Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,081 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, CFC1966 said:

Ake and now Chalobah makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever...none, it's madness...

Both capable of filling out the squad depth, both capable and able at first team level to "fill-in" when needed, I just don't get the strategy. 

Why does there have to be a strategy about it? Ake and Chalobah wanted more gametime than what they were probably going to get here this season and therefore decided to leave.

16 hours ago, Uber Robben said:

Strongly disagree. He's an average player who relies on his pace to bail him out. For £50m+ for a fullback I'd be looking at Lahm, Alves, Cafu quality. 

See how much Spurs gave a crap when he was frozen out near the end of the season. Trippier is far better, I'd hate to think how much they value him.

If walker is going for £50m+ I'd be delighted if we got Sandro for anywhere near that.

Agreed, though I don't think Trippier is anything more than average himself. 

16 hours ago, Ham said:

"The pull of Pep" to Barca or Bayern maybe but his stock is down right now and he's based in Manchester and at the wrong club in Manchester.

Chitty only have the money. Nothing else.

This. 

15 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I think this season will be make or break for Pep's reputation. If City don't win the PL or CL this season, I expect the owners to strat asking some questions. They are probably bookies favourites at the moment, but that back line still looks really dodgy to me.

Back line is dodgy and a midfield that consists of a crocked Gundogan and an ancient Yaya. 

9 hours ago, DannyLB said:

That's a shame, it really is. Surely we can't sell Matic now....more one in one out types of transfers. We'll play with 7 defenders at this rate.

You would think not, but it really wouldn't surprise me if we went into the season with 3 CM's (2 and a half keeping Bakayoko's injury in mind). 

9 hours ago, Orange Blue said:

Just close the Academy. It's a waste of everyones time.

Nope, it's a money making exercise. Think we should resign ourselves to that now. 

9 hours ago, DannyLB said:

I would imagine Baker is set to stay in the squad then....

Doubt it. 

9 hours ago, Ham said:

My one complaint where Conte is concerned is that he doesn't seem to have any issue with getting rid of every single English player. 

Really doubt it's Conte's sole decision tbh. 

8 hours ago, Rob B said:

Exactly how I feel.

I know I'm not thinking rationally tonight because this has well and truly p*ssed me off, but I can't help but feel that because £5m is such a poxy amount of money too, we would have been better off keeing him here for a year (against his will initially) and try to actually prove to him that he's part of our plans by giving him game time. 

Worst case scenario he either doesn't perform or doesn't get gametime meaning he leaves next summer for free, but best case scenario is he plays, enjoys it, and ends up signing a new deal and we keep him around.  Worth risking £5m, for me.

On the flipside I suppose the club didn't want to fall out with someone whose grown up with us, in a World Cup year.

*Sigh*

Yup, totally agree. What a waste. 

8 hours ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

This is the big worry. I have been annoyed by the talk of Matic leaving and, although I seem to be in a minority that rates him, even someone who isn't a fan will appreciate him being replaced by Bakayoko is not ideal with the extra games we will have this season. 

We do need to upgrade in certain positions but clearly we need more players. It shouldn't be Matic or Bakayoko it needs to be Matic and Bakayoko, or at least two players of similar quality. And that included Chalobah as a backup. 

So far this transfer window has been very poor, we need to bring in at least 6 players if Costa, Matic and Chalobah leave. And I'm not convinced we will. 

And before I'm accused of overreacting, I'm fully aware of how long is left in the window. But we have a track record of ****ing these things up. 

Hopefully we get it done, Bakayoko looks in the bag, we know we're buying another striker (that's if Batshuyai stays!). Sandro and Danilo are possibilities and surely another midfielder. That's without strengthening in the AM positions. 

That just seems like a lot too me. 

Yes, Matic certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea but he's a solid squad option who has experience and know how and would be very helpful for the long, arduous season ahead. 

If we end up selling him to a local rival...

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I just can't see it. Imo, in addition to being English, and 'relatively' cheap, he's also completely ordinary.  Another young English  media myth. May as well buy Barkley too, and we can own the set!

Agreed. Really don't rate either. 

Anyone know what's going on with players like Pasalic and van Ginkel?

They must be training with the loan group, and van Ginkel's strongly rumoured to be off to PSV again, but maybe the club's thinking one/both of them (along with Baker) could be candidates for the back up spots...

8 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

13 senior outfielders with considerable question marks over Christensen and Bats... Wtf is going on? 

We'd have to go out and get ourselves 7 new players in this crazy market. We are;

One RWB short

One LWB short

Two CMs short (even if Baker gets a squad number)

One AM short (even if we keep Musonda)

Two strikers short (minimum, if Bats leaves we need three). 

7-8 players of sufficient quality. Yeah - good luck with that. It'll take £350-400m to achieve that... I think we can all rest assured that we will do what we always seem to do these days. Never mind us shooting ourselves in the foot. We blow both our legs off with a bazooka. 

Yes, at the moment there's some serious hara kiri going on. We're leaving ourselves with a lot of work to do with time running out for the season to begin. 

8 hours ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

Good post, what I was trying to say earlier but with the numbers it's even more worrying. Time to panic. 

Almost.

8 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

Er, no.

Every year people post the same comments - pointing out that the squad is short, the Board amateurs, the transfer targets wrong, and the whole house of cards about to tumble.

Then we win a trophy.

Go figure.

I think the worry is that we have past for having a great, trophy leaden season and following that up with a summer where we cripple the squad. Doesn't look any different at the moment tbh.

7 hours ago, Ham said:

You've not mentioned Zouma, Kenedy or Musonda, let alone anyone else on the horizon.

I'm not saying it's ideal AT THE MOMENT but you were exaggerating the situation for effect. 

Zouma is almost certainly going to be sent on loan, and as Dave has mentioned a 6th CB doesn't really add much in terms of squad strength.

Kenedy only played dead rubbers last season. I'm surprised he's still with us, though at this rate we may as well hold on to him!

Musonda hasn't played a minute for us yet. Don't see how he's all of a sudden going to be a serious option. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

1. Sure - I'm not questioning whether he is a talent or not, I'm just questioning how much we can count on him even if he would have a stellar pre-season. He's got 0 PL minutes...although 24 apps in La Liga isn't to be sniffed at (cue Droy and his noddy league claim). But our history in this department isn't exactly great reading (unfortunately!)

2. The problem is that it's five players we need to negotiate a contract with and agree fees with their respective clubs, sort out a medical and preferably do this within four weeks (I'd prefer it to be done within two). 

3. Miazga, Omeruo and Hector aren't even factors (unless we aim to get rid of Christensen permanently - which to be honest wouldn't be a huge surprise considering how things are going). But 6 CBs wouldn't be something that actually bolsters our squad - the 6th CB would hardly see any playing time whatsoever. Piazon has basically confirmed he'll leave.

Can't see a place for Boga now that Musonda seems to be given a squad number. Rahman would be the only serious option that I could see if we fail to sign a LWB. Maybe also Kenedy but if we sign Danilo I'm quite sure Kenedy would be WB4 and even if Alonso gets injured we'd rather play Danilo out of position at LWB instead of drafting in Kenedy... The point is that none of these players (bar Rahman) are even close to the level of Nate and Ake. How much time did they see last season? 

4. The only absolute I see is that we are woefully short on numbers at the moment and that it will take a monumental performance from Marina to ensure we have a competitive squad come start of the season. Personally I can't see us starting the season with a proper squad. 

Good post. Agree with this.

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

The key word here are "at the moment", and I would agree with you that we're short on numbers, at the moment. But we are effectively only 2 weeks into the transfer window, with plenty of time to go, for Marina/Emenalo to do their thing.  Let's hope that they do.......:).

At the moment we're woefully short in terms of numbers...and we're a couple of days way from leaving on tour where you would want a full squad working together. 

It's very worrying. 

39 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

As for the issue with our squad, it looks very short on numbers right now but it's quite clearly not the time to panic just yet. We still have another month or so until we really need to start worrying. 

There's a fair chance that there is going to be more players coming in than we are expecting, just because were not being linked with more players doesn't mean we won't be bringing more in. I refuse to believe that we will be going into  the season with such a small squad, it just can't happen.

What I don't understand is why cripple the squad and then go on a desperate dash to pad it out? It just weakens our position in the market and delays the makeup and harmony of the squad.

44 minutes ago, CFC1966 said:

Ake and now Chalobah makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever...none, it's madness...

Both capable of filling out the squad depth, both capable and able at first team level to "fill-in" when needed, I just don't get the strategy. 

Personally, I doubt that it's part of any club strategy. i just think that the players wanted to pay regularly, rather than regularly sit on the bench at Chelsea. given the players we're being linked to, Ake was probably considered to be expendable anyway. Chalobah though, would have been a disappointment for Conte/the club I feel, but with just a year left on his contract, the options were limited. I don't know obviously, but maybe we have a buy-back clause in one, or both contracts?

5 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

At the moment we're woefully short in terms of numbers...and we're a couple of days way from leaving on tour where you would want a full squad working together. 

It's very worrying. 

I doubt that we've ever left for a pre-season tour with a full squad. Usually, we have a few, then some join up during the tour, and then some join after get back. It varies, and at the moment, it doesn't worry me at all. 

1 minute ago, Michael Tucker said:

I doubt that we've ever left for a pre-season tour with a full squad. Usually, we have a few, then some join up during the tour, and then some join after get back. It varies, and at the moment, it doesn't worry me at all. 

Quite, people are acting as if we normally have all our business done by now, fly off on our tour with all the new players and a full squad. It doesn't work like that, for any club, it's never caused a problem before and it shouldn't cause any problem now.

Two of our best players last season were bought at the very end of the window.

If we go into September with a squad as small as it looks now then I'll be seriously worried, until then I think we should all just wait and see.

1 minute ago, Michael Tucker said:

That's because we often have players reporting back at different times due to international commitments that run into the summer. That's not the case this year; everyone who is meant to have reported back has done so.

I don't think I've ever seen a squad this short on the verge of a pre-season tour. 

It can't be as mad as it looks, surely you are pretty confident who is coming in before letting people go that could have had futures

20 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

What I don't understand is why cripple the squad and then go on a desperate dash to pad it out? It just weakens our position in the market and delays the makeup and harmony of the squad.

It's not yet been crippled though, we've not lost anyone that played a major role last season. Costa and Matic both look set to leave but Bakayoko replaces Matic and there is no doubt we will sign a replacement for Costa.

The rest of our departures are all just squad players that didn't really make that much difference last year.

Maybe we are concentrating on bringing in the first team players now and then will fill out the squad with whatever remains of the budget?