Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

1) Yes, I'm sure you would and I have too, but read my later post to hear of my experience doing it.

2) How can you be sure of that?

Make no mistake, I don't want Costa to stay either, but I am aware of the difficulty in learning a new language, that's all.

Fair enough, but as I explained, the language was just the icing on the cake as far as me wanting him to leave.

My main reasons were very different. That was just something extra.

21 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

I am a lifetime fan, in my fifth decade - to be honest, I'm not sure I'd except it for that long

The thrill of watching homegrowns would soon be lost if they start losing lots of games - because once a player is in a top team he has to be judged by the team's standards not on some sentimental attachment to his past

We are always singled out by the media for our 'failures' regarding youth - but I don't see too many other trophy-winning clubs with more than a smattering of homegrown players, anywhere in Europe right now

I'm a lifetime fan in my fourth decade of supporting the club.

I think we need to remain competitive. Dropping to 10th and losing every week isn't acceptable now.

However, if the club made clear they had a plan to integrate the best youngsters - Abraham, Christensen, Mason Mount, Musonda, and others in time, and would make less big name signings to do so (not no new signings, but just a couple in positions we don't have quality young players), and were looking to build medium-long term, not just get immediate success, then I'd take us finishing in the top 6 or top 4 only, and maybe winning a cup or two for a year or two whilst they integrated into the team, and not buying too many players in that time, if it meant they broke through, established themselves and became world-class players who would win us titles and CL titles for many years to come. 

Fergie spent no money in summer 1995. He put total faith in his young players and got rid of some quality experienced players - and it paid off. He'd already given them first team experience in the league cup in previous seasons, starting them all and also bringing them off the bench in league games, and even playing them in the FA Cup, so they already had some first team experience. And he still had more established players like Keane, Cantona, Cole, Giggs, Pallister, Schmeichel, Sharpe, May, and Irwin in the squad around them.

I think that's a good model to look at - though of course, the class of 92 were an exceptional set of players. 

I have to say that I'm on the camp who believes that Costa not speaking English is down to a lack of respect and application.  

Fair enough he might not feel confident enough to do an interview on TV but there have been short pieces of film on Chelsea TV in quite casual settings where one of the other players asked him a question in English and he couldn't get a single syllable of spoken English out.

Unacceptable when you consider that he doesn't have to work 9-5 Monday to Friday or do the shopping or other time consuming chores and he has all the funds and opportunities in the world to learn at home or anywhere else.

Three years! 

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

I have to say that I'm on the camp who believes that Costa not speaking English is down to a lack of respect and application.  

Fair enough he might not feel confident enough to do an interview on TV but there have been short pieces of film on Chelsea TV in quite casual settings where one of the other players asked him a question in English and he couldn't get a single syllable of spoken English out.

Unacceptable when you consider that he doesn't have to work 9-5 Monday to Friday or do the shopping or other time consuming chores and he has all the funds and opportunities in the world to learn at home or anywhere else.

Three years! 

He could be ( gulp ) thick?

57 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

I'm a lifetime fan in my fourth decade of supporting the club.

I think we need to remain competitive. Dropping to 10th and losing every week isn't acceptable now.

However, if the club made clear they had a plan to integrate the best youngsters - Abraham, Christensen, Mason Mount, Musonda, and others in time, and would make less big name signings to do so (not no new signings, but just a couple in positions we don't have quality young players), and were looking to build medium-long term, not just get immediate success, then I'd take us finishing in the top 6 or top 4 only, and maybe winning a cup or two for a year or two whilst they integrated into the team, and not buying too many players in that time, if it meant they broke through, established themselves and became world-class players who would win us titles and CL titles for many years to come. 

Fergie spent no money in summer 1995. He put total faith in his young players and got rid of some quality experienced players - and it paid off. He'd already given them first team experience in the league cup in previous seasons, starting them all and also bringing them off the bench in league games, and even playing them in the FA Cup, so they already had some first team experience. And he still had more established players like Keane, Cantona, Cole, Giggs, Pallister, Schmeichel, Sharpe, May, and Irwin in the squad around them.

I think that's a good model to look at - though of course, the class of 92 were an exceptional set of players. 

in principle, I'm with you, but...

I think we already have that policy - e.g. Christensen has a chance to make himself a genuine first choice when he gets FA Cup and League Cup minutes, maybe even substitutions during CL group games and PL games.

Tammy may get a similar opening next season.

The reality is that those Ferguson kids (as they acknowledge in the film about them) were 'patient' (probably too scared of Ferguson to be anything else). I'm not sure that's the case with the new generation of 'youth'.

The other point that I'd make is that 'your chance' isn't just on the pitch - it's on the training ground, being around the squad etc. They don't clean boots anymore but clearly they have a chance to make a good impression as players who respect senior pros, want to learn, don't tweet racist comments about China etc etc

Kalas has gone back to Fulham on loan. 

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Absolutely. I've been here in Italy now for a bit more than 18 months. I've done and still do Babbel Italian online every day. What's the outcome of that? The outcome is that I know a lot about Italian. I know the verb types, how to conjugate them, I know the major irregular verbs and I know about gender, number and how to use the pronouns etc. Yes, I know quite a lot about Italian, but that's not the same as speaking it live. The problem with speaking it to a native is that they have an annoying habit - they reply! And then no language instruction course can help you. Only experience can. Of course, I can converse a little, to to a greater extent than I did before, but I'm still a significant way off where I'd like to be. So I have sympathy with Diego, although I accept that he may not have been strongly motivated.

In fact, it's very analogous to learning to play a musical instrument. I've played guitar for a long time now and decided to have a bash at learning the blues and boogie-woogie piano now that I have the time. Again, I have excellent learning resources. There's never been a better time to learn to play a musical instrument. If you only used You Tube there's enough on there to support you. 

So what's happened? Again I know a lot about music and how to apply that to the piano. I know how you mmake a major chord and turn it into a minor or diminished chord etc. I can play all types of scales and so on, but yet again that ain't playing the piano. To do that you have to sit at the keyboard and labour hard with your uncooperative hands and  fingers over and over again.

Christ you know it ain't easy! You know how hard it can be!

Interesting point here. I lived and played in Spain back in the day. I think I spoke good very bad Spanish..still do..enough to be able to lip read some of the less complimentary exchanges on televised La Liga games. Great point "knowing about" a language which is not the same as communicating.. Never had a problem on the pitch and as a keeper communicating is a key factor. I suspect Diego is  not a natural student !!

I think his approach overall was/is more important than his ability to absorb a new language.....absorb not learn..thats the key Pete.

1 hour ago, The Fab 4 said:

He has no excuse....

...even Joey Cole bought the Linguaphone box set so could learn American :)

I gather he also learnt a few phrases of Scouse!!! ;-)

I actually saw an interview he did in French when at Lille on loan... absolutely dreadful, but at least he tried.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

He could be ( gulp ) thick?

Probably. I'm going with a lack of respect, application and also thick then.  😉