Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, The Fab 4 said:

Dutch?

Good try mate. May I ask why you say that?

Maybe because dutch sounds like someone is trying to release some phlegm from their throat? (watch me get another warning for being "offensive")

3 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Good try mate. May I ask why you say that?

I believe its meant to be one of the easier languages to learn. But honestly have no idea why its said so.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Maybe because dutch sounds like someone is trying to release some phlegm from their throat? (watch me get another warning for being "offensive")

Steve McClaren likes this.👍

:)

Edited by The Fab 4
2 people like this

18 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Impressive stuff Dave , but not that surprising since I've always found Swedes, in fact Scandis generally, to be really good at English for sure.

The other day I saw a table of the "easiest languages for a native English speaker to learn".

What do you reckon number 1 was?

Was it 'straayliaaaan?

Just now, The Fab 4 said:

I believe its meant to be one of the easier languages to learn. But honestly have no idea why its said so.

Fair enough. You're quite right. It is one of the easiest for the native English speaker to learn, but it's not number 1. It was number 3 in fact. This was because it is said to have the same structure and syntax, as well as common Germanic root words,

In my opinion, that may well be true, but I find it so fearsomely difficult to pronounce the words that it's rules out for me.

Any other suggestions?

7 minutes ago, The Fab 4 said:

Steve McClaren likes this.👍

:)

Excellent! Indeed he does.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Was it 'straayliaaaan?

Aught to be be mate! Fair dinkum it should.

Edited by PeteRobbo

Putting my sensible hat on, I'd say French (followed by German). From 1066 until around 1400 we had French speaking monarchs and nobles, laws were written in French, and what we think of as English has roots in both Germanic and Romantic (French, Italian, Latin) languages.

1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

Putting my sensible hat on, I'd say French (followed by German). From 1066 until around 1400 we had French speaking monarchs and nobles, laws were written in French, and what we think of as English has roots in both Germanic and Romantic (French, Italian, Latin) languages.

Very good reasoning Bob, but in fact French was at number 7 in the list and German didn't even make the top 10!

French is there because we have so many words in common, more than with any other of the Romance languages , (French, Spanish, Italian), in fact.