Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,082 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Next to go... Kenedy. He's more useless than Chalobah. But supposed that's why he won't be sold.

People need to realise there's a thing such as being too good for a squad filler role. Talented kids will only play that role in a squad for so long, then they'll get to that 20-23 age range where they start wanting to play more regularly. If they're not good enough at a club like ours to do that, the only option is a move. Which is exactly what's happened with Ake and Chalobah. Can't really be angry for promising players wanting to you know you, actually play. 

The positions players like that hold in a squad are the ones where regular changes will be had season to season. You keep you main core. You draft in a player or two to improve on that, then you fill out the squad. The latter fillers will change season to season, depending on their quality, contracts, desire to maintain that role, etc. Role players aren't the nucleus and they'll forever change. 

The one some react on here I'd hate to see how they cope with a sport like basketball and frequently seeing squad turnover happen. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Squad I expect to see come the end of the transfer window:

GK: Courtois, Cabellero, Eduardo

CB: Azpilicueta, Cahill, Luiz, Rudiger, Christensen, Hector

WB: Moses, Alonso, Danilo, Kenedy

CM: Kante, Fabregas, Bakayoko, Baker

AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Musonda Jr.

STK: Batshuayi, Morata, Llorente

 

 

That's what I'm expecting, not want, but expecting - I think Matic will stay though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's bollocks though, because had they been actually used as squad rotation options then they might've been willing to stay. 15 appearances for Chalobah in all comps means **** all when he got less than 200 PL minutes, whilst Aké got 98 PL minutes after returning from Bournemouth - and only got that FA Cup Semi because of injury (you'll recall Conte also rested Hazard and Costa for much of that game as he was prepared to lose it in order to focus on the league). That's not squad rotation, that's squad fringe, and you can't keep players around with the promise of more if it repeatedly fails to materialise.

A player can play just under 3500 minutes in a league season; anything short of 1000 minutes doesn't count as a rotation option/squad filler, and anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise is simply continuing to move the goalposts in this discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zidane said:

You can only ever be good enough to play regularly for a team that wants to win the CL...when you are playing regularly for a team that wants to win the CL.

Well said. Thing is we would rather sell players who could play at that level, for players who have already been played at that level. If Bakayoyo wasn't playing in the CL last season there's no way we would be in for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

What a horrible squad that is , one quality keeper and two questionable ones , three tested CB's and three we know nothing about , WB , ok , CM one injured one kid one slow , AM one injured one kid , STK don't think we'll get Morata or anyone else so Bats and an injured iirc Llorente.

I hope sincerely this does not pan out.

Yeh, agree completely Mark. That squad doesn't look anything like strong enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, chelsian2015 said:

 1- And yes we won the League after Conte tried to bandage our team, but did we have an advantage of playing lesser games compared to our rivals or not? you don't consider us lucky at that time having this advantage?

 2 -but it's very clear that the club is at the verge of a dangerous decline if not being guided seriously and promptly.

3-This coming season is different, all our rivals are packed up with killing machines as you see, and we want to get back as a strong contender in the ECL.   

  

 

Hey Chelsian. I'm a but surprised by some of this mate.

1 - Yes, we did have an advantage of playing fewer games, but that doesn't mean we won the league through luck alone. I don't think you meant to say that anyway of course, but I thought your remark did tend to put a cloud over what was a terrific achievement by us.

2 - Is it really? I think most people on here regard the current transfer window as being pretty much par for the course for us and we have still remained a leading player previously. The season before last was a pretty unique disaster in the Roman era I think and we bounced back in style last season.

3 - Are they? I think only City have signed a significant number of players and their squad still seems to be defence-light to me. As for the rest, they haven't changed much from last season yet surely? Lukaku to Manure is not that much to worry about is it? Nor Lacazette to Arse? Liverpool haven't done anything more than we have yet and Spurs? Well Spurs are the same as last year, which is very strong of course, but not more so than last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Hey Chelsian. I'm a but surprised by some of this mate.

1 - Yes, we did have an advantage of playing fewer games, but that doesn't mean we won the league through luck alone. I don't think you meant to say that anyway of course, but I thought your remark did tend to put a cloud over what was a terrific achievement by us.

 

I would like to add that yes we were helped by less games but we knew that at the start of last season and as such the squad did not have to be so big. Had we had CL I am sure we would have had a bigger squad and been able to use some of our league form into the CL.

This year a bigger squad with better back ups is required

Edited by exiledblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Have you guys seen the pics of Bakayoko having dinner with WIllian and Luiz?

 

 

Edited by DannyLB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Have you guys seen the pics of Bakayoko having dinner with WIllian and Luiz?

 

 

There are also some with him said to be in MAnchester. Assuming it was dinner last night can't see how he could have got to manchester when it said he was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Juni said:

That's bollocks though, because had they been actually used as squad rotation options then they might've been willing to stay. 15 appearances for Chalobah in all comps means **** all when he got less than 200 PL minutes, whilst Aké got 98 PL minutes after returning from Bournemouth - and only got that FA Cup Semi because of injury (you'll recall Conte also rested Hazard and Costa for much of that game as he was prepared to lose it in order to focus on the league). That's not squad rotation, that's squad fringe, and you can't keep players around with the promise of more if it repeatedly fails to materialise.

A player can play just under 3500 minutes in a league season; anything short of 1000 minutes doesn't count as a rotation option/squad filler, and anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise is simply continuing to move the goalposts in this discussion.

Isn't bollocks at all. Ake was 5th choice CB, 2nd choice LWB and like 5th choice CM. He was never in a position where he was going to get regular minutes, be it last season or going forward. More so when last season we played less games overall and had minimal injuries. Reality is, he was (and is) no better than anyone else we have for the positions he plays. 

Squad fillers aren't going to get regular playing time, hence why those roles are barely filled by talented players of any age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now