• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

GURJ SS   
5 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

I'm fully aware of what Rudiger brings and how his game is tailored having watched him during his time at Roma. His height and physicality is something we'll benefit from from greatly in comparison to Azpi. Not sure people quite realise the difference it actually makes as a CB having that added size, Sure, Azpi is a better one-on-one defender given he's played fullback essentially his entire career, however we really did struggle as a team with balls into the box - be it from open play or set pieces. Rudiger will hopefully help nullify this further. Outside of those two main areas they're not all too dissimilar in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure Azpi will play CB still, but this now frees us up to play him at RWB if Conte feels he's better served. I mean, his one-on-one defending in that position is world class so he'd be an instant improvement in that aspect over Moses.

Not disagreeing that Moses has been excellent and is suited to RWB. Azpi would now provide another option, whether he becomes first choice or not there remains to be seen, that's entirely up to Conte and I'm sure will be dependent on who else me may or may not sign.

A little rich stating we should worry about our other CB's when it comes to dealing with threats in the air, given that Azpi was the one directly out muscled, beaten and responsible for conceding goals in such circumstances on more than just the one occasion. When it comes to that particular area, he is the weakest link. Unsurprising and all given he's like 5'10" and a fullback by trade. 

If it's that easy, we could have replaced Azpi with anyone taller than him, why spend money; just get anyone. Seeing as you've watched Rudiger, you'll also know that he can be a liability; bringing him into a backline system that protects another player that can be a liability is far too risky - better off replacing Luiz with him before replacing Azpi.

Azpi has provided that option last season, he switched to RWB when we were defending a lead, he just doesn't suit the RWB in an attacking sense; unless what you're saying is that Rudiger will only play the last 10mins of a game we are winning.

Not rich at all, it's a team game. We saw Kante and Cesc switch positions when they lined up alongside each other for tactical reasons, something Matic couldn't do because of him having 2 left feet. If a big striker went on Azpi, Cahill or Luiz could take charge of the situation, but they won't. Watch how Pique does it for Mascherano. It's not a difficult thing to do, unless the closest person to Azpi to switch with can be a liability in a wider position(not insulting Luiz - thought he was great, just highlighting potentially a much bigger issue than just height).

GURJ SS   
33 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

•  Going to put his failed clearance with his chest against Leicester City here because that was awful defending period.
  • He was outmuscled by Crouch who received a long ball upfield, was able to control it and lay the ball off. Azpi then failed to stick to his marker and the result was Crouch eventually scoring inside the box, albeit with a failed last ditch effort by Azpi to block.
  • Was caught under the ball (misread it from the start as he took a step or two towards the middle before having to go back) from a Man Utd cross, in which Ibrahimovic towered over him for essentially an unchallenged header that was put over the bar.
  • Caught completely in no mans land between two defenders, allowed Ali to ghost in unmarked for a header from Eriksons cross. 
  • Failed to mark his man to start with and was subsequently caught out from a cross aimed towards the back post resulting in Ali scoring a second header.
  • Cross was chipped in by Liverpool and left Azpi caught between two players and marking no one. This allowed Liverpool an overlap at the back post. Cross made it out wide (as Moses was also tucked inside marking the man Azpi should have been) to the free man out there who put the ball back in and resulted with a Liverpool headed goal.
  • Ball was crossed over him for a headed goal in our 3-1 win vs Arsenal. Taller defender could have potentially have cut that ball out, or got something on it at a minimum. Harsh, but also why being undersized can be an issue when set up in a system that will be asked to defend a high volume of crosses.
  • Outmuscled by Benteke who held Azpi off after receiving ball at feet, was able to shift it a yard inside and get a shot off that found the back of the net.
  • Caught out (along with Luiz) by that quality cross from Erikson in the FA Cup that Ali scored from. Will chalk this more down as a suburb ball than poor defending.
  • Failed to clear the ball from a Southampton cross (as the first man), which he instead ended up flicking on with a header and concluded with Southampton scoring.

None of these are because of his height, and I've seen crosses go over Luiz and Cahill, that doesn't mean we now need 6'7 defenders. Crouch, Benteke and Ibra? Seriously? They out muscle all their markers. You've even picked one moment where he is caught between 2 opposition players, that shows someone else wasn't doing their job, so he switched to zonal; which most defenders would do, in the hope they get lucky. Can we have a list for Luiz and Cahill? Because there's is probably just as long if not longer, especially Cahill 1v1.

Heard the rumour? £60million for a 29 year old Aguero? IF its a goer, should we go for it?

xCELERYx   
56 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

If it's that easy, we could have replaced Azpi with anyone taller than him, why spend money; just get anyone. Seeing as you've watched Rudiger, you'll also know that he can be a liability; bringing him into a backline system that protects another player that can be a liability is far too risky - better off replacing Luiz with him before replacing Azpi.

Azpi has provided that option last season, he switched to RWB when we were defending a lead, he just doesn't suit the RWB in an attacking sense; unless what you're saying is that Rudiger will only play the last 10mins of a game we are winning.

Not rich at all, it's a team game. We saw Kante and Cesc switch positions when they lined up alongside each other for tactical reasons, something Matic couldn't do because of him having 2 left feet. If a big striker went on Azpi, Cahill or Luiz could take charge of the situation, but they won't. Watch how Pique does it for Mascherano. It's not a difficult thing to do, unless the closest person to Azpi to switch with can be a liability in a wider position(not insulting Luiz - thought he was great, just highlighting potentially a much bigger issue than just height).

If you say so, not going to bother getting into this whole discussion once more. I've expressed my point. A point that was made long before this season had even started. I'm content with what I explained then in reference to Conte's system and the style of players that make it so successful. No skin off my back if people choose to disagree or simply fail to see the bigger picture to it all. :)

48 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

None of these are because of his height, and I've seen crosses go over Luiz and Cahill, that doesn't mean we now need 6'7 defenders. Crouch, Benteke and Ibra? Seriously? They out muscle all their markers. You've even picked one moment where he is caught between 2 opposition players, that shows someone else wasn't doing their job, so he switched to zonal; which most defenders would do, in the hope they get lucky. Can we have a list for Luiz and Cahill? Because there's is probably just as long if not longer, especially Cahill 1v1.

You're right. I've made it all. Fabricated the entirety of it. You got me. Case closed.

On the subject of Rudiger, I would be pleasantly surprised if he makes it to anything other than a squad player position. I say this as whilst he does have some top qualities, these moments are overshadowed by how much of a liability he can be with giving the ball away. Now this may be something that can be ironed out of his game and if so great, however at 24 you would have hoped this may have happened more or unless by now. For me, he is currently behind all of the 'first team' CB's. 

Edited by Conte Kante

Reports in the media today that Palace are going to play hardball over Benteke and Chelsea may have to break their transfer record with a +£60 million bid for the versatile striker.

Should Chelsea go for Benteke if a bid of £75 million will surely seal the deal?

1 minute ago, Gormangorman said:

Reports in the media today that Palace are going to play hardball over Benteke and Chelsea may have to break their transfer record with a +£60 million bid for the versatile striker.

Should Chelsea go for Benteke if a bid of £75 million will surely seal the deal?

£75 million for Benteke ? Bargain. 

Only £74.5 million more than he's worth.

Aguero @ £60m - no

Benteke @ £60m - no

Benteke, FFS. Ridiculous if there is any sort of truth to our interest in him. Champions of England root and scrabbling about for dregs.

21 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

A few photos (how legit, I don't know) that show Zouma in a Stoke training kit. Could hint that a deal has been done for him to join on loan. 

Yup, he's gone. Makes sense, lets hope he gets the playing time he needs.

19 hours ago, DannyLB said:

I think the Higuain and Aguero links are a smokescreen. Can't make it obvious to any club (like Dortmund) that we lack options. We need to maintain leverage.

Yeah, could be. The net has certainly been spread far and wide. 

19 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

If you were Pep Guardiola , hurting from being found out last season, a quick and easy way to disrupt our season is to sell us Aguero.

Aguero? Yep , no problem.

Just a couple of things to iron out .

Nearly there.

Just a few more tiny things

Almost

Just this last thing 

Ooh so nearly there.

C'mon you're so close 

Nearly

Almost

Just about......

Oh no ! Out of time , maybe in January.

I really hope we do this to Man U in regards to Matic.

18 hours ago, Ham said:

Surely we are only looking at Aubameyang.  A prolific striker in the form of his life who is available for a relatively reasonable fee at a time when we require precisely that. 

Everything else is BS. 

You would think so, but I get the feeling that we're just not interested in him. Dortmund seem pretty happy to sell and I reckon a deal wouldn't be that difficult to complete. 

I think we'll wait to see who Milan land and take it from there. IMO, Morata's our preferred option. 

16 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

James

why do we want a chity reject. 

Also if aubameyang wants Italy let him go there. 

Want players who play for the shirt not a mercenaries who don't have anywhere else to go. 

Bit harsh. In that case, any new signing is a [insert former club] reject. 

15 hours ago, Rob B said:

This smacks of Chelsea leaking this purely as a message to selling clubs.

In other words, a negotiation ploy.

Definitely. It's also a message to the fans.

14 hours ago, Juni said:

See my previous posts about club mouthpieces in the media (a term I don't intend to use disingenuously as these guys deserve more respect than that, but it is what it is) being willing outlets to push the club's desired agenda. It's not just limited to Chelsea, it's nationwide, and it just means we have to work harder to read between the lines to work the truth out ourselves.

This.

14 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

This "Premier League striker" we're after.

I think it's Sanchez.

I wish. We really should throw an offer in there, if for no other reason than to start a fire.