Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,150 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Azpi would be great,  Willian could do it.  Moreover why we would need to play Bakayoko AND Kante in the same team?  One is enough.

Sounds a great state to me.  AND we are still looking to sell Matic  :)

Just how many windows have passed since you first claimed he'd be got rid of in the next transfer window?

19 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

Didn't intend to 'belittle' - just to offer a contrary point of view. Genuine apology for that.

My issue is with the "why" clearly laid out - a lot of it rests on the assumption that press rumours are true. 

And quite a lot of the factually accurate stuff assumes that where we are now is where will stay - e.g. Because we're currently selling players we won't succeed in replacing them. Rather like panicking when you sit down to an empty plate in a restaurant, even though you haven't been served yet.

My contrary view is based less on my own fleeting fears/doubts (I have those 'what ifs...? too) and more on precedent. Our club has done consistently well over several years, so clearly something works.

And I agree it's a forum - but IMO we're at our best when we argue the case for what squad needs and which players might meet that need - at our worst when we get stuck in an 'everythings going wrong' groove.

But to end, respect to all who post here and ad apologies if any offended.

In my opinion you didn't owe anyone an apology there and I'm surprised it was SD of all people acting offended.

In addition, you've made your point succinctly here as well. Nice analogy regarding the meal. 

If we're still short of players at the end of the window I'll join those panicking. Until then.......

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Uber Robben said:

Second choice. The deal only went through after Alves turned them down. Props to them for getting a deal done quickly after though...although that might have something to do with Daniel Levy running to the bank with £50m+ for Kyle sodding Walker!

Wrong. They wanted both. Walker been a target for months, his head was turned last season, one reason he was dropped by Spurs. City had none and wanted two, to rotate and add experience. 

So they didn't get the deal 'done quickly', it's taken ages to do. Mendy is their LB option and always has been, but they've still not completed a deal for him yet, so have effectively no first choice LB.

It's not just us up the creek with a broken paddle. At the moment. 

Posted (edited)

I've just done a quick look over our rivals squad numbers, just to try and see how we're sitting and currently first team squads as they stand (not taking in to account expected incomings or outgoings) currently look like this:

Arsenal - 28
Man City - 22
Liverpool - 22
Man Utd - 21
Chelsea - 20
Spurs - 19

Obviously not taking in to account the quality and strength in depth etc, but it does show that in total numbers we're not far behind most of our rivals, apart from Arsenal who have an extraordinarily large squad.

If we add 3/4 players in the right positions and replace the departing Costa and Matic, I think we'll be in good shape and I do expect the club to do that.

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

35 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Wrong. They wanted both. Walker been a target for months, his head was turned last season, one reason he was dropped by Spurs. City had none and wanted two, to rotate and add experience. 

So they didn't get the deal 'done quickly', it's taken ages to do. Mendy is their LB option and always has been, but they've still not completed a deal for him yet, so have effectively no first choice LB.

Walker had a bust up with Ponch and this is why he was dropped. Questions were then had about Walkers fitness, in which he was dropped for the Arsenal game - basically settling his desire to leave. Throw in the fact he could also earn more money elsewhere given Spurs rigid pay structure. 

Only after all this did the talk of him leaving come to fruition and thus the City links begun. He was first choice start of the season and had only signed a new 5 year deal earlier. 

Certainly not overly bothered by how quickly Man City may have competed this deal, given they got fleeced for £50m.

51 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Is Bakayoko old enough for you?

87 La Ligue appearances.  - It is a lot more important than anything we can say about Chalobah.  
Most important is that he has been tested, scouted, and the club know what they are getting (although I admit I don't).  If I, or the club,  want to know how good he is, all we need to do is go to the 87 videos in which he has appeared against a Ligue 1 side.  

48 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Just how many windows have passed since you first claimed he'd be got rid of in the next transfer window?

I know - started bad and got worse.  Lets just hope he goes now.  City would be perfect, but Man U is good enough.

6 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I've just done a quick look over our rivals squad numbers, just to try and see how we're sitting and currently first team squads as they stand (not taking in to account expected incomings or outgoings) currently look like this:

Arsenal - 28
Man City - 22
Liverpool - 22
Man Utd - 21
Chelsea - 20
Spurs - 19

Obviously not taking in to account the quality and strength in depth etc, but it does show that in total numbers we're not far behind most of our rivals, apart from Arsenal who have an extraordinarily large squad.

If we add 3/4 players in the right positions I think we'll be in good shape and I do expect the club to do that.

Nice to see some perspective. 

1 minute ago, xCELERYx said:

Nice to see some perspective. 

I felt it was needed.

I'm not saying we don't need to be signing players, but just trying to show our rivals are in a similar position to us, apart from Arsenal who need to sell a bunch before they can strengthen I would expect.

48 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Speaking of Mendy, now with the Sandro chase all but over maybe he's worth a look. He's just 22 and would not cost as much as Sandro would have.

Posted (edited)

Always been of the belief that to properly compete on all fronts, you need (more or less) two players for every position, not necessarily all of the same standard but you need that strength in depth.

Edited by synavm