Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, chelsian2015 said:

You can read so much into JM's head from this article, It looks like he is trying to lobby against us lol, but the funniest I've read is "‘To finish second, third or fourth is like being first, second and third of the last because there is only one winner". Not too strange I think, I heard him once before calling the Europa league is for losers. The man is very desperate to prove himself this season without any doubt, but this sounds like a cry to me.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/15/jose-Mourinho-says-liverpool-tottenham-and-manchester-city-have-something-to-prove-6781999/

I think you are reading too much into JM's head here.  And laughing at your own joke.

19 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Interestingly I just saw that we signed Kante a year ago today. Thought it was much earlier in the summer.

I suspect it was early spring - given the silence, lack of competing bids, the clear desire of Leicester not to let anyone else go and low price.  Just announced late.

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

I don't think we're that desperate tbh. We have three senior AM's at present (Hazard, Willian, Pedro), with Musonda in the ranks. Buying another senior AM would essentially make us less flexible when it comes to switching from 343 and make the position overcrowded. Unless this AM is more of a forward and is genuinely capable of playing upfront. 

With Hazard out, we're better off just utilising what we have and when it comes time to change we can move to 352 or another system that utilises two forwards instead. 

Oh I'd say we are.

At the moment, a 343 is a non-starter as we only have one option on the bench. It may have worked for a season like we had last season, but for a proper Chelsea season three isn't enough. We need four and all four would be, when fit, involved in the MDS. 

The 352 is still an option as both Pedro and Hazard can easily play in the front two, not to mention Willian and Pedro at WB. 

People forget that Moses can play am on either side. Move azpi to rwb and slot in rudiger or Christensen.

30 minutes ago, Lampen said:

People forget that Moses can play am on either side. Move azpi to rwb and slot in rudiger or Christensen.

Good to see this hasn't been lost on all. 

4 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Yes of course. 

Football is about winning titles. Full stop. 

Don't think so. There is the matter of enjoying watching games and while it's obviously disappointing for a club like ours to fail to win a PL, it's bound to happen and probably more often than not, but it's that that makes the times when we do win as enjoyable as they are. 

How enjoyable is it for Bayern or Celtic fans to win when they know that they're going to win a league before it's even started? The winning can't mean as much for them as it does for us, or our rivals in today's PL.

Competing hard and missing out, but nevertheless  finishing in the top 4 in the PL and therefore qualifying for the CL? That's OK. As I say, disappointing not to win, but that's bound to happen from time to time and it's good for the league that it does too.

Reports from Italy saying Belotti has agreed to join Milan. Looks like we weren't in for him.

So it's between Aubangyang and Morata now. Hoping we sign at least one if not both. We'd better get one of them, as I don't know any other top strikers available right now TBH. 

Football about winning titles? That's rubbish. I'd say it's about achieving what you're capable of as a football club. For big clubs like us, yes, they means competing for and winning major titles. 

For a club like Burnley, success is a mid-table finish in the PL and maybe a cup run.

The reason Moyes did such a good job at Everton was that he had almost no budget yet managed to make them a consistent top 6 side. For them, especially given where they were when he took over - always fighting relegation - that was success. 

If success is winning titles then pretty much all but two or three teams will have failed every season. It's arrogant and unrealistic and ridiculous in my view.

For Chelsea, success is winning titles. For other clubs, it's something completely different.

3 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Don't think so. There is the matter of enjoying watching games and while it's obviously disappointing for a club like ours to fail to win a PL, it's bound to happen and probably more often than not, but it's that that makes the times when we do win as enjoyable as they are. 

How enjoyable is it for Bayern or Celtic fans to win when they know that they're going to win a league before it's even started? The winning can't mean as much for them as it does for us, or our rivals in today's PL.

Competing hard and missing out, but nevertheless  finishing in the top 4 in the PL and therefore qualifying for the CL? That's OK. As I say, disappointing not to win, but that's bound to happen from time to time and it's good for the league that it does too.

Agree wholeheartedly. Part of the enjoyment is NOT knowing, at the start of each season, who the eventual winner will be. I wouldn't mind back-to-back titles from time to time, but if every season started with the almost near certainty of winning the title at the end of the season, like Celtic in Scotland or Bayern in Germany, then I'd probably give up watching. Maybe that's why I'd be more prepared than some others on here to see us introduce academy players at the cost of potential dropped points.

18 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Good to see this hasn't been lost on all. 

Not lost on me, just that he is not of the quality that I would want in an AM role that requires a lot of minutes. There is a reason most thought he was gone up until his transformation - except for those that wanted him as a 5th choice AM to bulk the squad up. Additionally, if we apply such logic to the whole squad is there much point in getting a RWB as Dave can cover that as well as CB?

4 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Agree wholeheartedly. Part of the enjoyment is NOT knowing, at the start of each season, who the eventual winner will be. I wouldn't mind back-to-back titles from time to time, but if every season started with the almost near certainty of winning the title at the end of the season, like Celtic in Scotland or Bayern in Germany, then I'd probably give up watching. Maybe that's why I'd be more prepared than some others on here to see us introduce academy players at the cost of potential dropped points.

Me too Bob. And winning frequently, but not all the time, is yet another example of the old adage "less is more" for me.