Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

I think he will prove himself to be a fantastic number 10, a position we don't really play anymore; so I think we could see him move on at the end of his loan. Hope not, because I think he has the ability to he a top player, but I think his style is very different to what we set up with. 

I think he'll prove himself to be an 8, as evidenced by the number given to him at Palace. 

18 hours ago, bluecueball said:

I don't think anyone's played RLC in his correct position: the Ballack role. For the games that you want to control rather than the high-energy ones you want Essien to monster. 

Lampard - Ballack / Essien

Makelele

In a 3-4-2-1, where do you play him? Same with Baker. He's not dynamic enough for the Hazard/Pedro roles, but equally not gritty enough for the deeper Kante/Matic roles. He's a Rolls Royce where we need either armoured off-roaders or sports cars. Now Chalobah for me is perfect in the 2 alongside Kante. 

Hazard - Pedro

Loftus-Cheek/Baker etc.

Chalobah - Kante

Yes, don't really see a place for him in the 3-4-3. Could be suited for an AM position in the 3-5-2 though. Regardless, he needs to prove himself on loan first.

18 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

But Aubameyang at 28 is worth £65m? 

Yeah I think he's worth the money, assuming we get 3-4 quality seasons out of him which translates into trophies. 

17 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not sure I understand, you don't rate Bakayoko? Sure we may never have been in for him to begin with, but that was one player I actually was happy for us to be linked with... 

Immense potential. A more mobile and dynamic Yaya Toure. Think he'd be a smash hit in England. 

15 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I disagree with that stance. Yaya was pretty average at the same age and nowhere near to make such an impact imo. 

Yaya is also a player that lives on his size and strength a lot whereas Bakayoko uses it together with pace and dynamism. I reckon Bakayoko is a more complete player than Yaya was at the same age. He also has more tools in his toolbox. 

14 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Oh I'm well aware of where Toure started off earlier in his career. Which is why I'm stating my opinion with quite the conviction - he was a DM for a reason. He didn't have the tools to be an AM to a decent level. 

I don't think that he'd have been a great AM in any other league. His physical attributes suited the PL and his technical ability isn't all that. For me he's size and and power and almost size and power only. 

I think it's one of those "agree to disagree" situations:) Only time will tell where Bakayoko goes from here of course. But for me he's streets ahead of Yaya at the same age. When Yaya was 25 he had played for Beveren, Metalurg Donetsk, Olympiacos and a season at Monaco before being a squad player for three seasons at Barca (they signed him for £7m). 

I made the Yaya comparison a little while ago but I do think you're underrating Yaya here, especially in terms of his technical ability, which is phenomenal and what separates the two IMO. Yaya, in his prime, was a monster. A mixture of that physique, acceleration, and technical ability is hard to find and Bakayoko would do well to reach that sort of level. I'm hoping Conte's tutelage allows him to reach his potential, which is an exciting thought. 

1 hour ago, Dingus said:

Bakayoko news:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mohamedbouhafsi/status/885267389679579137

This bloke broke the Kante deal last summer and is as reliable as it comes when it comes to French transfers.

Yup, I reckon it's all but done now and to be announced some time over the next 48 hours. Very good news.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

If you, after having watched that, want to champion his solid first touch we clearly differ massively on what we think a good first touch is. 

Transfer what he shows in that video to the PL and it should be quite easy to see that the physical attributes he has wouldn't be all that over here and that his first touch could present a problem when you up the tempo a gear or two. 

Let me say this, I'd feel confident that he could score 15 or so goals for us without making us much better as a team. For £90m I expect 30 goals and a title winning striker. 

He's nowhere near that imo. I certainly understand why the Torino president can't shut up about him potentially going and his release clause of €100m. 

Can understand your reservations regarding his touch and technical ability but his other attributes are very attractive IMO. He's a battler, a real competitor with a demonic work rate and will to win. He'll chase everything down and sweat blood for the cause. l love that in a player and it's one of the reasons why I was hesitant on Lukaku.

He's also quick, strong, with an eye for goal and great aerial ability. He actually reminds me a lot of Tevez, without quite the same technical ability. I think his passion and commitment would translate really well to the league, Conte and the Stamford Bridge faithful.

Yes, his price is ridiculous but I think if we could work that down to somewhere between £50-70m, he'd be worth it. 

Having said that I'd be happy with any of Aubameyang, Morata or Belloti, with the former probably being my preference. The funny thing is that nobody has a clue who we're going for!

It looks like it's almost certainly going to be one of Aubameyang, Morata or Belotti. I'm sure we've all got our preferred choice but let's not argue amongst ourselves as to which one is better.

I've got my favourite but will be happy with any one of them and even more happy that it wasn't Lukaku.

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

Yet, you somehow can justify 80m for Morata who has struggled to establish himself at two sides, has managed 10+ goals in one single season his career,  and has absolutely no stand out qualities that separate him from any other striker. Odd, but righto. 

Side note, I've actually watched Belotti play in general and not basing anything from that YouTube clip. That was merely to showcase there's far more to his game than what you had stated - a sample if you will. 

We'll see what happens going forward. I don't mind Morata in general, just not as our main CF or for the price quoted. Belotti has considerably more upside to his game and fit here. 

I don't justify £80m for Morata. I think it's obscene given that he's Reals back-up striker. Personally I think he's value is probably somewhere around the £50m mark. I'd say Belottis value is somewhere around that as well. Probably a bit less. 

I suppose we have massively different opinions on the tree strikers. I think Morata has a lot of stand-out qualities. Certainly more than Belotti who really only has his finishing as a stand-out quality.

It's a fair point that Morata has never been an automatic starter, something I already mentioned as a drawback. But given that he was competing against some of the best strikers in the world while Belotti has been paying his trade in AlbinoLeffe, Palermo and Torino. Hardly fair comparisons...  

Auba's scoring record for Dortmund is amazing and he has european pedegree too. At 28 he is entering his peak years but I am a little concerned if his style will work with ours. His pace is lightning and would be great on the counter attack but I am thinking about how he would cope with a packed defence that offer no quarter.

We are used to having a striker that holds the ball up, brings others into play and battles with defences. I think Belotti would suit us better but that clause is a major sticking point.

1 minute ago, kratos said:

Auba's scoring record for Dortmund is amazing and he has european pedegree too. At 28 he is entering his peak years but I am a little concerned if his style will work with ours. His pace is lightning and would be great on the counter attack but I am thinking about how he would cope with a packed defence that offer no quarter.

We are used to having a striker that holds the ball up, brings others into play and battles with defences. I think Belotti would suit us better but that clause is a major sticking point.

I have the same concerns. Torres II. Just seems like a very bad fit for how we play, and more importantly, how teams play us. 

Posted (edited)

Sky Sources: Chelsea agree fee of £40 million with Monaco for midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko. 

Guess it won't be long now.

IMG_6601.PNG

Edited by James Prescott

7 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

This for me is spot on. I do not get all the love for Bakayoko, as whilst he 'looks like a player' he does very little in games to prove this. In particular, I am very concerned that he will find the PL hard to adjust to as he already drops out of games for 60-70 mins as he cannot keep up with the pace/intensity (see how often he is subbed and/or the two games against Juve in the CL). Therefore, any comparison to Yaya is null and void and only made because they are both black and absolute units. 

It's one of the reasons I'd prefer Chalobah over Bakayoko at the moment. Both have a very similar skill set and are the same age, but one costs us nothing whereas the other will cost us about £35m... money that would be better spent going toward cover for Fabregas, for example or toward another attacking midfielder higher up the pitch. Bakayoko may well have had more starts at a higher level (including CL), but at least Chalobah won't need 'time to adjust'. A run of games is what he needs.

So, we seem to be in for, at least, one of the three strikers. Everyone of them has some drawbacks, all three have some great attributes and I for one will be happy with any of them. Whichever one we end up with will be a gamble, never played in the PL or with their new teammates. Forget the money, it's not ours to worry about, the fees at the moment are just stupid in general, there is always a Chelsea mark up and everyone knows we are desperate for a striker so we are never gonna get a bargain are we? 

Bakayoko? Yes please, we need some strength there and he looks like he would fit in well.

Bakayoko will be the most we've spent on a player since Torres. Literally. Our second highest transfer ever. Which is crazy when you think about it.

Though I fully expect our transfer record to be broken possibly twice this summer - on whichever striker we sign, and possibly on Sandro as well. Still not sure what striker we'll end up signing, but hunch is Aubangyang is favourite right now. But either way, we'll sign one of Belotti or Aubangyang, and both would be excellent signings. 

7 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

So, we seem to be in for, at least, one of the three strikers. Everyone of them has some drawbacks, all three have some great attributes and I for one will be happy with any of them. Whichever one we end up with will be a gamble, never played in the PL or with their new teammates. Forget the money, it's not ours to worry about, the fees at the moment are just stupid in general, there is always a Chelsea mark up and everyone knows we are desperate for a striker so we are never gonna get a bargain are we? 

Bakayoko? Yes please, we need some strength there and he looks like he would fit in well.

Same could be said of Costa and Drogba!