest of it as we will never know for sure. 

Hopefully we will see some movement this week along with Bakayoko so they are ready to go on tour next week.

The Sandro talk has gone very quiet, which normally means a deal is close, so maybe him too?

Yep, we could go around in circles. 

I still think we'll get Bakayoko, I reckon eventually we'll get Sandro. 

Up front, I think it's between Morata and Aubangyang (likely Morata). Then I think we'll sign a winger of some kind. There's still a chance of another CB too IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

With regard to Bakayoko, The Guardian are saying his medical will be held this week, which he is very likely to pass. However, it's unlikely he'll go on tour as he still has to recover from his key hole surgery and that he won't be ready to play our early fixtures, with the likelihood that the club will hold him back until after the international break.

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

AM won't sell him this season. With their ban on registering new players until 1st Jan, how exactly do they replace him?"

Possibly impossible, but perhaps it might just an apt time to tempt a strike at a Costa sweetened deal. Would make one hell of a January signing if thats what it has to be...there may be some bargaining room that gives us an edge à la Rooney/Lukaku. He's just parted with his agent apparently as well, so with him undoubtedly destined to leave AM in the not too distant future, perhaps we could pounce on this not too happy bunny while getting one over on Jose?

Edited by The Fab 4

Personally I believe that through their "extensive" "Sources " (agents) the entire media got it wrong , they'd probably heard that Morata was leaving Madrid , they'd heard Lukaku was leaving Everton.

They they thought   "Hang on , here's a photo of Michael Emanalo laughing it up with Lukaku - he MUST be going to Chelsea"

Hence weeks and weeks and weeks of articles about how "Morata is the best forward in the World and he's going to United".

All of a sudden they're left with egg on their faces and Morata is our second choice and really it's Lukaku who apparently loves Mourinho and would "run through a brick wall for him" despite the utter scandal of Chelsea , with their famous disdain of young players showing the impetuous child out the door.

They simply all backed the wrong horse , and , not for the first time either and are using the whole story to lay the boot in again (ad nauseum )

2 people like this

19 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

The media were wrong, you were wrong to believe the media... you just don't want to admit it, that's all.

Are you actually going to continually beat this drum just to prove we aren't to trust anything the media says....?

Seriously, just move on.