• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

DLU   

Do we actually have a 'deep lying playmaker problem' though? I hate that term and don't actually think it exists outside the world of football manager.. We as far to my knowledge have never had one and have done all right up until now.

What we really need is someone that is big, strong and good on the ball, being able to pass the ball forward quickly and accurately. Ramires will not be replaced, he is irreplaceable, if we continue to play with a pivot it's always going to be ramires +1, whoever we may or may not buy.

Who do people think would make us better out of someone like Toure or a 'deep lying playmaker' such as Modric? I know which one I would choose all day long.

A lot of our problem is that we already have too many play makers, to add another one is the last thing we need, we need strength, physicality, speed with the ability to move the ball on quickly.

Well said!

I think this signing if made has Jose fingerprints all over it. In his prime, real physical player, I really like the idea. Certainly not an Emanalo type signing. Will certainly enable us to compete better physically in tough away games like Newcastle, Stoke and of course City. This is the type of player I, like many, were sceaming for all summer and I believe Jose would have to its just taken until now for a realistic player to become availabe. There are no essiens or toures available to buy so go and get the next best thing. Long term he will most likely be a very good squad player and he will massively help us out this season. Its obvious Lampard can't play every game and Mikel and Essien are not being trusted with a regular place in the team. I see this signing a lot like when City signed De Jong. Maybe not similar players but both signed in Jan, in their prime, much needed power and grit in midfield and perhaps underwhelming on the face of it but proved to be a very good player. City never really seemed to rate De Jong as much as I did and until they signed fernandinho used Barry and Javi Garcia to replace him. I think Guarin might just be a very good signing.

mokilove   

Gazzetto dello sport and guardian reporting that a deal has been reached with Guarin. Around £15m. He will be eligible for champs league I think? Good signing if true, our weakest area and not exactly a huge fee.

That would be great!

Zoowraa   

When discussing a players attributes, a lot come down to interpretations and opinions. Personally, I would not consider or use the term physical to describe Guarin. He has pace and power, but I would say in a more athlectic sense than a physical sense.

If some people know little about him, I would not be expecting an Essien, Ballack,Petit level of physicality because personally I just dont see that in his game.

I would describe his passing and technical ability as far better than Ramires, but again I would not call him a creative passer.

I think he is too good a player to just be second fiddle to Ramires, he has a much better all round game imo. But I dont see him replacing Ramires either, I think it will be a case of the two playing together in a 3 or in a pivot 2 (I am not so keen on this as I dont think it will suit that well)

Flinkers   

When discussing a players attributes, a lot come down to interpretations and opinions. Personally, I would not consider or use the term physical to describe Guarin. He has pace and power, but I would say in a more athlectic sense than a physical sense.

If some people know little about him, I would not be expecting an Essien, Ballack,Petit level of physicality because personally I just dont see that in his game.

I would describe his passing and technical ability as far better than Ramires, but again I would not call him a creative passer.

I think he is too good a player to just be second fiddle to Ramires, he has a much better all round game imo. But I dont see him replacing Ramires either, I think it will be a case of the two playing together in a 3 or in a pivot 2 (I am not so keen on this as I dont think it will suit that well)

If we were to use Guarin and Ramires together to provide stability in central midfield, then rely on our attacking midfielders for creativity, it might work.

I think the three AMs would have to play a little more structured than they do currently though.

life   

For those struggling guarin is just a ramires type of player, the PL will suit him much better than any other league so he will pleasantly surprise people, a bit like schurrle has

-He is good at forward burst just like ramires

-he is very skillful, and I mean very skillful when dribbling with the ball, almost like a winger, he is skillful enough to be played behind the striker at inter, he plays there a lot. Meaning he is versatile like ramires, chelsea type of player

- he is more composed than ramires when passing

- ramires can run all game and not be tired, guarin hasn't got that attribute though,infact no one in football has it, its ramires's speciality

-ramires is faster and tenacious

-guarin is physicaly stonger

I don't actually know whether he will fight for the same position with ramires or will play along side him a bit more...I guess we will see.

Zoowraa   

If we were to use Guarin and Ramires together to provide stability in central midfield, then rely on our attacking midfielders for creativity, it might work.

I think the three AMs would have to play a little more structured than they do currently though.

Its a tricky one. I think in a pivot , you ideally want both Ramires and Guarin to have freedom to break forward as it plays to both their strengths. I would have my doubts about it as a pairing, I think they would get dominated and we would be very susceptible to teams who counter attack quick.

But Mikel or an upgrade version sat in there with them, I think looks a very tasty prospect. We would have pace and creativity out wide of the forward, we would counter from deep at real speed with either Guarin or Ramires, neither of them would have to worry too much about protecting the back four for large spells of the game. Guarin could sit higher up during spells of matches as more of a No 10 and let his pace create trouble in more dangerous areas of the pitch.

It looks a real nice balance using Mikel, Ramires, Guarin as a three to me. Ramires and Guarin in this type of role would win a lot of penalties from deep runs.

I honestly feel that Guarin would be a step in the wrong direction, and £15m is not exactly small money for a player who is 28 in 6 months.

Our previous stop-gap signings for midfield under Mourinho were Sidwell, Maniche, Jarosik, Smertin and Parker, all of which were much cheaper than the price of Guarin (except perhaps Parker) and were simply squad players who did ultimately get quite a lot of game time which would ultimately better spent on blooding our potential stars. Not to mention none went onto be solid starters for our club.

At present we have Ramires, Mikel, Lampard and Essien for two positions, with Van Ginkel coming back from injury in a few months, with De Bruyne as a young alternative to Lamps. My point is we should either spend exceedingly more for a true world class midfielder or save for the summer and actually use our existing players.

De Bruyne was a very competent midfielder in Germany and still is an outstanding prospect, if Mourinho does not invest in him then I feel we'd be wasting some excellent talent. I do believe Mourinho is brilliant and unrivaled overall as a coach but thinking back, he started Tiago in 2004 and yet De Bruyne doesn't even see the bench, I just can't reconcile that except that Tiago was more of a defensive player that played more of a simple role. Mourinho did say he would look to play him more earlier this month, perhaps De Bruyne will get a fair go during the Xmas period.

Edited by Hulk Smash

DLU   

I know it's just Youtube (what else could I refer to right now though..), but I like what I see. It looks like a good deal, esp for 15m.

Its a tricky one. I think in a pivot , you ideally want both Ramires and Guarin to have freedom to break forward as it plays to both their strengths. I would have my doubts about it as a pairing, I think they would get dominated and we would be very susceptible to teams who counter attack quick.

But Mikel or an upgrade version sat in there with them, I think looks a very tasty prospect. We would have pace and creativity out wide of the forward, we would counter from deep at real speed with either Guarin or Ramires, neither of them would have to worry too much about protecting the back four for large spells of the game. Guarin could sit higher up during spells of matches as more of a No 10 and let his pace create trouble in more dangerous areas of the pitch.

It looks a real nice balance using Mikel, Ramires, Guarin as a three to me. Ramires and Guarin in this type of role would win a lot of penalties from deep runs.

The awful truth - I wouldn't waste a spot on Mikel on a permanent basis, because it would mean benching one of Oscar, Hazard, Willian and Mikel isn't worth that. We should just play Ramires and Guarin for a start and see how it works.