• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

life   

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/torres-no-longer-25-goal-a-season-man-6408810?utm_source=Get+West+London&utm_medium=twitter

Fernando Torres no longer has the skill to be a 25-goal-a-season player, according to Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

The Chelsea number nine has scored just six goals in 17 games this season, two of those in the Premier League, and his manager says he needs to do far better.

One of those two league goals came against Crystal Palace at the weekend, but Mourinho used the occasion to focus on the striker's shortcomings.

Speaking of his performance in the match, the Chelsea boss said: “He was the Torres that we know, giving a hard time to the opponents. Without the ball he presses a lot and he's not a comfortable opponent.

“When the team has the ball he's the kind of guy that makes movements and tries to open space.

“When he has the ball on his feet with the back to the goal, he's not a very skilful player, we know that.

“In their goal, he lost the ball when he dropped back to the midfield. He lost the ball and they made a counter-attack on that. He's not that player.

“But he does his contribution and it's the kind of goal we demand from him. Goalkeeper saves the ball, he's there, pow, goal. And this is the kind of goal we expect from him.”

Mourinho then turned to the poor returns from all three of his strikers, Torres included.

Asked how many goals he wanted from them, he said: “We are not saying 25 or 30 because our strikers are not these kind of killers, but two goals for each one of them is too short. They have to come - and they will - for different numbers.”

Torres has only once in his career topped the 25-goal mark, netting 33 in his first season at Liverpool.

On four other occasions he scored more than 20 – including last season at Chelsea, where he managed 22.

For those who still feel we don't urgently need better strikers and still have faith in torres, this is from the manager himself.

Jose's ramblings so far have been about getting a good front man, This must is the 3rd time he is hitting this issue so I think those expecting a top class midfielder will be disappointed because a front man is what we need even more, we may get a midfielder because of the van ginkel situation but I doubt he will be better than what we have, esp if its guarin...

he is different to what we have, but not better..he wont magically make the front men more productive or more more effective when the attack is going forward, mata, hazard, eto, oscar etc deserve much better than the forwards we have..

Edited by life

life   

And also consider this, we have improved squad depth greatly, compared to last season

we bought willian for about 32 mill, schurrle for 17 mill, van ginkel.

got the best manager in the world

yet we are only 4 points better than last season, thats not good enough,

considering we were 14 points away from 1st place last season when the league ended.

why? because we didn't improve the front men

that's my opinion..which I think Jose and I seem to share

What are you talking about? I'm not criticizing Mourinho for this at all. In fact I've supported all his decisions including a rather unpopular one to sit Mata. I'm just frustrated with the Premier League strikers that we have. If they aren't doing their job, they are hardly more "Premier League" than a League One striker who is actually capable of scoring a sitter

Well you said you wanted us to give Bamford a shot.

He's a League One striker so I think that's slightly desperate and not a really relevant comment. How many other strikers form the Championship/League One should be given the same 'chance'?

Has Eto'o done anything to indicate that he should have taken the place of Lukaku? An with Lukaku out on loan until the end of the season it wouldn't be a bad idea to get rid of him this January an bring in Bamford. It's nothing to do with panicking or anything like that, it's looking at te possibility of getting more goals. I have been all for supporting misfiring strikers, just check the Shevchenko thread if not the Torres one lol, but there is a limit to how many misfiring strikers we can have. Unless the rumours are true that Ba will go the other way in a Guarin deal, then Eto'o for Bamford will only improve us. It's actually sad to say it, but the truth is that currently Bamford will at least bring in something new to the team and possibly more goals, in fact I will say he will bring more goals.

Lukaku asked to leave. Get it. ASKED. It was HIS choice.

That you are even indicating that Bamford should be given a chance ahead of Eto'o says it all. It's not a serious discussion. It's jibberish and not based on anything but a number in Bamfords goals scored column in League One.

Give me 15 mins and I'll give you a list of 10 names form the Swedish Allsvenskan that we should go for and "give a chance" cause they can't be any worse than what we've got - "that's for sure" (end direct quote).

Are you even listening to yourself?

From most reports the Lukaku loan has no January recall option, I am inclined to think we must really be regretting that with the form our strikers have been in. Ba isn't and never will be good enough, Torres showed good form for 5 minutes and has now reverted back to his former self, Eto'o has been the most promising by far and has looked sharp but it seems where age has caught up with him is his injury proneness.

Is it me m, or does Gaurin look like a mix of Mikel, Ramires and Essien? Certainly he has the rampaging run of both the bison and ram, but I see a bit of Mikel about him in how calm he is when he has the ball around the opposition. I think he is a special player and one we need in midfield, rather than a speciality player that some suggest, say one defensive player and one good passer of the ball in the pivot.

We need two players that can pass tackle and read the game both defensively and offensively. Look at Vidal and pogba, bender and Gundogan, Swienstieger (cba to spell right) and Martinez. Toure and fernandonho, all players that can do most things well. If be pretty happy with Garin and Ramires in midfield, we have 3 AMs, why can one not drop deep? Oscar and mata should look to do that more often in my opinion, hazard and Willian/ shurlle would benefit

GURJ SS   

Lukaku asked to leave. Get it. ASKED. It was HIS choice.

That you are even indicating that Bamford should be given a chance ahead of Eto'o says it all. It's not a serious discussion. It's jibberish and not based on anything but a number in Bamfords goals scored column in League One.

Give me 15 mins and I'll give you a list of 10 names form the Swedish Allsvenskan that we should go for and "give a chance" cause they can't be any worse than what we've got - "that's for sure" (end direct quote).

Are you even listening to yourself?

He is a player on our books though, Jose could have said no, but he didn't, why......because he had Eto'o in mind, it's as simple as that.

Same for Bamford, he is a player on our books, so when our strikers are under performing its only natural to use the one further down the order, Bamford and Feruz are next on the list.

What would you do? Continue playing Eto'o? Continue playing Ba? Torres is not firing either but he puts a fair shift in, the others look like they are on holiday, Eto'o is semi retired.

On to Jose's comments... If we had slow defenders we would play a deeper line, if we had fast defenders we could play a higher line. Now put that thinking towards the striker. We don't have a big huge powerful striker, so long balls are out the question, we don't have a fantastic technical player so short balls are out the question. What we do have is a striker who is able to run off the shoulder of a defender, so why not supply him. When Torres scored it was because he was asking for the through ball and had started to make a run into the box, an then continued it after the shot. When Hazard pulled the pass back for Willian, he should have gone for Torres, but made the wrong pass. Our midfielders do play the ball around too much as times, why not put the ball in early and let our striker get a chance to get on the end of it. We over play, you can over play when you have the option on the first two types of strikers I have mentioned, when you have someone like Torres, the ball needs to be played once the player makes a run off the defender. If Torres and co were missing chances then fair play, I would say we need a finisher, but they don't get chances, so getting a finisher won't make a difference. Now if Jose is saying he wants a striker who can create a goal for himself then what we doing with so many AM's at the club, we might as well get rid of a few and buy a striker in the mould of Aguero or Suarez. I blame the strikers but only to a certain point, the rest is in adapting to what you have to work with. Lets say for example, Liverpool and Man City decide to play long ball, what chance will Suarez and Aguero have, if they decided that the ball will be played into the striker with his back to goal instead of while they are running at goal? These teams know what their strikers are like, and adapt to them, that's why we see Dzeko come on when Man City want to go for a longer ball or play into a striker while they hold the ball up, we need to supply out current strikers the way they need to be before looking at other strikers.

Edited by GURJ SS

GURJ SS   

Well you said you wanted us to give Bamford a shot.

He's a League One striker so I think that's slightly desperate and not a really relevant comment. How many other strikers form the Championship/League One should be given the same 'chance'?

The one on our books should get a chance. It all comes down to using the options the club has. Eto'o is pants, Ba is no better. Bamford and Feruz would at least do no worst. Lukaku would regret leaving if they went on to replace them both until the end of the season and win something. I think between Torres and Shurrle we can cover the striker position as use Bamford in the lesser games as a sub.

life   

On to Jose's comments... If we had slow defenders we would play a deeper line, if we had fast defenders we could play a higher line. Now put that thinking towards the striker. We don't have a big huge powerful striker, so long balls are out the question, we don't have a fantastic technical player so short balls are out the question. What we do have is a striker who is able to run off the shoulder

of a defender, so why not supply him.

wrong, torres hasnt got that skill anymore, his pace has also left him, especially after the knee surgery and thee knee injury during world cup, It affects a player badly, look at essein, never been the same since.

When Torres scored it was because he was asking for the through ball and had started to make a run into the box, an then continued it after the shot.

lol, no he was just alert enough to pounce on the return ball, just luck

When Hazard pulled the pass back for Willian, he should have gone for Torres, but made the wrong pass.

honestly how can you blame the am's? for failing strikers....why?

Our midfielders do play the ball around too much as times,

because we are probing to find space to pick the opponent apart, we must find an opening, not just lay like we are idiots

why not put the ball in early and let our striker get a chance to get on the end of it.

lol you think we dont do this? what happens right after? they just loose it, only ba can try and he looses it a lot too.

We over play, you can over play when you have the option on the first two types of strikers I have mentioned, when you have someone like Torres, the ball needs to be played once the player makes a run off the defender. If Torres and co were missing chances then fair play,

lol, they haven't been missing chances? lol, + they dont gamble for chances, they just dont gamble, ba is the only one who does, the rest dont, and they dont even try to get into space...

I would say we need a finisher, but they don't get chances, so getting a finisher won't make a difference. Now if Jose is saying he wants a striker who can create a goal for himself then what we doing with so many AM's at the club, we might as well get rid of a few and buy a striker in the mould of Aguero or Suarez. I blame the strikers but only to a certain point, the rest is in adapting to what you have to work with. Lets say for example, Liverpool and Man City decide to play long ball, what chance will Suarez and Aguero have, if they decided that the ball will be played into the striker with his back to goal instead of while they are running at goal? These teams know what their strikers are like, and adapt to them, that's why we see Dzeko come on when Man City want to go for a longer ball or play into a striker while they hold the ball up, we need to supply out current strikers the way they need to be before looking at other strikers.

-get rid of the am's? why? is there somewhere that says we don't have money for a striker? did we not try for roooney, cavani and falcao in the summer?

why should we weaken the part of the team that is VITAL to how we play football, and our shows our identity for that, especially when we do not lack money or space?

-the am's HAVE adapted, Jose said he will let the players play in ways that get be best out of the strikers at the beginning of the season, you cannot now blame the am's for the strikers not being good enough.....you also see people blame cm's for them not scoring, like really? can't it be the strikers fault?..how can you blame them? we have the best am's in europe along with bayern and barca, if mata, hazard, oscar, willian, schurrle creating chances can't make you prolific, you need to hang your boots..

A striker or forward is not supposed to wait for the ball to get to their feet, all top top strikers are supposed to have the ability to create their own chances, it doesnt mean just because you have talent you dont need creative forwards, it doesnt work like that in football, you still need them to make going forward easy, or else defenders will just man mark the forwards...then where does creativity come from?

our strikers lack the ability to not only create their own chances, but they cannot hold up the ball to bring am's into play, and they are not talented enough for a short passing kind of game(eto is the closest, but not good enough for a short passing game), they have no use....

life   

how did we move from blaming cm's to blaming am's for strikers not scoring? who is next? david luiz and Cech?

Jose himself has said its the strikers, people need to stop this

don't know why it is so hard for some to believe we haven't got good strikers, its worse than poor infact

torres has 2 in the league

ba has 1 in the league

eto has 2 in the league

amazing really

if they even had 4 each, we'd be top of the league...

we deserve better

Edited by life