Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,707 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Most gutting news of the summer, selling Cholabah, who I rate highly.

Apparently Conte really rates him and they offered him a five year deal and more playing time to stay, but he wanted to go.

Don't blame Chelsea for this, nor do I blame Chalobah for wanting to go. 

Just hope we get a buy back clause - surely we will. 

However it leaves us with only 3 homegrown players apparently. We really need to promote a HG and maybe buy a HG player too, to meet the requirements. 

Good luck to Nat, sad day. 

Witt Matic wanting out too we'll need to buy another CM as well as Bakayoko. Possibly an English one, as backup. 

We are gonna to have to, cannot imagine going into the seaon with 3 midfielders.

Apparently no buy back clause because he had only 1 year left in his contract.

It's always sad to see an academy player leave but I'm not sure Chalobah going will warrant the inevitable meltdown it will cause. A decent player but I've always thought he has been overrated, and whilst he could've been a good squad option I don't think he was ready for regular starts. In fact I doubt he ever will be for a club playing at our level. 

That said I hope he does well at Watford, just not too well! 

I would imagine Baker is set to stay in the squad then....

I thought Baker was an AM? I'd love him to stay in the squad but thought he was off on loan. Maybe that will change now Chalobah is gone - I honestly think Chelsea thought Nat would stay. 

Definitely need to sign a second CM now. Matic now being linked with Juventus, probably came up in Sandro negotiations, he's training away from rest of the squad apparently, so is clearly off. Means we have 3 players with Bakayoko, for 2 positions - definitely need another there, especially if Bakayoko is out till September - need quality back up there ASAP.

Bakayoko and another CM needed then. And probably another English player. Raises the prospect of Barkley or someone like Delph coming in without doubt - wouldn't be surprised if those rumours began soon. 

Our squad is starting to look thin in midfield and up front - got to prioritise these positions before the Charity Shield IMO.

My one complaint where Conte is concerned is that he doesn't seem to have any issue with getting rid of every single English player. 

I'd prefer to have an English player with potential than a slightly better foreign import.

I'd forego trophies right now for success in the near future with an English core. If Cahill is edged out, what then? 

Wilkins was spot on regarding Bakayoko coming in for Chalobah.  

I think we're being quick to blame Chelsea for selling these players. But all the reports I've read, especially regarding Ake and Chalobah, is that the PLAYER asked to move. Chelsea wanted to keep them both, and offered Chalobah a new five year contract and told him he'd get more games this season, Conte is apparently a fan of his. But like Ake, he asked to go.

Cahill is actually more vulnerable purely in terms of ability - there's better defenders out there, maybe even at our club. I've said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Christensen (a home grown player), breaks through and supplants him this year. And I am still 100% convicned Abraham will end up as our number one striker long term. Chelsea have tied him down to a long term deal and apparently not bought young strikers intentionally, to give him a chance. I've said elsewhere that I beleive we'll sign Llorente on a short-term deal and then Abraham, provided he does well at Swansea, will come back next summer (possibly the summer after) and challenge seriously for the first team.

Musonda is getting a chance this season and with Hazard injured that gives him more of a chance at the start of the season. I hope he takes it. 

I do believe we're on the verge of young players breaking through - and that Chelsea would rather keep them than sell them. 

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

My one complaint where Conte is concerned is that he doesn't seem to have any issue with getting rid of every single English player. 

I'd prefer to have an English player with potential than a slightly better foreign import.

I'd forego trophies right now for success in the near future with an English core. If Cahill is edged out, what then? 

Wilkins was spot on regarding Bakayoko coming in for Chalobah.  

Exactly how I feel.

I know I'm not thinking rationally tonight because this has well and truly p*ssed me off, but I can't help but feel that because £5m is such a poxy amount of money too, we would have been better off keeing him here for a year (against his will initially) and try to actually prove to him that he's part of our plans by giving him game time. 

Worst case scenario he either doesn't perform or doesn't get gametime meaning he leaves next summer for free, but best case scenario is he plays, enjoys it, and ends up signing a new deal and we keep him around.  Worth risking £5m, for me.

On the flipside I suppose the club didn't want to fall out with someone whose grown up with us, in a World Cup year.

*Sigh*

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, kratos said:

We are gonna to have to, cannot imagine going into the seaon with 3 midfielders.

This is the big worry. I have been annoyed by the talk of Matic leaving and, although I seem to be in a minority that rates him, even someone who isn't a fan will appreciate him being replaced by Bakayoko is not ideal with the extra games we will have this season. 

We do need to upgrade in certain positions but clearly we need more players. It shouldn't be Matic or Bakayoko it needs to be Matic and Bakayoko, or at least two players of similar quality. And that included Chalobah as a backup. 

So far this transfer window has been very poor, we need to bring in at least 6 players if Costa, Matic and Chalobah leave. And I'm not convinced we will. 

And before I'm accused of overreacting, I'm fully aware of how long is left in the window. But we have a track record of ****ing these things up. 

Hopefully we get it done, Bakayoko looks in the bag, we know we're buying another striker (that's if Batshuyai stays!). Sandro and Danilo are possibilities and surely another midfielder. That's without strengthening in the AM positions. 

That just seems like a lot too me.