Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,294 posts in this topic

I thought PSG were getting around FFP by paying Neymar the buyout clause (officially to be an ambassador for the company that owns PSG), and then he would pay the buyout clause technically from his own money.

It's a clever way around it. I suspect it will work, and that's what PSG will try to demonstrate. La Liga have to say something when it's a fee this big, to avoid suspicion and to be seen to be complying with the rules. And it's La Liga that initially receive the money it seems - Barca get it ultimately but it has to go through La Liga first. 

FFP was always about maintaining the value of the CL as a merchantable entity by ensuring that the top clubs - the ones that attract the biggest audiences and have the biggest revenues - are always present in the final stages of the competition.

Eh, not an FFP expert but this La Liga stalling is just them protecting one of their babies. Why would they care if the money complies with a french clubs FFP restrictions, they just want to protect barcelona from he big bad outsider knocking them off their perch.

50 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Liverpool Echo saying this morning that we're now leading the race for Ross Barkley. Not sure how accurate they are, but that's what's being reported today.

Neymar for £195 million...football has gone crazy. The thing about the Neymar thing, is there are some Chelsea fans out there who think we're a "small club" for not being willing to make a statement and sign a big player like Neymar. But honestly, that money for one player is ridiculous, I don't care who he is.

This coming from someone who kept saying we should just pay whatever Everton and his agent want to sign Lukaku in order to make a statement!

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

To be honest, I've long had my suspicions he's a bit of a wally.  The Mickey Pearce moustache, awful dress sense and stupid social media posts were all a bit of a giveaway. 

You get a Lol for that .

However in his defence I do feel that what he said has been taken literally and suffered in translation somewhat , with '**** ! China! 'Being translated as '**** China'.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

When? I can't think of a single game he has even played left wing back, which is an entirely different prospect to playing left back in a four. 

He's played left back, and imo can play as a left wing back, if needed. Same as can on the right when/if needed. OK with you now?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, The Fab 4 said:

Defenders have problems dealing with Crouch (as Cahill and Klavan have admitted) He's no Jan Koller or Nicola Zigic, he can play a bit on the ground too, while offering what they have. And he'd be a reliable option after all the shenanigans from Costa....

Funny thing is initial signs looked good...if he has have knuckled down, forgot the social media shenanigans and tried to establish himself, winning friends and influencing people by means of being a positive representative of the club, he'd surely be further along in his development.

Peter Crouch is such a non-option I cannot believe that people are mentioning it (if this is all a joke that has gone over my head then apologies). There are plenty of 3rd choice strikers out there that can be had, Bacca, Llorente, Adruiz (one season maybe), Defoe (before he went), Giroud etc. For me we can sign one a player of this type and have them on the bench. Obviously fees come into it but some of those players could be had for a decent fee. Bacca for instance is actively being pushed out of Milan.

I always find it tough to be too critical of players such as Kenedy and Costa for not conforming to social standards we expect. I mean these boys grew up in flavels where most of them did not get a formal education and it is dog eat dog. To expect them to suddenly become amazing role models because they get a bit of cash is not going to happen. 

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

Sky Sports are reporting that La Liga officials said this morning of Neymar's release clause "We will not accept the money for the clause. We have doubts this money is in accordance with UEFA Financial Fair Play rules." 

PSG are going to La Liga's offices this afternoon to discuss this. But looks like the deal is in trouble. I'm not surprised at this, because the fee is gigantic and there's no way they can pay it and meet FFP.

This reminds me of when the bandstand leader in the Godfather refuses to release Vito's nephew from his contract. Let's hope the Spanish FA know what they are doing, haha.

Edited by Conte Kante

11 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

Let's hope the Spanish FA know what they are doing, haha.

UEFA have stated there's nothing the Spanish FA can do to block the move apparently. 

If Neymar is a done deal expect Barca to come knocking for Coutinho, then the Liverpool Echo will be making a different noise!

Posted (edited)

What does Coutinho then go for? £120 Million? This market was already mental... now it's batshit loopy.

Edited by synavm