Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

Can you imagine the scenario where the board check in here to gauge our opinion on various transfer options .

They'd come out saying "we're screwed , this lot only want Vidal, Verratti or some German kid we've never heard of !".

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

With the young players, we don't know how good they are. They might not be good enough for a club like Chelsea. I think they are certainly good enough to play in the PL - but for Chelsea? None of us really know. 

Which is exactly why they need to be given a chance, to shed light on that uncertainty.

After all, we equally don't know for sure if foreign imports will be good enough, or for that matter, suitable, for the PL either.

It's always something of a gamble either way.

Edited by PeteRobbo
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Zoowraa said:

He might be more mobile and dynamic than Yaya, but he don't have the same talent. I'm 50/50 on him personally, if he signs great if not then not too bothered. I remain unconvinced without being to dogmatic on him.

I disagree with that stance. Yaya was pretty average at the same age and nowhere near to make such an impact imo. 

Yaya is also a player that lives on his size and strength a lot whereas Bakayoko uses it together with pace and dynamism. I reckon Bakayoko is a more complete player than Yaya was at the same age. He also has more tools in his toolbox. 

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

1. I don't think it's particularly clever clearing the decks with the most promising bunch of kids we've had since, well since decades. Ake, Aina, Loftus-Cheek, Abraham, Solanke and potentially Baker and Chalobah too. All of them bar Ake has been here since 7-8 years old... I think it's criminal. Especially since we have no problem signing sub-par players for £15-30m. I can't get my head around it. 

2. If Bakayoko goes to United and the press has had this story right (not very likely I'll admit) then we've made a huge mistake imo. 

On point 1, surely it is only criminal if they are good enough. Moreover, Aina, RLC and Abraham are only loan, and all three of them probably need to be. Moreover, moreover, I don't see a role for Aina or RLC in the current formation. The same could be said of Baker. Solanke was slightly different as he and the club were obviously at loggerheads over a contract, and I think they decided that Abraham was the horse to back. 

Ake, I agree. Sad he has gone but I guess he wanted to play regularly. 

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

If Bakayoyo goes to Man U, I say we get Rada and Vidal in, and blow the whole league away. To be honest I'd prefer Nainngolan and Vidal, yes their ages aren't the best but they show no signs of slowing, and the likes of Lamps and Yaya were 33 before they looked to be dropping gears.

Lampard and Toure were bought earlier in their career though and were not new to the PL aged 29/30. Daft comparison, especially with Lampard. There are also no guarantees that just because these 2 did play at a high level into their early 30s that Vidal and Niangolan will too

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Ross Barkley anyone ?

English , left behind by Everton on their Tanzania jaunt, contract rebel .

Hmmmm

No. Big time Charlie, and poor far too often. 

4 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I disagree with that stance. Yaya was pretty average at the same age and nowhere near to make such an impact imo. 

Yaya is also a player that lives on his size and strength a lot whereas Bakayoko uses it together with pace and dynamism. I reckon Bakayoko is a more complete player than Yaya was at the same age. He also has more tools in his toolbox. 

I think you're way off here. Yaya played as a defensive midfielder for most of his early career, he came to prominence at Olympiaokos which got him the move to Barca. All playing as a holding midfielder.

Mancini completely changed his role at City and the result is a goal scoring record of around 1 in 4 in his time there. This includes a full variation of goals and some of them are brilliant in his time at City from powerhouse runs, to 30 yard screamers.

Bakayoko does not have the tools to rival anything like this. In terms of talent, they are a distance apart.

6 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

I think you're way off here. Yaya played as a defensive midfielder for most of his early career, he came to prominence at Olympiaokos which got him the move to Barca. All playing as a holding midfielder.

Mancini completely changed his role at City and the result is a goal scoring record of around 1 in 4 in his time there. This includes a full variation of goals and some of them are brilliant in his time at City from powerhouse runs, to 30 yard screamers.

Bakayoko does not have the tools to rival anything like this. In terms of talent, they are a distance apart.

Oh I'm well aware of where Toure started off earlier in his career. Which is why I'm stating my opinion with quite the conviction - he was a DM for a reason. He didn't have the tools to be an AM to a decent level. 

I don't think that he'd have been a great AM in any other league. His physical attributes suited the PL and his technical ability isn't all that. For me he's size and and power and almost size and power only. 

I think it's one of those "agree to disagree" situations:) Only time will tell where Bakayoko goes from here of course. But for me he's streets ahead of Yaya at the same age. When Yaya was 25 he had played for Beveren, Metalurg Donetsk, Olympiacos and a season at Monaco before being a squad player for three seasons at Barca (they signed him for £7m). 

Would you pick players with no experience of the PL for a team which aspires to win the PL and CL? And not sign anyone else this summer? And would you not complain if it went wrong? 

For a club which wants to compete for and win the CL and PL next season, with the money in football now, it's way too big a risk to take. If it goes wrong, it means we end up fighting for 4th place at best, and probably having to spend big in January for extortionate prices.

I think the best thing is to give - like we've done with Christensen and Chalobah - players a year or two first team experience playing regular football, develop and improve in the ways you only can by playing, and see how they do. And if they are good enough, give them a chance. 

The players on loan are given long-term contracts because if they do well, they come back and join up with us - and if they prove not to be good enough, we can sell them and make a profit. It makes perfect sense.

12 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Oh I'm well aware of where Toure started off earlier in his career. Which is why I'm stating my opinion with quite the conviction - he was a DM for a reason. He didn't have the tools to be an AM to a decent level. 

I don't think that he'd have been a great AM in any other league. His physical attributes suited the PL and his technical ability isn't all that. For me he's size and and power and almost size and power only. 

I think it's one of those "agree to disagree" situations:) Only time will tell where Bakayoko goes from here of course. But for me he's streets ahead of Yaya at the same age. When Yaya was 25 he had played for Beveren, Metalurg Donetsk, Olympiacos and a season at Monaco before being a squad player for three seasons at Barca (they signed him for £7m). 

Agree it's one of those situations. But we are talking about talent here. It's far easier to be a holding midfielder than it is a successful goal scoring attacking midfielder. Yaya was arguably wasted early on in his career, plugged into an obvious hole in an era when every club was looking for their own Patrick Viera.

The skill and ability of the goals and performances from Yaya throughout most of his time at City sets a very high bar. It's the skill/talent point I'm debating here, I cannot see Bakayoko having any sort of impact comparable to Yaya.

The clubs/fees Yaya played for early in his career are almost irrelevant, the period of his career when the shackles were let off is when he displayed his ability and talent. I really don't see how you can think Bakayoko can achieve anything like that. He might rival him in terms of holding midfielder, but as I said , that is a much easier role to play and make an impact on. It takes real skill and talent to do what Yaya has in his time at City. It has every type of goal in his collection over the last 4/5 years.

We'll see how things pan out I guess.

24 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Would you pick players with no experience of the PL for a team which aspires to win the PL and CL? And not sign anyone else this summer? And would you not complain if it went wrong? 

But many of the players we sign from overseas have no experience in the PL. If we sign Babayoko, for example, he doesn't and you can't be sure that he will adapt to the PL.

Also, some of the players we either let go or continually loan out have had experience of the PL and acquitted themselves well in it, most notably Ake of course.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

1. I don't think it's particularly clever clearing the decks with the most promising bunch of kids we've had since, well since decades. Ake, Aina, Loftus-Cheek, Abraham, Solanke and potentially Baker and Chalobah too. All of them bar Ake has been here since 7-8 years old... I think it's criminal. Especially since we have no problem signing sub-par players for £15-30m. I can't get my head around it. 

Well it is 15 years, but Carlton Cole & Huth were far more promising than any of these except Tammy.  There was more hype (if not real promise) for Josh McEachran (and similar hype for Bruma and the other guy, the one who was meant to be a lot better than Betrand).
We wouldn't be talking about any of the others based on their performances in first teams to date.

The big big error here is not releasing the 1 in 10 that makes it big too early.  It is giving the other 9 five year contracts at 20 or 21.

Edited by Droy was my hero