Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally , I think they've done him proud so far , we'd all like more players , you can argue we need more players , but so far they've done well.

The ridiculous prices that bang average players are going for would put me off If I was in charge of paying for them too.

I read somewhere today that over the last three seasons Ross Barkley has lost possession more times than any other player in the EPL and Everton reportedly want £50 M !

The Mind boggles.

As part of an article I was writing for work (linking protectionism and its impact on IT and comparing it to English football). I did some research on first team player salaries across European teams and South America.. post the laws needing homegrown English players are the most paid and least successful. In Germany the rule needs the club to have 50% home grown talent while in Spain restrictions are only on Non-EU players which also means the league gets one sided- somewhere the FA cup needs to take a call. EPL vs England national team. 

My honest opinion is clubs in England are spending extra money on players which is not really working due to multiple reasons.

Brazil

England

France

Spain

Italy

Germany

Minimum Salary (000's Euros)

Median Salary (000's Euros)

Maximum Salary (000's Euros)

Major honors since 2008

Semi Finalist 2014 WC, Winner Confederations Cup 2009, 2013

-

Runners-Up Euro 2016

Winner WC 2010, Runners-Up Confederations Cup 2013, Winner Euro 2008,2012

Runners-Up Euro 2012

Winner WC 2014, Winner Confederations Cup 2017, Runners-Up Euro 2008

I see that one of the Everton directors is a certain Dr Keith Harris....

....fitting, considering in their game in the Europa League last night, they were absolutely Orville...

I'll get my coat. Oh, you already have it ;)

1 person likes this

^^  there are 3 big big competitions in football.

One is held only every 4 years, and an English team last won it 13 competitions ago.
Another was won by us in 2012, and 4 times by English clubs in the last 20 years.
The third (and just as big as the other two) is won by an English club every year.

So I really can't see how English clubs can be unsuccessful.  

51 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

^^  there are 3 big big competitions in football.

One is held only every 4 years, and an English team last won it 13 competitions ago.
Another was won by us in 2012, and 4 times by English clubs in the last 20 years.
The third (and just as big as the other two) is won by an English club every year.

So I really can't see how English clubs can be unsuccessful.  

you are funny. 

You genuinely believe that the Euros, La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga, the Copa America......I could go on are not "big" competitions. 

On 27 July 2017 at 10:51 AM, A Blue Essien said:

Yes, I see it this way as well. He's put the ball in the boards court. It's up to them to deliver. 

Certainly a better strategy than Jose managed. Jose said we needed re-inforcments and got naught. Considering Conte has a history of walking out of a job may be a good thing here. 

On 27 July 2017 at 2:59 PM, Zoowraa said:

Beat me to it! Exactly, some of the renewal of contracts we give at times is baffling. Its certainly nothing to do with wanting those players to stay or be given a chance. The likes of Van Ginkel, Kalas, Omeruo over the years were given extensions and realistically they are miles away from the first team picture.

I get the protecting value angle as to why we might extend contracts, but these players are not really worth a great deal in all honest. The three mentioned will be lucky to fetch £15 million tops under long contract length.

Hmmm... Interesting considering the discussion we had on Victor Moses a few months back. Nice to see you've changed your mind though😜

On 27 July 2017 at 3:10 PM, Zoowraa said:

The Johnny come lately fans might not, but I think a large majority would accept it. Especially if this was the clear message and direction coming out of the club.

The example of 15/16 is so irrelevant. We started that season as Champions and expectations were huge, to go from champions to lower mid table over that period of time for a club of our standing was unheard of.

Like I say, if the club or manager portray this message then a lot would support it and accept it might be three years of transition. 

The 15/16 season us no relevance whatsoever. Not even when European qualification was a pipe dream did Hiddink give youth a chance. 

By the way, I'm all in your corner when it comes to youth development. 

On 27 July 2017 at 3:11 PM, James Prescott said:

If I ever chose to work abroad I would make a concerted effort to learn the language, before I arrived if possible.

Conte started taking English lessons before his appointment was even confirmed as he knew he had to speak the language. Ranieri learned the language. Pretty much all foreign players who come here make some effort to learn the language even if they don't speak it when they arrive.

Costa has never lifted a finger to do that.

That's not my biggest beef with him though. That would be forgivable if he were 100% committed all season every season, instead of playing when he felt like it - half a season every season. It would be forgivable if didn't constantly ask to leave and openly court Athletico almost every summer (and even during the season), or blackmail Chelsea into selling to them, and party with their shirt on (with his name on the back) whilst still contracted to Chelsea.

I don't want that kind of character anywhere near my club thanks. 

I speak 3 languages fluently and another 2 at a conversational level. 

Trust me, learning a different language is not a mean feat. Hearing an Englishman crying about it actually makes it hilarious. You lot are the second worst in the civilised world to speak a foreign language only beaten by your hillbilly cousins across the pond. 

On 27 July 2017 at 3:22 PM, James Prescott said:

On the youngsters, Jody Morris - who coaches them, sees them all the time and is proper Chelsea and cares about the club being successful - said some of the players in the team which won the Youth Cup and Reserve PL league this year (like Mason Mount, Sterling, Clarke-Salter, Chalobah Jr) were good enough for the Chelsea first team now. 

23 hours ago, Ham said:

Probably. I'm going with a lack of respect, application and also thick then.  😉

Sorry, quoting function effed up.

James: If Jody said that I'm worried. The club should act and look to replace him. He doesn't know what he's doing... 

Ham: when you have moved abroad and gained the ability to speak a foreign language you are able to have an opinion. Until then you're merely misinformed. 

16 hours ago, James Prescott said:

I heard an interview with Makelele who said when he first encountered Bakayoko he was in a similar position to Barkley. Lots of talent, but poor attitude and work ethic. Maka turned him around with good coaching and advice. I think Conte can do the same with Barkley. There's a reason so many clubs want him - he has talent. He just needs the right guidance and training. 

Either you've got no clue what you're on about or Makelele is lying. Claude has never managed Bakayoko over a longer period of time. 

16 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Why would we sign Barkley when we have Baker? Signing average players ahead of promoting youth players to be real squad members adds to the sense of disillusionment surrounding the academy at the moment.

Sign top players please (Bakayoko, Morata, hopefully Alex Sandro) or use the youngsters we have.

Quite. 

15 hours ago, kev61 said:

Fair enough Pete I was pissed at the time of typing - night night😊

Thanks for staying the obvious. My base case scenario is that you're always pissed;) 

10 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

Barkley, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Davies, Llorente, Sandro, Candreva, Van Dyk, Dembele...

...Guess who's guessing again?*

* (Clue - they work for newspapers)

Hmm... 

9 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Not sure about that

Quite. They work for social media or the click-bait culture we have these days. 

8 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

With the possibility that Mbappe is off to Real , how about a cheeky bid for Isco ?

Or Bale...

50 minutes ago, jangz said:

As part of an article I was writing for work (linking protectionism and its impact on IT and comparing it to English football). I did some research on first team player salaries across European teams and South America.. post the laws needing homegrown English players are the most paid and least successful. In Germany the rule needs the club to have 50% home grown talent while in Spain restrictions are only on Non-EU players which also means the league gets one sided- somewhere the FA cup needs to take a call. EPL vs England national team. 

My honest opinion is clubs in England are spending extra money on players which is not really working due to multiple reasons.

Brazil

England

France

Spain

Italy

Germany

Minimum Salary (000's Euros)

Median Salary (000's Euros)

Maximum Salary (000's Euros)

Major honors since 2008

Semi Finalist 2014 WC, Winner Confederations Cup 2009, 2013

-

Runners-Up Euro 2016

Winner WC 2010, Runners-Up Confederations Cup 2013, Winner Euro 2008,2012

Runners-Up Euro 2012

Winner WC 2014, Winner Confederations Cup 2017, Runners-Up Euro 2008

Minimum salary in England is €100,000?

I'm sorry but that is CLEARLY bs.

Gurj: I hope you can forget me. 

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

you are funny. 

You genuinely believe that the Euros, La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga, the Copa America......I could go on are not "big" competitions. 

If anyone seriously thinks that;

Schmeichel, De Laet, Drinkwater, Morgan, Huth, Vardy, King, Albrighton, Kante, Schlupp, Simpson, Okazaki, Gray, Ulloa, Dyer, Mahrez and Fuchs;

are good enough to win the premier league but not any of the competitions you've listed they're certifiable. 

23 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Minimum salary in England is €100,000?

I'm sorry but that is CLEARLY bs.

Gurj: I hope you can forget me. 

First team England .. I thought I mentioned it somewhere. 

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

If anyone seriously thinks that;

Schmeichel, De Laet, Drinkwater, Morgan, Huth, Vardy, King, Albrighton, Kante, Schlupp, Simpson, Okazaki, Gray, Ulloa, Dyer, Mahrez and Fuchs;

are good enough to win the premier league but not any of the competitions you've listed they're certifiable. 

Those players are known because of their title winning season, before that they were just relegation battlers and nothing more.

I still can't explain how Leicester won it.

But I can give it a shot...

If Crotone won Serie A. Sporting Gijon won La Liga. If Bastia won French League 1. If Mainz won Bundesliga. Now...would these teams come first in the Prem if they won their leagues? In my opinion they wouldn't, and they wouldn't win any of the one-off tournaments either.

Edited by GURJ SS

Dave - You must have misread my post because my opinion has not changed. I always understood your position ref Moses and protecting his value, my point was and is in the post above, I don't think much stock is put in that for fringe players such as Moses was at the time and the players getting new contracts are now. These players values are pretty minimal for a club of Chelsea's size, we tend to sell fringe players at arguably below their value anyway, so I don't think we give extensions to the likes of Kalas for example, to protect his value . 

I don't know what the thinking behind this is though .As you mention Moses and changing ones mind, I would think that's your position surely. We argued on and off for years about him not being given a chance in the squad, yet here he is a league title winning regular no less. Looks like you and the special one were wrong 😜

Top line bet. Anyone else think this is a bit of value.

4 horse race really. The obvious favourite is completely new to the league and may take time. The second favourite is quite badly injured and will miss start of the season. Other possible option is Bats who is still an unlikely starter as we speak.

I think taking all into account, this 14/1 looks to big a price for a player who gets in good positions and is a good finisher.

IMG_0094.JPG