Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Assuming Standard English (which far too many are unable to speak)  and American have been ruled out, I'll go for one of the Fresian languages, which I dare say few speak now, but are languages in Holland, and I recall hearing that they are the nearest to our original anglo-saxon.  Not sure which of the three though.  (And yes, Fresia - where the cows come from)

Or it might just be a cheat - esperanto.

After learning Polish and forgetting most of my French over the years, I am still amazed at how French still seems to be structured in proper sentences.  I don't understand much French now, and my Polish is pretty good.  But Polish remains a kind of computer language, where I can understand the code and send messages, but has no music to it at all.
(And French grammar is incredibly easy and English like compared to a slavic one).

Esperanto is a good shout Droy. It came in at number 10.

Thanks Pete...I'd like to dedicate this award to Tore Andre Flo!!!!

Interesting stuff Pete....might think about learning it just to add it to my C.V. 😁

18 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Indeed Jane. You might recall that, shortly after he signed for us, a news article stated as follows:

" And Ruud Gullit, Dutch new signing for Chelsea speaks 4 languages. That's three and a half more than the average English footballer".

Ha ha!!! I'm not sure if you've just made that up Pete but absolutely spot on!!!!!!

1 minute ago, JaneB said:

Ha ha!!! I'm not sure if you've just made that up Pete but absolutely spot on!!!!!!

Nope. That is, well I'll say it again, "fair dinkum cobber".

1 person likes this

Que paso con esta discusion? 

1 minute ago, Ham said:

Que paso con esta discusion? 

Sorry mate. I don't understand your banter.

Just now, PeteRobbo said:

Sorry mate. I don't understand your banter.

Hillbilly 😉

5 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Impressive stuff Dave , but not that surprising since I've always found Swedes, in fact Scandis generally, to be really good at English for sure.

The other day I saw a table of the "easiest languages for a native English speaker to learn".

What do you reckon number 1 was?

I haven't went to the end of the thread but I was always led to believe that German was the easiest language to learn.

Having travelled a fair bit  - the dutch,Iceland and scandinavian countries have the best ditction when it comes to speaking English.

7 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Those players are known because of their title winning season, before that they were just relegation battlers and nothing more.

I still can't explain how Leicester won it.

But I can give it a shot...

If Crotone won Serie A. Sporting Gijon won La Liga. If Bastia won French League 1. If Mainz won Bundesliga. Now...would these teams come first in the Prem if they won their leagues? In my opinion they wouldn't, and they wouldn't win any of the one-off tournaments either.

Leicester would have zero chance of winning La Liga, Serie A or the Bundesliga. Zero

There's always a bad excuse for the ones who claim England is the best league. In reality, it really isn't. 

Unless we're talking about the ability to waste money on overrated players. Then their in a league of their own. 

I'll reiterate my previous point. ****ing Leicester won the PL. Leicester!!!

Now try to make a serious claim the Premier League is the best league in the world with a straight face.