Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,081 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Mr Marvellous said:

Last season Conte performed a miracle, winning the title with 13 players. Having said that we were very lucky with injuries and we didn't have Europe to contend with. We also had 8 squad players who were seldom used: our 2 back-up keepers, Terry, Zouma and Ake, Chalobah, RLC and Batshuayi. Incredibly all these squad players (apart from Eduardo) will be gone this season, which tells you a lot.

So, the 13 main men, with Bakayoko replacing Matic and somebody replacing Costa. We will surely bring in players to replace Chalobah and Batshuayi, and we've brought in 2 CBs who Conte feels he can play. If you add our 2 back-up keepers that gives you a squad of 19, which is painfully small. Of course we all suspect 2 WBs will be brought in, taking the squad up to 21, which is the same size as last season. Crucially, these will be 21 players Conte believes in, as opposed to only 13 last season, important seeing as we will play more matches.

People need to chill out about the strikers. Conte will bring in strikers he is happy with.

If we assume those 2 strikers are foreign, our 2 new WBs are foreign and Chalobah's replacement is foreign, that's our full quota of foreigners permitted, so if we're looking to bring in another attacking midfielder to take RLC's place in the squad, he will have to be homegrown. Crucially of course Moses can play further up the park if needs must (as can Fab and possibly one or both of the new WBs that are brought in), so Conte might think he's okay to go with 21, which is small but there's always the January transfer window, in which I assume players can also be recalled from loan if we need them.

I'm quite comfortable with the way things are shaping up although it's crucial we replace Chalobah in the squad and ideally I'd like another attacking midfielder (particularly as Hazard is out for the start) and maybe a 3rd CF too (although I find this unlikely). This season we might not get so lucky with injuries. It's going to be a squad of 21 rising possibly to a maximum of 23, augmented maybe by 1 or 2 youngsters. 

Excellent post. 

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

Excellent post. 

Although what makes you think that Batshuayi will leave? I make it that him and Eduardo will be the only players from last year's squad fillers.

Ryan Bertrand makes a lot of sense for the squad right now considering he is attainable, club trained and in a position where we need another useable body. Paying 60m+ for Sandro only makes sense to me if we plan to play him further forward while hazard is out and I don't see that happening.

13 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Sky, who are pretty reliable, said yesterday we have four striking targets. Aubameyang is the main one, with Morata, Belotti and "an unnamed Premier League striker" (to directly quote Sky). Coincidentally, the same day a reliable Spanish reporter says we want Aguero and Pep has already sanctioned it.  Who else would it be? No way would it be Kane, and he's the only other Prem striker of sufficient class who's available. 

So I'd say we're in for Auba and/or Aguero. Auba would be favourite for me right now though.

Jeepers James quit following the yellow brick road.

44 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Ryan Bertrand makes a lot of sense for the squad right now considering he is attainable, club trained and in a position where we need another useable body. Paying 60m+ for Sandro only makes sense to me if we plan to play him further forward while hazard is out and I don't see that happening.

I have to say that the prospect of paying 60+ mill for Sandro never made any sense to me. Way over-priced, imo. Yes, have to agree that Bertrand would be the sensible (and cheaper) option. Then add Danilo on the other side, and surely we have our wingback options sorted (and change in the pocket!)? That just leaves (imo) a striker, and an AM to get across the line (Belotti and Traore would be nice.......:)).

28 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I have to say that the prospect of paying 60+ mill for Sandro never made any sense to me. Way over-priced, imo. Yes, have to agree that Bertrand would be the sensible (and cheaper) option. Then add Danilo on the other side, and surely we have our wingback options sorted (and change in the pocket!)? That just leaves (imo) a striker, and an AM to get across the line.

You're forgetting a central midfielder, which is absolutely crucial, right now we have 3, and neither Dave or Luiz are midfielders, by any stretch.

Bertrand makes no sense at all, apart from the fact he's homegrown. He is not an upgrade on Alonso. Paying £60m for a world class WB makes perfect sense, as it's possibly the most crucial position in a 343. If you get somebody in who's a significant upgrade in a crucial position for 60m, in today's market you do it.

EDIT: Would Bertrand even want to come, knowing he might not be first choice? One thing's for certain, he'll DEFINITELY be overpriced.

Edited by Mr Marvellous

Conte doesn't want to be going into next season with the same XI, more or less. He wants upgrades. Right now the only player we've brought in who's coming into the side is Bakayoko, and he might not be fit for the start. Conte wants to freshen this side up with better players, that's why he's going after Sandro. Shame it doesn't look like happening.

Bats and Bakayoko are messing with Mendy at Monaco on Twitter.  Lots of cryptic messages. Could we be making a late move? 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Excellent post. 

Thank you very much Ham.

11 minutes ago, Mr Marvellous said:

You're forgetting a central midfielder, which is absolutely crucial, right now we have 3, and neither Dave or Luiz are midfielders, by any stretch.

Bertrand makes no sense at all, apart from the fact he's homegrown. He is not an upgrade on Alonso. Paying £60m for a world class WB makes perfect sense, as it's possibly the most crucial position in a 343. If you get somebody in who's a significant upgrade in a crucial position for 60m, in today's market you do it.

If the only players which are an upgrade in the wb position cost 60mil that suggests the one you have is pretty damn good. We need some HG players in the squad, IMO Bertrand would add another fantastic option at half the cost and that money would be better spent elsewhere. Get the feeling Sandro isn't achievable anyway, if we are going non HG route then that Telles chaps stats are similar to Sandro and he has a release clause we could activate. Alternatively we need to go big on a0top quality U21 option at one of the positions to add depth. Perhaps Dembele (only 20yo) of Celtic is our striker target I remember quotes from Brenda that any outgoings will be after they qualify for champs league And that game is tomorrow I believe.