• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Couldn't disagree more.

The value of Smertin, Tiago and Jarosik shouldn't be assessed in terms of their individual contributions but instead in terms of how their presence assisted the squad. None established themselves as regulars but all were there if needs be- even an unused option has value. A title winning squad will invariably be resilient and will have been built based on worst case scenario planning- injuries, suspensions, change in management, other unforseeables. A resilient squad will always be one where a few players proved unnecessary in the end. That does not mean there wasn't immense value in bringing them in.

Ramires is a superhuman but he cannot maintain a good level of football if played for 180 minutes a week for the rest of the season. Many would suggest that has become clearer in recent weeks. Lampard, although super fit, cannot be expected to play to a high standard if used as often as in previous years. Mikel plays a completely different role, one Mourinho doesn't seem to want to use from kick off, and Essien is loveable but busted ... 1.5 meaningful games so far this season. Van Ginkel isn't even worth considering- right now he may as well be an U18.

De Bruyne seems to become a better player the less time he gets on the pitch. For me, he has a distinct Sturridge whiff to him- he's not playing so the only logical thing to assume is that he's either not producing where it matters or playing him isn't an option for reasons we're not clear on yet. I suspect now he's only a Chelsea player in the most technical sense.

There's plenty of space in our squad for another midfielder and, it being a squad, there's plenty of room for it to be a good player rather than a superstar. And a good 27 year old ... Well, that sounds ideal in a relatively young squad.

Hello my friend! We are at opposite ends again!

I do agree on the merits of the previous stop gap signings, but they were significantly cheaper than the quoted price for Guarin. We also didn't have an equivalent alternative like we do with De Bruyne.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about Essien, ridiculous backpass aside he's been decent for the most part and will get sharper with games. Van Ginkel I feel was earmarked to rotate often in our side, was talked up a lot by Mourinho prior to his injury.

De Bruyne needs a chance as did Sturridge ultimately.

I'm just not keen in going down the Janurary midfielder route, most of them don't benefit us past 2 seasons and I feel this purchase would be similar. Our existing players who can easily play a rotation role now, we need a top class midfielder, not another rotation squad type, and not at £15m.

I think that was more to nip all the transfer rumours in the bud, which hasn't seemed to work.

I doubt De Bruyne will see much if any meaningful game time this season.

Sorry for the snipped post.

Yeah, a lot of things point to his time being up, but I do hope Jose honours his comments, especially during the congested schedule during Xmas. The bloke should at least be given a chance to show his worth on the pitch.

Zoowraa   

Whilst I dont want to go all transfer crazy with names. I think someone like a De Rossi would suit Ramires perfectly for the pivot, but it does seem very difficult getting him out of Roma as it was Totti.

ANother player I would throw into the mix and he might be easier to get is Montolivo at Milan. Plays deeper and uses the ball well from deeper positions, but he is also tireless in his work and has legs to get around the pitch.

Whilst he is not as creative as say a Pirlo, I think he has some simliarities in his game but he has more legs than a Pirlo.

Whilst I like Guarin, I think £15 million would be enough to interest Milan and he could just be more suitable to what we need.

Edited by Zoowraa

life   

aren't a lot of these midfielders being mentioned cup tied?

we wont spend big money on players who cannot feature in the champions league

or am I wrong?,

I am not 100% clear on the champions league's player eligibility.

sadly this is another reason why the club may not go for a top striker in january

we cannot bring lukaku back either..

I don't think inter are in the champions league so guarin is fine, I am sure thats why we are going for him instead of others in the list, maybe there will be bigger changes in the summer e.g. Lampard and essein making way..

Edited by life

Flinkers   

aren't a lot of these midfielders being mentioned cup tied?

we wont spend big money on players who cannot feature in the champions league

or am I wrong?,

I am not 100% clear on the champions league's player eligibility.

sadly this is another reason why the club may not go for a top striker in january

we cannot bring lukaku back either..

I don't think inter are in the champions league so guarin is fine, I am sure thats why we are going for him instead of others in the list, maybe there will be bigger changes in the summer e.g. Lampard and essein making way..

You're right of course. All of the midfielders mentioned recently with the exception of Guarin and De Rossi are cup-tied for the CL.

I'm suggesting some of these players as an attempt to look further down the line than 2 months.

life   

we will have romeu(who apparently, the club seem to like, I mean I get why, esp for games where you need to mark someone out of the game) and van ginkel back and properly fit next season..

I am not sure we will use the summer to try for another midfielder..not saying we wont, just not sure.

If guarin does come and essein and Lampard do leave in the summer

this will leave us with: ramires, guarin, mikel, van ginkel, romeu, josh..

not sure if chalobah will be primarily used in midfield too..

considering that for a majority of games we have only used, mikel, ramires and Lampard, that CM squad will be adequate

life   

You're right of course. All of the midfielders mentioned recently with the exception of Guarin and De Rossi are cup-tied for the CL.

I'm suggesting some of these players as an attempt to look further down the line than 2 months.

yeah you're absolutely right to do that,

the thing is do you see us going for another midfielder in the summer though?

because if guarin does come and essein and Lampard do leave in the summer

considering that for a majority of games we have only used, mikel, ramires and Lampard, that CM squad will be adequate

Scooba   

yeah you're absolutely right to do that,

the thing is do you see us going for another midfielder in the summer though?

because if guarin does come and essein and Lampard do leave in the summer

Why do you think Josh (who is struggling for games at championship level) will come back and be part of the squad? We would still need an established CM in the summer even with the likely addition of Guarin in Jan.

life   

Why do you think Josh (who is struggling for games at championship level) will come back and be part of the squad? We would still need an established CM in the summer even with the likely addition of Guarin in Jan.

I just listed all the midfielders that will be back, didn't really want to add him to the list because there have been no indications whether he is liked or not, however can ginkel and romeu have had indications,

he will be back so I just added him, and he offers something different to the rest, just like mikel and romeu do.

and like I said, we have only used mikel, ramires and Lampard for a majority of games.., if Lampard and essein do leave and guarin does come,

we will have the players I have listed above.

ramires, guarin, mikel, and van ginkel( who has been touted as the replacement of frank Lampard by club and Mourinho) will probably be used for a majority of games.

unless mikel is to be replaced by someone like matic, I really do not see any movement there.

Unless you can see movement of any kind? and if you do which player do you see us chasing that we have been linked to?

Edited by life

One of my grievances with Mourinho is his reluctance to change his mind on a player, he puts them into a box and keeps them there. He has decided De Bruyne is an attacking midfielder and not good enough for a regular place in the starting line up.

I'm sure De Bruyne would prove his worth if he was played in midfield for a number of games. I would rather we play De Bruyne in midfield than spend another £15 million on a stop-gap, although I do rate Guarin.

Mourinho isn't willing to give the young players a chance. McEachran has disappeared into oblivion, such a waste of talent. Loaning prospects to Championship clubs isn't a good idea. They need to gain experience playing for Chelsea.