Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Regarding our other business, I am happy with the Rudiger signing who should be a very solid, flexible alternative with the pace to enable us to play a high line. He allows us further tactical fluidity and I can see us switching to a back four more often. I do agree that with the potential signings of both Danilo and Sandro we look a little heavy on numbers in defence. I fully expect Zouma to go out on loan as he looks ill suited to a back three and both Azpi and Alonso can cover his position. Rudiger seems to have the athletic capabilities of Zouma but is considerably more comfortable on the ball. I would expect the back three from last year to start the season with Cahill the most vulnerable to a challenge from the bench.

Last year we played the same eleven nearly every single week. Options are good as there will be injuries, players that don't work and we will have to rotate more often. Many have mentioned how they are surprised that we are upgrading at wing back but there is no way you can successfully ask your wing backs to bomb up and down in 3 games a week. Its imperative we have good options to challenge on more than one front.

If we can sign Bakayoko, Morata, Rudiger, Sandro, Danilo, Llorente plus one AM we would be very well placed for the season. Unfortunately my instinct tells me the Danilo move is likely to be instead of Sandro as opposed to together. Spending nearly £100million on two wing backs would be bold but surprising and it is my understanding that Danilo has covered often at LB. He seems to be excellent going forward but slightly suspect defensively though this doesn’t bother me as much if we continue with the back three. With Juve strongly linked with Danilo all summer I am not sure this is going to help in any Sandro negotiations but we will see.

What we are doing is bringing in multi-purpose, adaptable players which is exactly what we need to move up a level. Having players such as Cahill, Matic, Moses and Alonso in rotation rather than guaranteed starting will help to prevent disasters such as Old Trafford and Wembley when our game plan was out thought and we had little options to change it up. I am certainly hoping the added pace all over the pitch will give Conte the confidence to trust Cesc as a starter as we do still lack another creative passer in deep areas.

The transfer window has been a slow start but it is certainly no time to panic and I am certain we are about to see a very busy few weeks. Nothing our rivals have done has worried me at all as none of their key weaknesses have been addressed.

Liverpool: Signed Salah who will be a very good player to rotate with Mane, Firmino and Coutinho but have not resolved their key issues of an out and out goal scorer and a leaky defence/poor goalkeeper.

United: Have replaced a good but limited Striker with another in Lukaku. Still think they will be too predictable against lesser sides and lack a Fabregas style passer from deep.

City: Have signed an unknown keeper who will probably improve them, also signed a David Silva clone but have failed to address any of their defensive issues. Currently have no full backs registered at the club and bar the crocked Kompany have no reliable centre backs. The fact Yaya is still a regular should be a concern and they probably need to replace Gundogan after one season.

Spurs: No signings although certainly have the best team of the rest. If they fail to strengthen they may find themselves left behind especially with them having to play at Wembley all season. They were poor in all of their games at bigger pitches last year such as Wembley, The Etihad, Emirates, Anfield and Old Trafford. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Arsenal: Lacazette is a decent signing. I am not convinced he is any better than Giroud but he will be a good alternative for them. Not as good as any of the other strikers on the market and I can’t see him improving them especially if Sanchez leaves.

Lets all try to remember that we are on day 2 of pre-season and that last year Alonso and Luis were effectively signed on deadline day. Our manager and half the squad also turned up a number of weeks late and that didn't exactly turn out too badly did it ;).

Edited by samhoward17

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Absolutely. Squad size is very important imo. But we don't need 10 players to cover five defensive positions while only having 9 players covering the front five. 

8-9 players for that back five is more than enough I reckon. 

Sonif we do get Sandro and Danilo to add to the current lot, I feel someone will be the odd one out. 

CB: Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma

RWB: Danilo, Moses

LWB: Sandro, Alonso

Thats overkill. 

As I said, I don't necessarily disagree with you but personally (and I admit my tactical nous is not up to the standard of a number of posters here) I would class wing backs as a different thing to defenders. Just my opinion and I'm sure I shall be put right in due course. 6 backs and 4  WBs would seem tight to me for attacking 4 competitions IMO.

11 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

As I said, I don't necessarily disagree with you but personally (and I admit my tactical nous is not up to the standard of a number of posters here) I would class wing backs as a different thing to defenders. Just my opinion and I'm sure I shall be put right in due course. 6 backs and 4  WBs would seem tight to me for attacking 4 competitions IMO.

Sure it's simplistic to talk about a back five and front five. But sometimes the rather clumsy turns out to highlight something that is obvious. 

I'd say we probably need 13 trusted outfielders for the front five. So far we have;

Kante, Bakayoko, Fabregas, Chalobah, Matic, Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Bats with question marks over Chalobah... 

In light of that, having 10 players covering the three CBs and two wing backs sounds rather crazy. 

Posted (edited)

I would like to think that we will have 2 strikers in and 1 out. I'm not going to even think about starting a "Costa is better than all the others out there" argument as its been done to death and it's obvious that he is but he's gone so we gotta swallow that one. One more AM and CM would be just about OK for me (as long as no more get shifted out obvs).

Just read my previous post and it should have said "right for me" not tight. 😬

Edited by Sea foot

So Dave. Are you saying that we need 2.6 players for each attacking position but only 2 players for each back position is too much? 

10 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

So Dave. Are you saying that we need 2.6 players for each attacking position but only 2 players for each back position is too much? 

The games I see generally have 5 attacking starters + 3 attacking subs, with just 5 starting and finishing back 5 players.

So the numbers are actually 1.6 for attacking players and 2 for defenders.  

Clearly we need more forward players than Dave has in his list, and 10 is too many defenders.

27 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Well I'm not talking about fractions etc but I'd say we definitely need more attacking five player than back five players. What the actual ratio should be is perhaps not something I'd like to have a hard opinion on. 

But I'm adamant that 10/9 isn't the split we should be looking for. For me a 9/13 (or so) sounds more balanced. Maybe the magic number is 9/15 but it sure isn't 10/9. 

It's the sort of argument we should go over when we know what we've ended up with in September to be fair. I personally think that Conte will probably have a slightly more defensive squad that you want but I trust him to get the job done.

You definitely need more players per attacking position than you do at the back.

Firstly you rotate defenders less and secondly on average I would say 2 out of 3 subs made in a game are in the front 3 positions. 

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think Musonda was closer to being picked for the first team when he ws 15 than he is now.

Well he has been given squad no.17 and the club have gone to the bother of checking with the PL that he can have "Musonda Jnr" on the back. 

So if you take your statement literally, then it's nonsense.