Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,414 posts in this topic

Just now, BlueFizz said:

I am reassured that we're in good company then - United, City, Arsenal all on PS tours and all likely to do more business.

Could you list three 'efficient' clubs to match the three 'inefficient' ones I've listed here?

Bayern normally get all their business done realitively early. Milan have already got most of their business done. Juve tend to get their business done relatively early.

Its the penny pinching last minute panic which seems to surround our whole attitude to transfers.

10 years ago we just got deals done quickly. We paid the money, we got the player. And United and Madrid had money then as well. 

Now every single transfer is a saga. And last year we ended up waiting till deadline day to get players who weren't our first choice. They turned out well, but we can't do that every summer. 

1 minute ago, Ham said:

Two things James;

1)  Much as I love Conte, and I do, if he is that hot-headed that he would blame the club for not getting a player who wants to stay in Italy for personal reasons then you make him seen a very unreasonable man.

2)  Please please please check the spelling of Aubameyang. It's becoming annoying. 

I wonder if Hugh Jars will call you "pathetic" for pointing that out?

1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

I wonder if Hugh Jars will call you "pathetic" for pointing that out?

Probably. 

1 minute ago, James Prescott said:

Bayern normally get all their business done realitively early. Milan have already got most of their business done. Juve tend to get their business done relatively early.

Its the penny pinching last minute panic which seems to surround our whole attitude to transfers.

10 years ago we just got deals done quickly. We paid the money, we got the player. And United and Madrid had money then as well. 

Now every single transfer is a saga. And last year we ended up waiting till deadline day to get players who weren't our first choice. They turned out well, but we can't do that every summer. 

None of them are our rivals in the Premier League, though!

Regarding Bayern, they do their deals quickly because they've already cherry-picked and "tapped up" their rivals' best players by December!

39 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Breaking that Van Ginkel is back to PSV on loan and Remy is off this summer. 

They MUST have plans well advanced to replace them if this is the case. Our two weakest areas right now.

One theory I've heard with Milan which is worrying - they've signed Kessie, Bonucci, Roridguez and possibly now Belotti. All of whom we were strongly linked with and Conte is said to like as players. They argument goes they are building a team for Conte and want him as their manager at some point in the future. 

Of course, it's only a theory and highly unlikely (and I don't believe it myself) but the fact is there is a long-term contract on the table for Conte here which he has STILL not signed, despite being back at Cobham for over a week with plenty of opportunity to sign it (and all the sceptic here said he would sign it when pre-season began, which he hasn't). He's clearly waiting to see how we do in the transfer market, what squad he has, before committing. 

We've made a good start but we need a lot more signings, and good ones at that.

Dortmund just said they won't be negotiating for Aubangyang for much longer. We can't wait till Costa sorts his future to sign a replacement, we need a new striker like yesterday. If we delay we could lose a potential signing. 

James who's Aubangyang? Is he good?

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

Two things James;

1)  Much as I love Conte, and I do, if he is that hot-headed that he would blame the club for not getting a player who wants to stay in Italy for personal reasons then you make him seen a very unreasonable man.

2)  Please please please check the spelling of Aubameyang. It's becoming annoying. 

1) Conte won't walk because of Bonucci. Never said he would.

He left the club he loves the most on the verge of pre-season because he wasn't backed in the transfer market. You think he'll care a jot about walking out on us if he's not backed?

Until he signs that deal there is no guarantee at all he is staying. 

2) Oh ffs. It's not the easiest name to spell, especially on a phone keyboard. It's not like his name is John Smith. 

Auba is much easier. I'll use that. 

2 minutes ago, Kezza said:

James who's Aubangyang? Is he good?

He bangs in the goals I think. 

Sorry about the mis-spelling. It's not exactly the simplest name to spell. 

Aubameyang. OK? Or just Auba for short. 

:)

The rate at which we are letting players leave (Ginkel, Remy) is doing my tits in. Not too long now before we see Baker, Christensen, Zouma, Omeruo LOANED out.

2 minutes ago, Kezza said:

The rate at which we are letting players leave (Ginkel, Remy) is doing my tits in. Not too long now before we see Baker, Christensen, Zouma, Omeruo LOANED out.

Christensen is staying. That's why Zouma is being loaned out.

I damn well hope we've got players lined up to come in. With more fixtures this season we need a deeper squad, not a thinner one.

Our board. Honestly.

3 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Some fair points - but I have to say that I think our uninformed anxiety as fans, clouds our judgement. 

We've read rumours about Bakayoko for a while, read rumours he might go elsewhere etc - I think we overweight the validity of these rumours.

An alternative sequence of events is feasible -

1. We contacted Monaco about Bko some time ago

2. They confirmed a willingness to sell in a price range we felt reasonable

3. The player went on hols and was injured so no medical can be done for a while

4. Monaco, Chelsea, Player and agent agree to reconvene at later dates

5. It takes time for clubs to negotiate the fee and the payment structure

6. It takes time for agent/player and chelsea to agree terms too

7. Player achieves fitness level needed to take medical - does so and passes

8. Clubs finalise details

9. Player and chelsea do the same

10. Contracts are shared with legal reps, signed and approved.

And all of this happened at a pace agreed by all involved, the schedule determined by logic and circumstances (holidays, fitness, clubs busy doing other deals etc) not by panic or press rumours.

I think this possible; not sure you do.