Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Ok. So no confirmation yet of any new and replacement signing 1 day after sale of Matic. I thought this was supposed to come right after the Matic announcement? Should have come BEFORE the sale even, but as of today, there are rumours still our supposed midfield targets to replace him are not for sale? Apparently it is only now that we are starting to look or negotiate for a replacement. Or so it seems. Brilliant.

You shouldn't believe the ITKs... neither those to be found on Twitter, nor those to be found amongst us here.

The reality is that whilst negotiating purchases, we are also negotiating sales. One deal will always be done before another, so sometimes we sell and then buy, at other times we buy and then sell. The press have no more idea about what's going on than we, the supporters, do, When one of their stories runs out of gas, they find/invent a new one. We've sold Matic, so any midfielder they now write about is his replacement, neatly forgetting that we got his replacement (Bakayoko, lest you had forgotten, too!) before we sold Matic. What we are in fact doing is looking for a back-up to the three players who will most play in our midfield two. A back-up to a back-up, in a way.

2 people like this

31 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

You shouldn't believe the ITKs... neither those to be found on Twitter, nor those to be found amongst us here.

The reality is that whilst negotiating purchases, we are also negotiating sales. One deal will always be done before another, so sometimes we sell and then buy, at other times we buy and then sell. The press have no more idea about what's going on than we, the supporters, do, When one of their stories runs out of gas, they find/invent a new one. We've sold Matic, so any midfielder they now write about is his replacement, neatly forgetting that we got his replacement (Bakayoko, lest you had forgotten, too!) before we sold Matic. What we are in fact doing is looking for a back-up to the three players who will most play in our midfield two. A back-up to a back-up, in a way.

Well said Bob...this post should be at the top of every new page to keep things absolutely in perspective and posters from a new meltdown every day....

1 hour ago, synavm said:

Was just chatting to my mate. As things stand, I think City are absolutely walking this league. Record points possibly.

I stated last season that Citeh would win at a canter..... got that right didn't I !!!! in preseason matchups a side with the skill set of Citeh will always look great as the edge is not there as in tough league games and that slight more time allowed is absolutely capitalized by such skillful players...still think they should be thereabouts but remember the great ball jugglers etc would get kicked off the park if they tried fancy Dan stuff in a game. Basically all ball control is used to make space to work in. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4749766/Chelsea-transfer-woe-summer-going-wrong.html

As far as ITK's go I really hope some of the names we've recently been linked with and the attached figures are wide of the mark...

Some tidy business can be wrapped up towards the end of the window (Luiz etc...) but would prefer to get deals done sooner rather than later as most clubs will want replacements in before they sell decent calibre players.

I'm still trying to figure out if our transfer policy per se is 'predictable' or 'unpredictable' 😁

23 minutes ago, The Fab 4 said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4749766/Chelsea-transfer-woe-summer-going-wrong.html

As far as ITK's go I really hope some of the names we've recently been linked with and the attached figures are wide of the mark...

Some tidy business can be wrapped up towards the end of the window (Luiz etc...) but would prefer to get deals done sooner rather than later as most clubs will want replacements in before they sell decent calibre players.

I'm still trying to figure out if our transfer policy per se is 'predictable' or 'unpredictable' 😁

I know it's going back a while, but I seem to recall Makélélé being a deadline-day purchase!

Yes, it would be preferable to get deals done as early as possible, but the more important criteria is getting the right deal for the right player, no matter what the timing! If it's true that we missed out on Lukaku because we refused to pay his agent some enormous kick-back (surely the player should be paying the agent, not the buying club?) then the club are to be commended.

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I know it's going back a while, but I seem to recall Makélélé being a deadline-day purchase!

Yes, it would be preferable to get deals done as early as possible, but the more important criteria is getting the right deal for the right player, no matter what the timing! If it's true that we missed out on Lukaku because we refused to pay his agent some enormous kick-back (surely the player should be paying the agent, not the buying club?) then the club are to be commended.

Bob, stop speaking so much common sense, someone will come and take you away in a van. 

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Bob, stop speaking so much common sense, someone will come and take you away in a van. 

Too late... I'm typing from a padded cell at this very moment!

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Problem is Bob, when the season ended, the majority said that we needed to buy another midfielder to make up the numbers as having four CM's was too short and that the quality was not good enough. Since then, we have sold Chabolah and Matic and replaced the two of them with Bakayoko. Obviously, Chabolah may be replaced with Baker but that still means we are one midfielder short. Therefore, it could be said that we have not actually done anything to address our numbers or quality in midfield. 

Personally, I was ok with our market up until the weekend as I thought to myself that whilst things were not progressing as quickly as I had hoped, we were getting some business (even if I did not agree with most of it) done. However, at this time of writing we currently have the following squad:

Tibo, Willy, Eduardo

Cahill, Luiz, Christensen, Dave, Rudiger

Moses, Alonso

Kante, Cesc, Bakayoko, Baker

Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Musonda

Morata, Bats

That squad a week away from the start of the season (I include the CS as the season opener) is an absolute joke. Not only does it only consist of 17 outfielder players, two of whom face an unknown future - Musonda and Baker - but we have also got two/three injuries (Hazard, Bakayoko and Pedro) and one player apparently unfit (Morata). On top of this, we do not have our top scorer or second most played CM from last season, while our manager is clearly stating whenever he can that we need players ASAP. For me, this can only mean one or two things. The first is that our team that negotiate transfers are incompetent and/or universally disliked or secondly that we do not want to pony up. Now I do not normally mind refusing to do transfer business when a players fee gets out of hand - see my comments on Lukaku - but if you are going to do this you cannot start selling off all your players. I mean seriously, why sell Ake, Chabolah and Matic so early unless we already have deals in place for incoming players? For me the way we have approached transfers for the past three years shows that the manager has little input and the people running the show have little idea of how football works. I mean even if we have an amazing end of the window, it will not be until the end of September until the new recruits are settled and by then we would have played 3 of the top seven from last season and two CL games.  

4 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

For me the way we have approached transfers for the past three years shows that the manager has little input and the people running the show have little idea of how football works. I mean even if we have an amazing end of the window, it will not be until the end of September until the new recruits are settled and by then we would have played 3 of the top seven from last season and two CL games.  

Yet, we have won two premier league titles. 

We have actually done some brilliant business in the last 3 years. 

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yet, we have won two premier league titles. 

We have actually done some brilliant business in the last 3 years. 

With one of those having no CL commitments therefore could afford to play the same team week in and week out.

Selling players, sure. Buying-not so much.