Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'm not denying that... I'm just questioning why you stated that we would be playing 3 games a week when clearly we're not! Stop listening to the 'pundits' who regurgitate this nonsense on a regular basis.

110% agree.  I've said so literally a million times too.

1 hour ago, Conte Kante said:

I think you will find our net spend is actually about +£18m. 

I was referring to this summer's sales and included the Oscar money as a separate item, but the point is the same either way. I think a large chunk is earmarked for Sandro, the next option after him will be £30m cheaper and could impact who else we go for elsewhere in the squad, as will the figure we get for Costa.

10 minutes ago, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

We must remember to thank them for the £40M when we buy Neymar ;-)

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We must remember to thank them for the £40M when we buy Neymar ;-)

Surely with our board you mean No more? 😀

14 minutes ago, The Fab 4 said:

Surely with our board you mean No more? 😀

More realistic !

6 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

You're obviously pretty desperate for Barkley to join, can't say I am. Where do you think he will play? Not good enough defensively for the two cm positions and not as good as our existing options for the winger/inside forward positions. Even if we move to 352 or 3412 the Cesc, Bats and Morata and even Pedro and Willian are probably ahead of him for the front three positions anyway.

On top of that do we really want to negotiate with Everton and give them a shed load of money for a cast off in the last year of his contract. No thanks.

Too much money for a third option player who doesn't fit any position in the system.

EDIT- Lewis Baker is very talented and falls into the same category of no stand out position for him to play, would rather we kept him rather than go fro Barkley

I honestly think there's some Chelsea bias when it comes to players like Baker, RLC and Chalobah.

I am huge fans of all of these players, and they all have potential - and I'd love them to make it at Chelsea, without any doubt.

But here's the thing. None of them have been a regular starter at PL level for any club, none of them have played international football. Barkley has done all of this. He's got more experience, and is further along in his development than any of them. Yes, he still has a lot of progress to make, but he's well ahead of the players we have. 

I've always been a Barkley fan - he has great talent (and the stats seem to actually show it) - he just needs the right guidance to make the most of it. He needs to improve his fitness, work rate, and to be challenged to fight for his place. He needs good coaching and management. And if there's anyone who's excellent at harnessing young talent and making it flower, and getting the best out of players, it's Antonio Conte. He made Pogba the player he is, he made Moses and Alonso look world class - he's the man to do it. 

I think he can play the box-to-box role like Lampard (indeed I think we've looked at him for a while and were linked under Jose, to replace Lamps when he left), but he can also play number 10, or can play in a front 3. He'll allow us the option to play 3-5-2 (where Hazard would be 'second striker', behind Morata), but could also play in a 3-4-3 in the front 3, more centrally, allowing the wing backs to get forward.

There's no way Baker is ready to play first team football for us. I think Musonda is ready to get a chance here. I think in a years time Abraham will be ready, and he is getting regular first team experience to make him ready. I also think Christensen is ready. RLC will show whether he's good enough this year with Palace. But Baker isn't ready. He needs a loan to a PL club where he'll play regularly - and if he does well, bring him back then.

Many here thought Bamford was good enough to start for us when we sent him out on loan. But in two years away at other PL clubs, he's barely made a dent. He wasn't good enough, but we still made a profit. We need to look at our players objectively. 

I personally think Ake and Chalobah will prove to be good enough and may well come back. They may not, but we'll see this season, as we will with RLC. 

Barkley is ready to make the step up now and play regularly for us. Baker isn't. Yet.

Sky are saying Candreva is 'untouchable'. Maybe it'll be Ox as RWB, Barkley as the AM, and then we'll need a LWB and CM. Sky Italia say we've not given up on Sandro, but it's still unlikely in my view.

Neymar's news - £198 million fee, £250 million contract - reminds me of how we were so close to signing him before he went to Barca, but it fell through. Imagine if we'd got him and had Hazard and Neymar in our front three.  He'd have left us too, but man, what a player to have.

I think going to France is bad for his career. Yes, he might win the French league, or even the CL possibly. But it's a tinpot league, not a test, and he won't improve as a player as much as he would in, say, the PL. If he was going to move, and to improve, I think his best move would have been England. Sky are saying United were close to signing him last summer. (Odds on Jose turned it down...doesn't track back.)

I don't think we were close to signing him at all. We would not have facilitated that dodgy contract or payments to his father. 

Posted (edited)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/west-ham-12million-bid-neymar-10917748

First time I ever heard the name Neymar, he was linked with West Ham. They could see he was going to be some footballer from from miles away.

Now the only ones seeing some footballers from miles away are the fans at their home games 😋

Edited by The Fab 4
2 people like this