Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,081 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed that whenever Jim White reports on a rumour he says "Sky Sports understands that" except for when he's talking about Everton when he says "I understand that".

Nothing more than a spokesman. 

42 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Matt Law saying Chelsea "won't be rushed' into buying a striker.

Hmm...

So, having systematically linked us to every striker they can think off - and us having the audacity not to confirm which one(s) we're after - the media switch to phase 2.

'We won't be hurried' - decoded it means 'we can't suss out who Chelsea want'.

Later 'Chelsea know who they really want to sign' - what a scoop! I knew that all along.

Finally, and more seriously, would you please ease up on the negative accusations you constantly toss at Club/Board.

I happen to support Chelsea Football 'Club' and don't feel that some of what you say is appropriate for a 'fans' forum.

You often express concern with your treatment here; well spare a thought for how demoralising/wearing your constant leaping to insults on the basis of hearsay and conjecture and assumptions is.

Thanks if you can moderate it a tad.

This "Premier League striker" we're after.

I think it's Sanchez.

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

This "Premier League striker" we're after.

I think it's Sanchez.

I think it's a smoke screen leaked by the club (Aguero) to stop the Aubamayeng price going mental.

Edited by synavm

40 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

So would you be happy with Jermaine Defoe ?

Great counter argument FFS!

34 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I always thought him to be horribly lazy , he has talent but just cannot be arsed to use it if it means he has to sweat a bit.

Yeah there is a bit of that in him I admit. I just feel the right manager could get more out of him and I reckon Conte could get a tune out of him. He was unlucky with the way things went at Liverpool with BR buying him then getting chopped, it was clear early on that Klopp didn't fancy him, but he don't seem to really fancy any genuine No9 for what he wants.

I wouldn't advocate paying more than paying £35-£40 million for him. I know some will think that's overpaying but precedent is set with him due to what Palace and Liverpool have paid in recent times.

I think we could do a lot worse.

7 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

Great counter argument FFS!

Yeah there is a bit of that in him I admit. I just feel the right manager could get more out of him and I reckon Conte could get a tune out of him. He was unlucky with the way things went at Liverpool with BR buying him then getting chopped, it was clear early on that Klopp didn't fancy him, but he don't seem to really fancy any genuine No9 for what he wants.

I wouldn't advocate paying more than paying £35-£40 million for him. I know some will think that's overpaying but precedent is set with him due to what Palace and Liverpool have paid in recent times.

I think we could do a lot worse.

In their time in the Prem, he's outscored Lukaku in headed goals... it's been a while since we had a proper aerial threat in the box, other than from centre backs at set pieces.

43 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

Hmm...

So, having systematically linked us to every striker they can think off - and us having the audacity not to confirm which one(s) we're after - the media switch to phase 2.

'We won't be hurried' - decoded it means 'we can't suss out who Chelsea want'.

Later 'Chelsea know who they really want to sign' - what a scoop! I knew that all along.

Finally, and more seriously, would you please ease up on the negative accusations you constantly toss at Club/Board.

I happen to support Chelsea Football 'Club' and don't feel that some of what you say is appropriate for a 'fans' forum.

You often express concern with your treatment here; well spare a thought for how demoralising/wearing your constant leaping to insults on the basis of hearsay and conjecture and assumptions is.

Thanks if you can moderate it a tad.

I could not put that any better Bf.

19 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

In their time in the Prem, he's outscored Lukaku in headed goals... it's been a while since we had a proper aerial threat in the box, other than from centre backs at set pieces.

I didn't realise that. He is a better all round player than Lukaku, I have little doubt about that. He does not have his pace and desire to score as many goals as Lukaku, but I think he would fit with how we play better. I think Lukaku could have adapted , but would have had to keep improving and progress. Beneteke is the more rounded of the two for me.

Edited by Zoowraa

My guess is that we have our eyes on some ambitious and hard achieved target like say Aguero and have a less impressive player as plan B, someone like Benteke.

But that's only the striker, surely we need a wingback and a central midfielder as well? 

Exciting times.

Last season Conte performed a miracle, winning the title with 13 players. Having said that we were very lucky with injuries and we didn't have Europe to contend with. We also had 8 squad players who were seldom used: our 2 back-up keepers, Terry, Zouma and Ake, Chalobah, RLC and Batshuayi. Incredibly all these squad players (apart from Eduardo) will be gone this season, which tells you a lot.

So, the 13 main men, with Bakayoko replacing Matic and somebody replacing Costa. We will surely bring in players to replace Chalobah and Batshuayi, and we've brought in 2 CBs who Conte feels he can play. If you add our 2 back-up keepers that gives you a squad of 19, which is painfully small. Of course we all suspect 2 WBs will be brought in, taking the squad up to 21, which is the same size as last season. Crucially, these will be 21 players Conte believes in, as opposed to only 13 last season, important seeing as we will play more matches.

People need to chill out about the strikers. Conte will bring in strikers he is happy with.

If we assume those 2 strikers are foreign, our 2 new WBs are foreign and Chalobah's replacement is foreign, that's our full quota of foreigners permitted, so if we're looking to bring in another attacking midfielder to take RLC's place in the squad, he will have to be homegrown. Crucially of course Moses can play further up the park if needs must (as can Fab and possibly one or both of the new WBs that are brought in), so Conte might think he's okay to go with 21, which is small but there's always the January transfer window, in which I assume players can also be recalled from loan if we need them.

I'm quite comfortable with the way things are shaping up although it's crucial we replace Chalobah in the squad and ideally I'd like another attacking midfielder (particularly as Hazard is out for the start) and maybe a 3rd CF too (although I find this unlikely). This season we might not get so lucky with injuries. It's going to be a squad of 21 rising possibly to a maximum of 23, augmented maybe by 1 or 2 youngsters. 

EDIT: Kenedy and Musonda have squad numbers although I wouldn't read too much into that seeing as Zouma does too and he's likely to be loaned out.

Edited by Mr Marvellous