Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

I would like to add that yes we were helped by less games but we knew that at the start of last season and as such the squad did not have to be so big. Had we had CL I am sure we would have had a bigger squad and been able to use some of our league form into the CL.

This year a bigger squad with better back ups is required

Yep, quite right mate.

12 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

There are also some with him said to be in MAnchester. Assuming it was dinner last night can't see how he could have got to manchester when it said he was

Apparently he was trolling united fans on Twitter and bats was joining in too. He has also posted pics from Cobham so he is definitely coming to us guess the injury is holding it up.

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Hey Chelsian. I'm a but surprised by some of this mate.

1 - Yes, we did have an advantage of playing fewer games, but that doesn't mean we won the league through luck alone. I don't think you meant to say that anyway of course, but I thought your remark did tend to put a cloud over what was a terrific achievement by us.

2 - Is it really? I think most people on here regard the current transfer window as being pretty much par for the course for us and we have still remained a leading player previously. The season before last was a pretty unique disaster in the Roman era I think and we bounced back in style last season.

3 - Are they? I think only City have signed a significant number of players and their squad still seems to be defence-light to me. As for the rest, they haven't changed much from last season yet surely? Lukaku to Manure is not that much to worry about is it? Nor Lacazette to Arse? Liverpool haven't done anything more than we have yet and Spurs? Well Spurs are the same as last year, which is very strong of course, but not more so than last year.

A beautiful afternoon Pete, I will stop right here for the sake of keeping the forum as fresh and meaningful as possible, although I respect your opinion, but as mentioned in the news that Conte is planing to get done with the transfer by the end of this coming week and before they travel to the far east. I'm not panicing, I know we still have time till the end of the transfer window, and us talking about players will not bring them in, so lets wait and see who we end up with.   

1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

I would like to add that yes we were helped by less games but we knew that at the start of last season and as such the squad did not have to be so big. Had we had CL I am sure we would have had a bigger squad and been able to use some of our league form into the CL.

This year a bigger squad with better back ups is required

However - if we had started to address squad size and quality last year (even with fewer games as no CL) then the outlay and the work needed this summer wouldn't have to be so severe, expensive as a single window or as many new faces to bring in an settle at once. It was a problem last year no matter the lack of CL.

2 hours ago, Juni said:

That's bollocks though, because had they been actually used as squad rotation options then they might've been willing to stay. 15 appearances for Chalobah in all comps means **** all when he got less than 200 PL minutes, whilst Aké got 98 PL minutes after returning from Bournemouth - and only got that FA Cup Semi because of injury (you'll recall Conte also rested Hazard and Costa for much of that game as he was prepared to lose it in order to focus on the league). That's not squad rotation, that's squad fringe, and you can't keep players around with the promise of more if it repeatedly fails to materialise.

A player can play just under 3500 minutes in a league season; anything short of 1000 minutes doesn't count as a rotation option/squad filler, and anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise is simply continuing to move the goalposts in this discussion.

Good post.

Truth is Ake could have easily played when he came back from loan, he was getting better and better with every game at Bournemouth; we stopped his growth and then sold him, just doesn't make sense. As for Chalobah, he could have easily played ahead of Matic, and what really won't make sense is if we get rid of Matic; because we played him ahead of a younger player who has serious potential, only then to go sell Matic for not being good enough and Chalobah for lack of experience.

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

However - if we had started to address squad size and quality last year (even with fewer games as no CL) then the outlay and the work needed this summer wouldn't have to be so severe, expensive as a single window or as many new faces to bring in an settle at once. It was a problem last year no matter the lack of CL.

I agree, it seems like we didn't plan ahead but instead did just enough. Was it a lack of ambition from the club? Or fear that we may not recover from the slump? Or was it simply the case of not being able to attract the players?

58 minutes ago, chelsian2015 said:

A beautiful afternoon Pete, I will stop right here for the sake of keeping the forum as fresh and meaningful as possible, although I respect your opinion, but as mentioned in the news that Conte is planing to get done with the transfer by the end of this coming week and before they travel to the far east. I'm not panicing, I know we still have time till the end of the transfer window, and us talking about players will not bring them in, so lets wait and see who we end up with.   

Yep, fair enough mate.

7 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

I agree, it seems like we didn't plan ahead but instead did just enough. Was it a lack of ambition from the club? Or fear that we may not recover from the slump? Or was it simply the case of not being able to attract the players?

Maybe a bit of both?

Everyone on here would have been delighted with a top 4 finish after finishing 10th in the 15/16 season so to actually go and win the league must have surprised everyone.

The lack of attracting players part could have been due to the previous season, no CL football or the club not willing to pay the prices being quoted.

8 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Maybe a bit of both?

Everyone on here would have been delighted with a top 4 finish after finishing 10th in the 15/16 season so to actually go and win the league must have surprised everyone.

The lack of attracting players part could have been due to the previous season, no CL football or the club not willing to pay the prices being quoted.

you can only get the best when you are playing at the top level in the top competitions, people were not interested in a team that had behaviour issues and maybe rather than chase and not get he was willing to give it a go with what we had, maybe buy in jan if needed.

Apparently Zouma has just signed a four year contract extension and is off to Stoke for a season long loan.