• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

DLU   

At Porto yes, he was explosive. But since his move to Inter, Inter fans have been very disappointed. Erratic seems to sum him up, AKA Ramires.

While we are at comparing him to Ramires, can Guarin pass the ball??

Edited by DLU

Andyn   

Of course Mourinho can say no to any player who asks to leave. But why would he want to? Why would he want someone who doesn't want to be here, to fight for their place? Why would anyone here want us to keep hold of a player who wasn't willing to fight?

I don't care how good Lukaku may or may not be. If he asked to leave*, he's no good to us.

*Edit: Not that he's not not within his rights to ask to leave- I probably would have, but not because Eto'o arrived. Seems a massive red herring to me.

I perfectly understand why you feel like that , I just think the right thing to do would have been to put his arm round lakaku tell him how good he is and play him . If your good enough your old enough . Its a bit late for jose to be saying that basically his strikers dont know where the net is . Most fans could have told him that before the start of the season and without the benefit of hindsight. Probably in the minority but thats the way I saw it then and now.

Added to that if we put players on loan and they do the business , in the premier league in his case what signal does it send to the others on loan . Why bother loaning players out forty odd I believe , be lucky if one comes back and gets a regular berth. Save the money and dont bother?

Zoowraa   

So can anyone tell us more about Guarin? What type of player is he?

Gurj describes him fairly well, though not sure I would completly agree with Essien comparison. For me, he was Inters best player by a mile last season, I can't comment on this season as I no longer have ESPN when it became a part of BT Sport package, so simply not seen him this season.

Last season Inter were awful, but he was the one shining light. However, he can frustrate, but I would say he frustrates for the right reasons, in that he is trying to make things happen.

Quite skillful and direct from central areas, he can skip past players and does like to shoot from distance, sometimes a bit too often and from long distance. I would say for a midfielder, he can do everything but I would rate him as a better attacking midfielder than defensive. I would worry how him and Ramires would compliment each other if both in a pivot.

I am trying to think of a player in England to compare him too and I am struggling a little bit, the nearest I can think of is maybe a more physical,direct and quicker version of Tomas Rosicky at Arsenal.

For me a 433 would suit us better with this type of player. Mikel holding with Ramires and Guarin either side does look a very good prospect on paper.

At Porto yes, he was explosive. But since his move to Inter, Inter fans have been very disappointed. Erratic seems to sum him up, AKA Ramires.

I think he's been one of Inter's best players. I can, however, see how the fans may have been disappointed as he's been erratic, primarily because he's been pushed up as an attacking midfielder. He's not the technical, silky type to play that role, and maybe Italy isn't the best place for him to display his best attributes, which are his explosiveness and physicality.

I see him being more of an alternative to Ramires than a partner, which is a good thing as the latter is pretty much indispensable at the moment and will need a break at some point.

If Guarin fits in and settles into the league he could be quite an addition to the squad.

Flinkers   

I thought it was the other way around?

He arrived in Europe with a good reputation from Colombia, played intermittently at St Etienne before transferring to Porto. Never really did it there (good patches and bad) hence the loan to Inter where he finally started adding consistency to his performances.

Not sure what to think of the transfer - we need better options than we have but IMO there are better players out there for the same money.

Gurj describes him fairly well, though not sure I would completly agree with Essien comparison. For me, he was Inters best player by a mile last season, I can't comment on this season as I no longer have ESPN when it became a part of BT Sport package, so simply not seen him this season.

Last season Inter were awful, but he was the one shining light. However, he can frustrate, but I would say he frustrates for the right reasons, in that he is trying to make things happen.

Quite skillful and direct from central areas, he can skip past players and does like to shoot from distance, sometimes a bit too often and from long distance. I would say for a midfielder, he can do everything but I would rate him as a better attacking midfielder than defensive. I would worry how him and Ramires would compliment each other if both in a pivot.

I am trying to think of a player in England to compare him too and I am struggling a little bit, the nearest I can think of is maybe a more physical,direct and quicker version of Tomas Rosicky at Arsenal.

For me a 433 would suit us better with this type of player. Mikel holding with Ramires and Guarin either side does look a very good prospect on paper.

Remnds me a bit of Duncan Fletcher at United.

Edited by Flinkers

DLU   

Cheers!

How is his passing? Do you think he will play together with Ramires in the pivot? Or is he rather a replacement?

Scooba   

Cheers!

How is his passing? Do you think he will play together with Ramires in the pivot? Or is he rather a replacement?

He's certainly no Modric or Busquets. Technically he's very limited, probably quite similar to Ramires in that sense, particularly with regards to passing. He can play some nice long balls though, but I think we are buying him for his physicality and power. He's definitely not the answer to our deep-lying playmaker problem.

DLU   

To be fair, we have enough technically gifted players. Someone physical is not a bad idea and may be a way for us to be more dominant in the midfield.

He's certainly no Modric or Busquets. Technically he's very limited, probably quite similar to Ramires,particularly with regards to passing. He can play some nice long balls though, but I think we are buying him for his physicality and power. He's definitely not the answer to our deep-lying playmaker problem.

Do we actually have a 'deep lying playmaker problem' though? I hate that term and don't actually think it exists outside the world of football manager.. We as far to my knowledge have never had one and have done all right up until now.

What we really need is someone that is big, strong and good on the ball, being able to pass the ball forward quickly and accurately. Ramires will not be replaced, he is irreplaceable, if we continue to play with a pivot it's always going to be ramires +1, whoever we may or may not buy.

Who do people think would make us better out of someone like Toure or a 'deep lying playmaker' such as Modric? I know which one I would choose all day long.

A lot of our problem is that we already have too many play makers, to add another one is the last thing we need, we need strength, physicality, speed with the ability to move the ball on quickly.