Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

Liverpool Echo saying this morning that we're now leading the race for Ross Barkley. Not sure how accurate they are, but that's what's being reported today.

Neymar for £195 million...football has gone crazy. The thing about the Neymar thing, is there are some Chelsea fans out there who think we're a "small club" for not being willing to make a statement and sign a big player like Neymar. But honestly, that money for one player is ridiculous, I don't care who he is.

16 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Surely that goes both ways no? 

Of course it does, but I think any player would argue they need a run of games to demonstrate any sort of form, whether you are Salah or Hazard. 

FWIW I don't blame the club for selling them, or the manager for not picking them, but I don't sit in either, "it's all the managers fault" camp or the "it's all the board's fault" camp. 

Posted (edited)

Defenders have problems dealing with Crouch (as Cahill and Klavan have admitted) He's no Jan Koller or Nicola Zigic, he can play a bit on the ground too, while offering what they have. And he'd be a reliable option after all the shenanigans from Costa....

17 minutes ago, bert19 said:

He doesn't strike me as a very mature or particularly bright young man.  Had a pretty decent opportunity to show what he could do at Watford last season and was sent back pretty sharpish.  Maybe that was a big warning sign (in hindsight) ? 

To be honest, I've long had my suspicions he's a bit of a wally.  The Mickey Pearce moustache, awful dress sense and stupid social media posts were all a bit of a giveaway. 

Funny thing is initial signs looked good...if he has have knuckled down, forgot the social media shenanigans and tried to establish himself, winning friends and influencing people by means of being a positive representative of the club, he'd surely be further along in his development.

Edited by The Fab 4

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Of course it does, but I think any player would argue they need a run of games to demonstrate any sort of form, whether you are Salah or Hazard. 

FWIW I don't blame the club for selling them, or the manager for not picking them, but I don't sit in either, "it's all the managers fault" camp or the "it's all the board's fault" camp. 

Sure - but every time a manager plays an underperforming player he gambles with his job. 

Ultimately the situation we have at the club is created by the board and their actions. Not backing title winning managers with a proper squad has happened on more than one occasion and bar a minor miracle will happen this summer as well. When things goes downhill we sack the manager and start over again. 

What is Conte supposed to do? Give Musonda, Baker, Kenedy and Boga plenty of minutes and lose his job by Christmas? Or play the 12-14 outfield players that performs into the ground? 

Of course the latter. But that will have consequences for those players long term and is not sustainable. 

The first step to solve this is to give the manager a squad. But we are failing at that hurdle time and time again. That is the boards fault - absolutely no doubt about that. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Sky Sports are reporting that La Liga officials said this morning of Neymar's release clause "We will not accept the money for the clause. We have doubts this money is in accordance with UEFA Financial Fair Play rules." 

PSG are going to La Liga's offices this afternoon to discuss this. But looks like the deal is in trouble. I'm not surprised at this, because the fee is gigantic and there's no way they can pay it and meet FFP.

Edited by James Prescott

7 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Liverpool Echo saying this morning that we're now leading the race for Ross Barkley. Not sure how accurate they are, but that's what's being reported today.

Neymar for £195 million...football has gone crazy. The thing about the Neymar thing, is there are some Chelsea fans out there who think we're a "small club" for not being willing to make a statement and sign a big player like Neymar. But honestly, that money for one player is ridiculous, I don't care who he is.

The article says we're "serious contenders" to sign him, not leading any sort of race.

Oh please - you'd love it if we did something like that as would the majority of Chelsea fans.

1 minute ago, James Prescott said:

La Liga officials said this morning of Neymar's release clause "We will not accept the money for the clause. We have doubts this money is in accordance with UEFA Financial Fair Play rules." 

PSG are going to La Liga's offices this afternoon to discuss this. But looks like the deal is in trouble. I'm not surprised at this, because the fee is gigantic and there's no way they can pay it and meet FFP.

If La Liga officials are really going to quote FFP rules and get all sanctimonious with PSG, they could find themselves in a fair bit of trouble quite quickly.  The bending of some of the rules and flagrant disregard of others in order to favour Real & Barca is there for all to see.  

Barca will take the money.  He's one player, they're selling for an absolute fortune, he'll be replaced and the club will go on as normal.  

3 minutes ago, bert19 said:

If La Liga officials are really going to quote FFP rules and get all sanctimonious with PSG, they could find themselves in a fair bit of trouble quite quickly.  The bending of some of the rules and flagrant disregard of others in order to favour Real & Barca is there for all to see.  

Barca will take the money.  He's one player, they're selling for an absolute fortune, he'll be replaced and the club will go on as normal.  

Exactly. All this stuff from La Liga is purely for entertainment purposes.

4 minutes ago, Dingus said:

The article says we're "serious contenders" to sign him, not leading any sort of race.

Oh please - you'd love it if we did something like that as would the majority of Chelsea fans.

Fair enough on Barkley. The line I read about the Liverpool Echo said 'leading the race', but might have been inaccurate. Still, even serious contenders is more than we've been thus far.

I'd love it if we signed a player like Neymar, but if we're going to go bankrupt doing it, I'd rather not. 

Signing a player for £100 million or even £150 million I could just about deal with if it were the right player, but for £200 million? Not sure. You'd have to be Messi or Ronaldo at your absolute peak for me to even consider spending that amount of money. 

To me the key question about Neymar is whether his moving from Barce to PSG will make much difference to either club. Seems like a No to me.